Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-25-2003, 03:40 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

Does anyone wonder why the mfgs. quiver when JohnnyB comes to town? First, he actually rides the bike farther than around the block, then he decides to rip one of the MO faves for being cheap and boring. Picking the Buell just shoved him into the "insane" catagory, as all the MO geniuses that never rode one KNOW Buells suck. Isn't there a website that says so? Gotta love this guy.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2003, 03:46 AM   #22
cstewart77
Registered Member

Must be April 1st
cstewart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 03:53 AM   #23
fizzchem
Founding Member

Scrap metal?

j/k
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 03:57 AM   #24
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

>>as all the MO geniuses that never rode one KNOW Buells suck.<<

Yeah, my sucky Buell has sucked for 10000 sucky trouble -free miles so far. I'm very disappointed I was hoping to have it on the lift every weekend fixing something or other, but all I've had to do is change a bulb....where's the fun in that? Maybe next time I'll buy Italian.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 04:01 AM   #25
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Great review. I don't see myself wanting a Buell anytime soon - but I follow JB's logic. If motorcycles are your main "thing", spend a little more and treat yourself to a Duc or Buell. I know the SV is a great bike, but I don't know if I'd want to sit in my garage at night after a long ride, drinking a beer and staring at it.

The SV in the junkyard in 20 years prediction is sad but true. That argument could be made about almost any Japanese bike though -- but not because of poor quality or engineering. Low resale value is the problem. Even a minor repair for an old Japansese bike can cost more than the bike is worth.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 04:05 AM   #26
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Infinitley rebuildable

I'm sure like any other Harley corp bike you can maintain the bike indefinitely. Try doing that with a Jap bike, you'll go broke in the process.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 04:06 AM   #27
fizzchem
Founding Member

My problem with these reviews is understanding how livable the bike is. I'm seriously considering purchasing a Buell XB9S, but even a casual glance at badweatherbikers.com gives me some reservations, especially because the Buell would be my only bike.

An SV (or the Duc even!) may be a bit more reliable than the Buell long term. Who knows?

That seems to be the problem I have overall with some reviews. The Buell is a nice handling bike, but is it going to grenade in Year 2? The story in one of the print mags about the S3 can give a potential owner some pause. Not only that, word about lagging sales of the Buell line warrants consideration about the company's longevity.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 04:09 AM   #28
buzzbob
Registered Member

As a 2002 SV650 owner, I hate the new frame and angular styling......... I would have to agree with JB about the stock handling, why do you think it is a 'beginner bike'. I test rode the Buell, 'I need more experience' was my impression. At this time there was no way I could get anywhere near what this bike could do. But in a year or so................
buzzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 04:24 AM   #29
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Buell vs the world.

I just got through changing 3 of the 8 valve train shims on my wife's 89' Radian. It was a $1500 bike that has classic timeless looks but is cheap in componetry. Anyway, Yamaha wants $10+ tax for each bloody shim. New air filter is $30+. Actually the only thing going for this bike is that my wife can get flat footed at a standstill and it gets 57 mpg on the highway. Now look at the Buell. Awesome looks, great sound and other than oil and tires once in awhile you have a very low maintenance, cooler than cool bike. By the way, we looked at the much loved SV650 and the frame welds looked like gobs of JB Weld. Sorry Burnsie.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 05:22 AM   #30
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Meanwhile, you might see the occasional ratty SV650 parked on the street in a shabby neighborhood or over at KPaul's with a plastic milk crate bungeed to the back seat and duct tape covering the holes in the faded seat, smelling of cat urine.

I think that describes the bike in front of AlanHeng's house right now.

And thank you, JB, for calling a spade a playing card and laying down the law on the new SV. It's plain fugly, whether it's an S or naked, 650 or 1000. I always thought of keeping my 2000 SV around, much as you described keeping the Buell around for the future generations, but I can't see doing that with the new crop.

And coming from an SV owner, thank you for going against the Cult of the SV and daring to criticize the new one. Much like fans of the last two Star Wars movies, it seems like the majority of SVers out there are willing to unquestioningly and illogically accept whatever tablescraps are thrown to them, just because it is newer and, ergo, better.