Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-27-2003, 02:10 PM   #261
Woozy
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

I can't believe I'm wallowing into this, but here goes... I've got an '01 M750 and an '03 SV650 that's a race/track bike.

After a few hours breaking in the SV on the street all I could think was "this is a way better bike for $2000 bucks less." The SV handles better, even stock, and with a heavier spring and oil ($100 and an afternoon) is worlds better than the duc. The tranny is way more seamless and positive. 6 speeds too! And no ridiculously tall 1st gear. More motor, and the thing revs like an I-4. The Duc simply cannot be ridden fast in corners due to lack of clearance.

The Duc does look better and get points for "personality". On that note, it required a new starter, new wiring harness, new clutch slave cylinder and a base gasket in the 1st 2000 miles. Did I mention how expensive Ducati parts are?

The SV does have a toyota feel, I won't disagree there. But around here (Seattle), I see 3 monsters for every SV ('course, I see 3 boxsters for every Chevy lumina, so that may be a Seattle thing).

And I do like my Monster. But if you're more into substance than style, get the SV, spend $1000 bucks on the forks and pipe and PCIII, and lend the $1000 you saved to your buddy whose Duc just broke.

Woozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2003, 03:18 PM   #262
crankin500
Founding Member

Default At first I didn't like this review...

But then I realized that this is about the only review that the author didn't kiss the asses of all the bikes involved. Good work J.B. It's good to see some constructive criticism once in a while.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 03:45 PM   #263
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Antiquated technology?

Yes it amazing isn't it?

Old 06-27-2003, 03:50 PM   #264
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Gee, that's never been suggested before :)

Sign on wall of bike shop:

Shop Rate is $30 per hour.

$40 per hour if you watch.

$50 per hour if you help.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:09 PM   #265
Van
Founding Member

Yes, antiquated, as in an air cooled motor that won't last very long and makes relatively little power during its relatively short life span.

See, anything that needs to last a long time and make real power is liquid cooled. That includes every modern car and motorcycle.

Even you're liquid cooled.

If air cooling was more efficient (putting aside the durability factor) Michael Shumacher's and Valentino Rossi's rides would be air cooled.

Check the CCs of the XB9R or any other Buell and compare 'em to a similar capacity Japanese sportbike.

A generic little CBR600 motor will far outperform and outlive any larger cc Buell motor.

You know it, and I know it.

Erik Buell himself knows it. He knows that until he gets a clean sheet motor that isn't hamstrung by lame Harley Tradition he'll always be in the business of producing nothing but underpowered and fragile novelty/niche items.

Harley Davidson knows it as well, which is why the liquid cooled V-Rod exists.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 03:06 AM   #266
fizzchem
Founding Member

Sarcasm ALERT Sarcasm ALERT

I think the ignorance of the poster who opined the Honda "stole" technology may be quite ignorant of prior art. Types who spout such nonsense begin to sound intolerant.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:01 AM   #267
TuneREX
Founding Member

My riding buddy Otto says that fizzchem is actually KPaulCook. Is this true?
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 11:27 AM   #268
TuneREX
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell--Puh-Leeze!

Man, I thought Hardley riders were dorks, but you're right up there, veg. Face it: you don't like the Buell because it's not jappity-jap-jap. You're not interested in any comparo that doesn't back up yer bias [hehe...ya that's right -- you got some sorta anal problem]. And besides, everyone knows you're really Mitch Boehm.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:35 AM   #269
TuneREX
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell--Puh-Leeze!

Bollocks bullock. Put a superior rider on anything, including a Buell, and he'll pass every Guzzi on the block. Every sportbike, too, 'cept yer Rex, because it's not a sportbike.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:06 PM   #270
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Go to another Doctor for a second opinion

Read this review. MUSA picks a different Monster yields a different result Duc kicks Bueller
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote