Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-01-2003, 08:09 PM   #301
bikerlarry
Registered Member

Default Re: The AMC Pacer of motorcycles

The buell gets spanked hard by any number of more affordable bikes!So how much did buell pay for the great reviews?You want character? Elmer Fudd is a character!Buy a used speed triple or monster for way less.
bikerlarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2003, 08:12 PM   #302
bikerlarry
Registered Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

because bmw's are slow, ugly, clunky, uninspiring overpriced pieces of crap!
bikerlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:18 PM   #303
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Ya, right.

You've obviously never ridden one and have absolutely no appreciation for innovative engineering. BMW's rock!
Old 07-01-2003, 11:29 PM   #304
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Bike with attitude.

Yep, they shake like a pissed off Pit Bull when they idle. Lots of attitude and low growling rumble. But smoother than any other bike I've ever ridden at speed. I've had mine to the rev limit in high gear, about 140 mph. Still as smooth as ever.

There ya go with the inane anecdotal remarks again. If you limit your choices of motorcycle models to those that have never suffered a problem, well, you won't have a bike from which to choose.

Even the venerable Honda Interceptor has problems. Most recently Honda Japan recalled the CW long term test bike in order to fix a serious problem before it showed up in CW's road testing.

Buell did go through some growing pains, I won't deny that. The growing pains are over. The new bikes, since 2001, are excellent. The quality data is showing that the XB9's are setting new standards for quality.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:37 PM   #305
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Re: The AMC Pacer of motorcycles

Spanked where? On a straight line road. So the frog what? Maybe you missed where none of the MO test riders could keep up with the XB9R through the twisty stuff. Even on an RC51 or an R1.

Maybe you missed where the Buell tied for 1st place in Cycle World's best street bike handling course competition. Beat an FZ1 by over 2 seconds! Tied with a new CBR600F4i that Don Canet admitted he had to "rev the ***** out of" in order to match the Buell's performance.

But if economics is your primary concern, or if peak HP or peak speed is most important to you... by all means, a used GSXR1000 is out there with your name on it. Enjoy. It's a great bike.

Uh, you can buy a used Buell for way less too there sparky.

If you are talking economics though, don't ever need parts for your Ducati. Can you say OUCH!!

Buell parts? Very reasonable.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:45 PM   #306
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Yeah, but you really are truly psychotic.

The technicians are afraid to mess up your bike for fear of your psycho reprisal.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:38 AM   #307
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: I rode a Paint Shaker (Buell) once

Did it shake at speed or only at idle? Perhaps you idled around the parking lot and called it your test ride? Above 2500rpm those bikes are silky smooth.

Aren't you late for the camp bus?
Old 07-02-2003, 07:26 AM   #308
erikthered
Founding Member

Default Re: Bike with attitude.

I agree. Comparing this bike with a Cyclone is like comparing a modern Honda sportbike with one of their old 360's. Forget it. Different animal. I owned a Cyclone too, and appreciated it for what it was, cheap and fun. When I needed more, I traded it off, at 20,000 miles, with no real problems. I've ridden several XB9S, and I will own one when I'm done paying for my Mille (keeping that one too, though). Different machine. Silly, crazy fun. Feels like a 250 with a V-8 stuffed in it. Will it run with a liter bike? Depends on the rider and the road. That's not it's intent anyway. If you want a literbike, there are several great choices out there. If you want a very sporty, comfortable, stylish ride that can run with most sportbikes and be comfortable, this is it. And it's very easy to ride fast. It does exactly what it was designed to do, and does it with style.

Reliability- everyone makes lemons. That's just the way it is. The newer the company, the more the problems. H-D has made a significant investment in this product, and it shows. Build quality is high, the engineering is superior, the styling is (IMHO) excellent. Again, this is a NEW Buell, a different animal. ***** about the motor all you want, it's part of the personna of this bike, and I love the whole package.

I dig this bike. Ride one before you decide, you can get a test ride at almost any dealer with no hassle at all. Try it. You'll like it.
erikthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 09:59 AM   #309
psi_radar
Founding Member

Default Umm, did your girlfriend at Suzuki break up with you?

Huh. I guess a lot must have changed in the past couple years since SVs were regarded as one of the best motorcycle values for the dollar by just about every significant motorcycling pub. out there, including M.O.

I bought my '01 SVS just as they came out, I've rode a variety of bikes now for 27 years. It's my wife's first bike. I love it. She loves it.

The payments and insurance are cheap. There is a huge aftermarket for mods.

I get the feeling that Burns just wanted to stir up the dust here to be different--good job, I think you succeeded in going out of your way to bash a bike that's a good value. This comparo was so unbalanced, pitting basically literbikes against the SV. It was like watching an NHB fight where a thai boxer and a jiu-jitsu expert team up against a tennis player, with burnsie acting as ref yet throwing salt in the tennis-player's eyes. The beating was simply uncalled for. Bring the SV1000 to the match next time!
psi_radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:23 PM   #310
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: The myth of A/C engines & EPA emissions

Actually, Blake, as far as I understand it, air-cooled motors are bumping up against limits on noise emissions, not gas emissions. Air-coolers emit valve-clatter, for one thing, clutch rattle (on many dry-clutch bikes...Ducati are one), and so on.

You're right, it's not the vapors, it's the decibels.