Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-29-2003, 07:01 AM   #271
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Sorry, you are incorrect.

Buells are cool. They are different and have Harley as a parent so this bothers the racer squid boy wannabees to know end. Chances are if they ever got on a Buell for a test ride they would wonder why their Japanese bikes seemed so ponderous. If they don't like the Buell because it isn't their current brand then maybe they need to go and see what those in the know know.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2003, 12:31 PM   #272
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Poor reasoning

Poor reasoning is exactly what JB has displayed in this article. First he seems to suggest that Suzuki is lying about any increased stiffness in the SV frame, then goes on to tell us that the Duc's frame is 30% stiffer without blinking an eye. Well I'll tell you what: I bet the Duc's frame is stiffer, mainly because the thing started life as a cut-up shopping cart probably. Trellis steel frame- When was the last time you saw anything but crappy motorcycles with those? The last SV frame was made of oval tubes welded together. It was basically the same thing as the Duc frame. The new one is maybe cheaper looking, but if you look on the INSIDE, there are a bunch of triangular sections cast into the frame. These complex shapes are only possible because of the technology that Suzuki employs. I would put money on it that Suzuki has some FEA (finite element analysis) done on a computer program that costs more than JB's annual salary which proves it is better.

Yes the SV is a cheap bike, yes the other two here are more nicely put together, but you really would be better off not buying into either Duc or Buell family because you will be starting a relationship with a company that produces over priced crap. If you have the money to burn, then spend it on a bike other than those two. For $9K I could do SO much better than what any of these bikes has to offer.

Then again all you have to do is take a 5 minute drive down a freeway in this country to see how stupid people are. That explains the survival of companies such as Ducati, Buell, H-D, and Kawasaki. Maybe I'll give them a run for their money. Any investors willing to fork over some dough to help me start a new motorcycle company please reply. Our first model will be a two-wheeled shopping cart with a 1946 Singer sewing maching motor. That should attract both Ducati and Buell fans.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:39 PM   #273
Randy_P_Moran
Founding Member

Default I don't like the Buell...

...because it's junk. Worse, it's the classic kind of junk that Harley sells, the kind of enabling junk that allows that company to avoid building a real bike.

And what does "veg" mean? And why is it always "anal" with you?
Randy_P_Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:44 PM   #274
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Lamest moto review I've ever seen.

And yet the author says...

<blockquote>...if someone walked up and said "Hey buddy, you can have either of these bikes for free right now – which one do you want?" I would take the Buell...</blockquote>

Uh, so maybe you can explain to me, Mr. Troll Buell hater, how the subject review leads you to claim that "Duc kicks Bueller"? How old are you, twelve?

The reality is that they are both very fine bikes as is the Guzzi V11 Sport, and BMW R1100S. Funny how the Buell is actually the least expensive of all those air cooled twin sport bikes. It is also the lightest.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:58 PM   #275
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Complete Ignorance

<blockquote>"Trellis steel frame- When was the last time you saw anything but crappy motorcycles with those?"</blockquote> Actually youve got it backwards there sparky. Some of the finest motorcycles ever built use steel trellis frames. The Duc 749/999, the countless Ducati championship superbikes and now the Ducati MotoGP Desmoquatro, the world's fastest road racing motorcycle all use steel trellis frames.

Your remaining assertions are similarly ignorant.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:25 PM   #276
raghinii
Registered Member

Default from hero to zero in 2 years?

Back in Dec. 2000, in the MO value bike shootout, among other praise for the SV650, there's a line that says:

"And, shootout notwithstanding, we would like to add that this is one of our absolute favorite bikes regardless of price."

So what i want to know is this: How does the '03 model compare to the '00 ('01 ?) that was being tested there. ?

Unless there were some SUBSTANTIAL changes to this bike, or the motorcycling industry has advanced by leaps and bounds in the past 2.5 years, i find it pretty hard to believe that a bike can go from "on of our absolute favorites regardless of price" to the crappy also ran that we see described in this article. Thus i find this article pretty hard to take seriously.

Unless somone explains this to me, i'm going to have to throw my vote behind the "out of Prozac" explanation.

sheesh.

(and no, i don't own an SV650... i ride a '94 Yamaha Seca II and am currently considering a 2000 VFR (in my heart of hearts i want a 2002+ because of the under-seat pipes which i think look AWESOME), but the 2000 would be enough of an upgrade for me (and a much better value imho) )
raghinii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:51 AM   #277
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Complete Ignorance

Webster's:

Main Entry: ig·no·rant

Pronunciation: 'ig-n(&-)r&nt

Function: adjective

Date: 14th century

1 a : destitute of knowledge or education ; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence

Believe me, I realize the Ducati's you mentioned all use steel trellis frames. I am saying that those are crappy motorcycles. Some moron decides to weld together a bunch of little steel tubes and all of a sudden it's instantly better than what REAL technology and machines can build just because it looks nice? I would love to know just what 'knowledge or education' you have that makes you a better judge of these things than me. You must be a mechanical engineer. Oh wait, that's the condition that causes my ignorance.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:59 AM   #278
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

'02 M620i.e.

It really belongs to my wife. But she has let me ride it a few times.

I still can feel the deep embarassment of binging her bike back with scrapes on the exhaust cans.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:23 AM   #279
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: You are too funny

Brakes. You forgot about the lousy brakes. I would put up with all the rest from a beetle except for the lousy brakes.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:24 AM   #280
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

There's no Santa?

Brian