Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-02-2003, 08:30 PM   #311
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: make mine triplets...

Well, for that matter, $10k is exactly a new Interceptor, which, while focused differently that these, is unarguably more versatile.

And while it's cylinders are four, the same be it's vee, oui?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2003, 09:25 PM   #312
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Re: The myth of A/C engines & EPA emissions

Excellent point; I agree. Liquid cooled engines have a clear advantage wrt noise emissions in that their liquid jackets of coolant act to attenuate engine noise.

But current noise restrictions are not likely to become any more strict. In fact, there is a strong argument to improve them in favor of low revving engines. The very valid argument is that since noise emissions are regulated to curtail annoying sound (noise pollution), that intensity limits should be prescribed based upon not just total combined sound intensity, but actually for specific ranges of the audible spectrum. Low frequency noise is far less anoying (less polluting) than higher frequency noise of the same intensity. Such an approach to noise regulation is logical and its time has come. It would be no different than putting stricter limits on the more toxic air pollutants versus those that are not so toxic.

Whatever happens, air cooled engines are in no danger of obsolescence due to any type of emissions regulations.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:13 PM   #313
freecat
Registered Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

You say it's wheezy compared to the other two, as if there were no significant difference in displacement. Thanks Burns, I needed you to tell me that an 800cc or 1200cc v-twin sportbike makes more torque than a 650cc v-twin.

Not that Suzuki doesn't deserve some flack for failing to upgrade the SV's suspension and making the bike uglier.
Anthropology is just travel writing about places that don\'t have room service. Sociology is journalism without news. And psychology is peeking into your sister\'s diary after your parents have sent her to rehab.
-- P. J. O\'Rourke
freecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:28 PM   #314
kumaji
Founding Member

Strange. I'm a new rider, and compared the SV650 w/the Monster 620. Liked the Buell, but decided it was way too much to start on. It isn't clear to me that this comparo grouped bikes that a real world buyer would consider together. For other new riders, I highly recommend the SV650 (sure beats the Blast that I learned on). Stable, light, forgiving, economical.
kumaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:32 PM   #315
kumaji
Founding Member

Strange. I'm a new rider, and compared the SV650 w/the Monster 620. Liked the Buell, but decided it was way too much to start on. It isn't clear to me that this comparo grouped bikes that a real world buyer would consider together. For other new riders, I highly recommend the SV650 (sure beats the Blast that I learned on). Stable, light, forgiving, economical.
kumaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:15 PM   #316
opdf
Founding Member

Default 650 vs 800 vs 1000???

Your next review should be an inline face-off: F4i versus Ninja 250.

Come on Burns, you are complaining about a $5800 motorcycle not matching the power of a $10,000 motorcycle with 350cc more displacement. And guess what? That $4200 extra will put a nice aftermarket suspension system on the SV too.

If this is what MO articles have become, I think I'll just keep the 12 bucks next year.

-geo
opdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:45 PM   #317
TuneREX
Founding Member

Default Oh Dear

RonXX, please say you don't ride a Honda Blackbird. I was interested in buying one but if you're an example of the typical XX owner....well, the bike itself now becomes suspect. Frankly, your thought processes are bizarre. Who knows, maybe it's all of those electrical faults modern Hondas seem to be plagued with? Maybe your regulator-rectumfryer has shorted out. Apologies in advance if I've pegged you wrong. Oh dear.
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 02:41 PM   #318
TuneREX
Founding Member

Default Hmmmm...

I'm not sure that's what JB is getting at. He's not saying the Buell isn't worth $9K. He's saying the SV650 isn't worth whatever IT costs. If you can't afford $9K, then you can't afford to throw $6K away. Why is this so difficult to understand?
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:51 AM   #319
clayfoot
Registered Member

Good arguments and well written as usual. But, I can't help wondering is some of Mr. Burn's negativity toward the SV is caused by a certain Mr. Bohem's great love for it.

What do yall think? Mr. Burns, care to comment?
clayfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:05 AM   #320
io
Founding Member

I third the motion.

if Burns liked it so much before he called the R1150R a hooligan bike, than by all means it shoulda been incorporated with this comparo.

Hell, they coulda picked the new Rockster....

io is offline   Reply With Quote