Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-30-2003, 04:32 PM   #291
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Stop spying on me and you are comparing apples and oranges

These manufactures recoup their investment in excessively high priced maintenance parts and by obsoleting their bikes as fast as you buy them. Look how they changed your beloved SV650. I'll venture that very few, if any, parts are interchangeable between the old and new and improved version. You ever notice how the motorcycle magazines go on and on about how great a bike is and miracle or miracles the next year's model always is so0000 much better. What a crock. And what does anyone do with a 150 hp bike that can only achieve that stat at 15000 rpm? Only on the track unless you have a screw loose. That is what the Buell is all about. Streetable power and handling, not bs stats that 99% of you weinies haven't the cojones to ever use.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2003, 06:41 PM   #292
shady28
Founding Member

Default Problem is, Buell reliability totally sucks

I like the Buell design as much as anyone, if it were a reasonably reliable bike I'd biy one (I have a ZRX1100 now).

But, take a look here : http://www.mybuell.com/

Read and read and read the posts by Buell owners. All kinds of problems, many of the serious mechanical failures. There are many many such posts on newsgroups and other sites as well.

It seems H-D took the Sportster engine a bit too far. I love the innovative technology they introduced, but there is no way in hell I would buy a Buell until they have fixed these problems.
shady28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:35 PM   #293
theDuke
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

It's in the shop getting it's jerky fuel injection fixed while they lypo off a few dozen pounds.

Just kidding, but seriously, it's much larger and heavier than any of these three bikes and I personally wouldn't put it in the same class. The only similarity is it's naked and a twin.

I owned an R1100R a few years back and recently had a chance to test ride a XB9S about 50 miles... definitely much different character between the two bikes. The Beemer is very capable of long distance riding and quite sober in its demeanor. The Buell had me smiling for a week.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:51 PM   #294
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Buell rider, over 50K miles and going strong.

I have logged over 50,00 miles on Buell Cyclones (crashed one, sold one, kept one). Over 1,000 of those miles have been lapping the local racetrack, with many of those logged during the hot Texas summer. My '97 Cyclone just keeps on going.

I read through some of those posts in that link you listed. To be honest, I don't believe all of them. Especially the ones claiming injury due to parts failures. I actually have knowledge of the failed triple clamp incident the site lists. They guy swapped forks himself, converted the conventional forks on a Cyclone to the USD version of the Lightning. He didn't know what the hell he was doing, and failed to properly install/torque the triple clamp and steering head assembly. Then went out for a test ride, he took a jump over a small bridge, crashed and burned. But it's Buell's fault? He lost his court case. Lesson learned... get a service manual and a torque wrench and learn how to use both.

I'm the admin of a popular Buell enthusiasts' site. I'll be the first to admit that the older Buells suffered more than their share of problems. You should also know that the internet is full of malcontents no matter the brand.

The new Buell models however are proving to be a huge leap forward in quality and reliability. If you are the type of rider who never wants to be bothered with reading the owner's manual or performing anymaintenance, however simplistic... if you are the type who wants to drop your bike off at the dealership to have your oil changed and cables lubed... please do NOT buy a Buell.

A friend of mine is a first year racer in CMRA. He rides a race kitted XB9R Firebolt. He also rides the bike on the street. Being crazy as he is, he's crashed a few times. No serious damage to the bike worst thing was a cracked fairing spider bracket. The bike runs and runs WOT smacking into the rev limiter, not a problem of any kind.

A Buell XB9R is also leading it's class in the road racing world endurance series. That pretty much says it all right there.

One thing I think Buell could do to assuage their bad rep wrt quality would be to offer a more robust factory warranty. A two year 20K mile warranty would say a lot to prospective customers.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:08 AM   #295
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell rider, over 50K miles and going strong.

"... if you are the type who wants to drop your bike off at the dealership to have your oil changed and cables lubed... please do NOT buy a Buell."

Hey Blake.... I resemble that remark! Seriously though my M2 has been flawless. My father's Buell has been flawless too. What can I say? the mybuell.com site seems a bit over the top to me. Every brand has its bashers. Check this out:

http://members.shaw.ca/jotk/ducrap/ducrap.html

To dismiss Buell with one swell foop is very wrong. People need to be educated as to what they are and what they are not.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:14 AM   #296
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Antiquated technology?

Heaven forbid that anyone might sound intolerant!

Next thing you know they become nazis!

Old 07-01-2003, 09:31 AM   #297
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default You can have your liquid cooled engine...

I had an air cooled VW that ran for over 130,000 miles without any engine work. A friend put over 83,000 miles on an '84 Harley Supersport with no engine trouble before seeling it for over $10K a few years ago. The engine of the M1-A1 Abrams tanks are air cooled.

You are correct on one point. If you want the most power out of the smallest engine, liquid cooling is currently the best way to achieve optimum results. But on the street, I'd rather have a much simpler, low revving, two cylinder engine with twice the displacement than a complex four cylinder,32 valve water cooled engine that has to rev like a friggin' turbine to make any power.

And as far as water cooling goes...

My experiences with liquid cooled motorcycles are quite dismal. I live in Texas; every single liquid cooled vehicle I've ever owned has at one time or another overheated and blew coolant spewage all over the place. Every . . single . . . one.

My Buell, even on the track in the middle of summer, has never overheated.

I've seen Hondas at the track blow their guts out on a number of occasions. I've seen Hondas on the street do likewise. I've seen Yamahas belch steam and spew coolant. Toyotas, Fords, Nissans, Oldsmobiles, Chevies, Chryslers, Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Triumphs... I've seen them all give up their guts and blow coolant all over the place making a complete mess things.

Maybe it's the 100+F Texas heat, but even in PA, where I was raised, overheating engines were not a strange or unknown occurrence. I worked at a service station during High School. You ever see all the fan belts and radiator hoses a service station keeps in stock? It's for a reason. I've seen at least five failed water pumps on family vehicles and those of friends. I've seen multiple failed thermostats that led to overheating. I've personally had to repair or replace radiators three times due to fatigue cracks, that is on my own vehicle. You can look in the yellow pages in Dallas, Texas and find countless radiator repair shops. Rebuilt water pumps is a thriving multimillion dollar business.

Thermostats, radiators, radiator caps, hoses, water pumps/bearings, electric fan motors, fan motor relays... if any single one of those components fail, you are done for the day on a liquid cooled bike.

Wanna race your bike? Gotta put water in (no ethylene glycon antifreeze allowed) for the track day. Are you up North? I hope you remember to replenish with antifreeze before the temperature drops below freezing. What a pain in the azz! Those are just a BUNCH more things I don't want to have to worry about or maintain.

My Buell may get hot; at the conclusion of my last race, the oil temp hit 245F, but it just keeps on running. I use good synthetic oil. No worries.

You can have your beloved liquid cooling. I'll take simplicity and displacement over complexity and optimization every day.

One other point... which engine is more efficient and pollutes less? The Buell with its bigger low revving long stroking roller bearing engine, or a smaller liquid cooled, high revving, journal bearing engine. You'd think a smaller engine would be more efficient. WRONG. The Buell easily makes 50 to 55 MPG. Even my '97 Cyclone after being jetted for racing and hopped up to make 100rwhp gets better than 50 mpg.

So which engine is more advanced? On any measure other than HP/cc, the Buell is far more advanced.

Old 07-01-2003, 10:52 AM   #298
KPaulCook
Banned

Default I rode a Paint Shaker (Buell) once

A cylcone. The thing shook so much the mirror was unusable. Workmanship was crappy.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:55 AM   #299
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Been there done that

Been there rode it (Buell cyclone) It sucked. Good for shaking Paint. Motorcylist had a long term Buell shake itself apart once
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:44 PM   #300
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: You can have your liquid cooled engine...

Simple answer. If it's Japanese it's hi-tech. If it's Harley then it's antiquated.

The reality of what is on the bikes is immaterial.