Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-25-2003, 04:28 AM   #31
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

No matter how you slice it, comparing a $5900 SV650 to a $10,000 Buell doesn't present much valid information to perspective buyers because they are in completely different markets. Most everyone complains of the SV's crude suspension--cheaply & easily fixable. Many complain of the Buell's ancient lump of an engine--very fixable, not quite so cheaply. You pay for personality. Hell, an '03 Speed Triple lists for $300 more than a GSXR1000. The Aprilla Tuono is in the same category--big fun, bigger price. You pays yer money and makes yer choice, but comparing the SV to a $4000+ more expensive Buell is like comparing a double-wide in Mort's Mobile Home Park to the Biltmore Estates.

I had an '02 SV650 (slightly modified motor and the Progreesive front end set-up for under $100). It was the most pure fun I've ever had on two wheels. Period. I sold it and bought an '02 Speed Triple. For some reason, we never quite meshed. Sold it and bought an '03 GSXR1000--now we're really clickin'! It MAY take the SV's place as the most fun as long as my right wrist maintains it's composure.

Since I haven't ridden any of the three bikes in this comparison, I am totally unqualified to discuss JB's opinions. They may be quite correct. I'm simply saying this type of comparison doesn't apply to the machinery's potential buyer's market. How much sense would a comparson of the Buell XB9S, a Yamaha Road Star, and a GSXR1000 make?? They are all + or - $500 of the $10,500 midpoint. The greatest actor in the world will fail miserably if he doesn't understand the audience he's playing to. I think JB missed his target by a mile. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2003, 04:28 AM   #32
Van
Founding Member

Apples and oranges, JB.

What if you actually intend to ride the damn thing, instead of just buying it to say you have it?

What are the odds of the Buell being able to go the distance (or even a relatively short sprint, in motorcycling ownership terms) vs the SV1000?

No, Buell didn't exist as we know it today, not twenty years ago, but Buell has been around long enough now. In that time, how many high mileage/trouble free Buells have we seen, vs Suzukis?

Moreover, let's say you need to commute on your bike, for a living. Let's also say you enjoy taking the occasional trip; far, far away from the comforting proximity of your woodpile and/or nearest Buell dealer.

It'll be just you, your bike and your desire to make it through said trip without any glitches. You'll also be wanting to repeat these experiences and expectations over a period of years.

Hell, you might even look to surpass 20k miles, overall, on your scoot. (Gasp!)

SV1000 or Buell?

Uh huh.

Enjoy taking your car to the Guggenheim.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 04:29 AM   #33
Randy_P_Moran
Founding Member

Default Buell--Puh-Leeze!

I've seen (and ridden) 5-year-old Buells..."Lovingly maintained" and "Low-maintenance" are not words usually used to describe them--and for good reason. They are crap, pure and simple. Crappy design, crappy execution, crappity-crap-crap. They might as well forego the hydraulic valve setup--the valves are real easy to get to once the bike falls apart around them. Put 'em on a 10,000 mile adjustment interval--that oughta be about right. I shudder to think what one might look like after 10 years of actual use.

My meticulously-maintained 2000 SV, on the other hand, is a beautiful example of competent engineering and conscientious execution, all rolled up in an inexpensive, easy-to-use package. It's called "Value" and THAT'S timeless. And I can by TWO SV's for the price of one Buell heap. Give me the $4500 bucks to throw at a stock SV and I will have your Buell lunch on any track you care to name. Hell, I'd probably be able to do that anyway, right freakin' now.

Buell...What a crock of *****. You bring that Buell anytime, Meat.
Randy_P_Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 04:51 AM   #34
dominatr37
Founding Member

Default Re: Infinitley rebuildable

That's funny. i have 48,000 miles on my '98 YZF600R, and I've not had the chance, or need to rebuild it as of yet. Still runs great. Uses no oil, and just kicks ass. Nothing to make me "Go broke in the process". Oh ye of little thought processess, and to much bowing before the false god of harley...
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 04:56 AM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Infinitley rebuildable

And when it breaks, and it will break, what are you going to do with it? Should we reserve your spot at the boneyard now, or just stick it on the end of the pile?
Old 06-25-2003, 05:01 AM   #36
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Or a VFR...
Old 06-25-2003, 05:07 AM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I would have liked to see how a used VFR would have done in this test as well.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 05:12 AM   #38
theovenmits
Founding Member

Default You've got to be kidding, right?

Burns is pullin' our legs - spoutin' off about how reliable an HD engine is!! Makin like it'll last 20 years 'n all! Putting a $6G bike against two $10G+ bikes!!

Comedy is just one of the unadvertised benefits of throwing money at MO.
theovenmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 05:15 AM   #39
caseyheilman
Founding Member

Easy Helter:

He's being sarcastic. He's saying that if you've never even ridden a Buell, then you shouldn't say they suck. He's saying that most of the people on this website that are complaining about the Buells are only going on what they read on other websites because they have NO real world experience.

I'm glad to hear that you're not having any problems with your Buell.
caseyheilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 05:19 AM   #40
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell--Puh-Leeze!

CouldnÂ’t have put it better myself.

I just completed a track day and the Buell in the group was just a road hazard to get around, whether exiting a corner or on the straights. We had a Moto Guzzi V11 Scura in the group that blasted past the Buell with ease. Trying to compare the Buell to any sport bike is a joke...