Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-06-2003, 09:44 AM   #321
io
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

I don't think so. From what I've been reading the vast love of the SV650 in the popular motorcycling press seems more suspect than this comparo.

If you read the other articles on here it's obvious Burnsie has a great love for the Buell, in XB9S or R guise.

And most of what he *****ed about for the SV650 would possibly be fixed by simply moving up to the SV1000. I personally like the looks of the new frame, though I'd definitely prefer a steel-tube trellis frame, the better to show off that lovely V-twin.

Of course, As far as I know SV1000's aren't yet available to the motoring press, just the SV1000S version. Looks like they tested what they could get their hands on.

Ideally testing the SV1000 and the Rockster with the Buell and the Duc would've been great from my perspective. However, I've still gotta find some time off of work to go test ride them myself and see what I think...
io is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2003, 08:38 PM   #322
mattlyxr
Founding Member

The most irritating thing about this thread is that very few people are pissed off at Burn's reference to N****A. Giving those bastards free print is a far greater sin than panning the SV. As for those who are shocked at Burn's love for the Buell, check your back (print) issues, you will find he has a long-standing love affair with technologically innovative, difficult to live with American "sportfighters".
mattlyxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:18 PM   #323
joetheedge
Founding Member

just finished reading the naked twins article and i must say i agree. i sold my fzr1000 a few months ago and was looking for a new bike when i saw the new xb9s at a harley shop. it was october and the snow was already falling, but the dealer was in the mood to deal and i ended up riding the little buell home in a wet snow. well the winter was long and i really didnt mind that i couldnt use the bike as my son and i have ski passes and that keeps my mind off of the bikes. i have had many bikes over the years, harleys triumph 650's a few jap sport bikes, even a bmw r90s. i always lean toward lite and nimble, as my motorcycle roots are motorcross and harescramble racing. my favorite bike of all time was a 1931vl harley that i restored and rode for about 10 years. it was much lighter than the bid twins they built after 1936. well back to the buell. this new effort by eric buell is simply the best bike i have ever ridden and i have ridden a lot. it is lite like the 60's triumphs but it has brakes, it looks good like the 60's xlch sportster but it has power, especialy since i had the factory race kit(muffler-chip and k&n air filter) installed. this really woke it up if you know what i mean. i know that they wont sell that well as the typical harley rider just will not understand, but i for one am glad that there is something in a harley shop that i, as a sport bike type of rider can enjoy, and i really do. my hat is off to eric buell for building this bike.
joetheedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 05:12 AM   #324
motonut_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Antiquated technology?

Actually, it's the water-cooled K bikes that have the rep of lasting forever. The air cooled R bikes would require occassional maintenance and ring, valve, valve seat, etc. replacement. The newer air-oil cooled R bikes are proving to have greater longevity. Water-cooled K bikes are the bike of choice for Iron Butters. However, many bike types have completed the Iron Butt.
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:06 AM   #325
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: your point being?

Sorry for the late response. The entire article is misconceived. Apples, oranges, twigs. None of these bikes belong together. Therefore, Burnes is an idiot.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 05:55 PM   #326
lukam
Founding Member

Default Re: Antiquated technology?

I love it when somebody makes a great argument backed up by observable facts, and the only answer from the opposing debater is "...Oh...Oh...yeah?...well...your motorcycle sucks...take that."

laugh my a$$ off it hear intellegent people (I think) try to debate with comments pulled from the air and call them facts "buells suck" "harleys suck" "posers" "join the club". It just makes no sense to me why people who don't ride Harleys care so darn much about people who do? Most Harley riders I know who ride anywhere from 500 miles to 50,000 miles a year ride for the shear joy of it and don't really care what anyone else rides. There are jerks in every "group" but I think I smart enough not to say "Oh...Oh...yeah?...all harley/buell riders are stupid"

I once pulled an abandoned Honda out of a lake and rebuilt it. It later siezed a bearing, but I don't hate Hondas or their riders now. By the way it was one of those dual purpose "step through" Hondas with a pressed metal frame..... slow as heck but darn fun.
lukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 06:18 PM   #327
lukam
Founding Member

Default Re: Poor reasoning

I guess you will be stopping all of those "stupid" people and telling them why they are stupid and how they better listen to you are else. Get over it man here is a secret (wisper) we live in a free country I like my bike I make decisions on my own and don't care what you think... Oh by the way this stupid person gets more out of life than you seem to bitter and ashamed is worse than stupid
lukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:47 AM   #328
dcformein03
Founding Member

The multi rocks for the real world!
dcformein03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:52 AM   #329
dcformein03
Founding Member

The multi rocks for the real world!
dcformein03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:24 PM   #330
buellamonster
Founding Member

FYI -

1.Buell wasn't the originator of 'gas in the frame' - Try BETA Trials motorcycles , mid 90's

2. Buell's 'uni-planar' mounting works, but no one ever gives a 'tip of the hat' to Norton isolastics which came first.

buellamonster is offline   Reply With Quote