Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-27-2003, 07:35 AM   #251
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Why didn't I think of that?

Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2003, 07:42 AM   #252
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Gee, that's never been suggested before :)

Unfortunately, I live in an apt - so doing a job that's messy, unsightly or that I can't definitely finish in one day is not an option. And V65 valve adjustments are not for the novice, they're a big pain actually.

If I had someone around to go through one with me the first time who's done one before and can tell me ahead of time if I have all the tools I need, etc, then it might be an option. I think it's only about 6 hours worth of shop labor.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:00 AM   #253
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: Stop spying on me and you are comparing apples and oranges

Actually, Burns pretty much said it was better than the $8000 Ducati, which (assuming the Ducati is worth 8K) at $8995 would not make it all that far out of line.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:21 AM   #254
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: Stop spying on me and you are comparing apples and oranges

One more thing, the Harley customer, who is willing to pay 17K to join the club, is bearing the cost of all that Buell R & D. The Buell customer is enjoying the fruits of all that profit from the sale of Harleys and gets to ride a FAR more advanced motorcycle for FAR less money.

Harley has an entire line of bikes that have seen only tweaks, but no major upgrades, for many many years, that sell like hotcakes, generally for upwards of 15K. Most of this is pure profit for HD. These profits partially get dumped back into R & D for stuff like the new Buells and the V-Rod.

Ditto for Suzuki sales of bikes like the Bandit and their cruiser line subsidizing GSX-R development or Road Stars subsidizing the R & D of Yamaha's latest Rx sportbike...
Old 06-27-2003, 08:26 AM   #255
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Antiquated technology?

Yes, it was the Ottoman Empire before WW2 where all the materials science and engineering research took place that resulted in parts that go into today's motorcycles were invented.

It is amazing how the world's largest engine builder, Honda, has been an industry leader by stealing ideas from other sources.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:03 AM   #256
TuneREX
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! [...cut to image of a one-armed TuneREX riding his bike off a cliff...]
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:18 AM   #257
TuneREX
Founding Member

Default Re: Antiquated technology?

What a load of horsey poop. The only thing the Ottoman's [Ottomen? -- maybe yer thinking of that German group, the "Auto-men"?] ever invented was those little foot thingys the rest of us stick in front of our sofas.
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:32 AM   #258
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Riding the XB9S, SV1000S, etc.

Your post spoke to my condition....

I recently bought a new bike; my old bike is a 1990 CBR1000F. I wanted a different riding experience, and a lighter bike than the near-600 pound CBR.

And I wanted to like the Buells, even though they seem expensive (about $9200 when I rode them) they're loaded with so many trick bits it hurts to look at them.

I rode both the XB9s and the XB9r, back to back. I expected to like the S better....but liked the R! With the exception of the high footpegs, which were designed by a man with very very short legs. I'm not a big guy, but the first thing I'd do with a new XB9r would be to fit the pegs from the S. They bolt right on.

I then rode the SV1000S. And almost bought one. Great, stompin', rompin' engine which by comparison made my CBR seem lacking on low-end power. This is saying something as the CBR rips for a bike that big and heavy; it's sort of a poor man's FJR1300.

Also, it has good weather protection. The half fairing is remarkably good at parting the ozone. My wife saw the one I was riding and said "What a beautiful bike."

Unfortunately her next words were "But that is one UGLY color!" I had the copper one.

My thumbnail analysis:

-Both bikes are essentially the same price here (Seattle). The Suzi is in demand and sells for about $8700 plus tax; the Buell isn't and sells for about $8500 plus tax.

-If you ride a lot of two up, buy the SV.

-If you ride on the freeway a lot, buy the SV.

-If you don't care that the bike only comes in copper (?) and silver (who the hell decided that silver was the new black?), buy the SV.

-If you live close to the twisties, and/or take mostly short trips, take the plunge and get the Buell. But ride 'em both, because you might really like the R model. And it looks sharp in Battle Blue.

Either bike will seem light years ahead of your Hawk. It was a great bike in 1989 but there's been substantial evolutionary changes since then.

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:57 PM   #259
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Re: The myth of A/C engines & EPA emissions

Technical sources? I think that maybe Kevin Camerson has written about the issue. Other than that and a curiculum in mechanical engineering I don't know where you could find additional supporting commentary on the subject. Harley-Davidson included a similar commentary on the subject in one of their <ul>Enthusiast[/list]issues.

One other comment... low revving, low compression engines are much more environmentally friendly than their high revving high compression counterparts. Higher compression yields more NOx, and higher revs tend to leave more fuel unburned.

Yes the frame does act as part of the forced air cooling system of the new Buell XB9's, there are also purpose built ducting components as well.

The Buells' lack of a catalytic converter yet adherance to CARB 2004 emissions is probably the best evidence to show doubters that air cooled engines can and will meet future emissions standards.

But like I said, even if that weren't the case, a simple catalytic converter would solve the issue anyway. That's how all the high performance repliracers gain emissions approval. Have you seen the hideous muffler on the Ducati 999? LOL!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 01:58 PM   #260
v2-90
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

What year Monster do you have? These new Monsters use the frame design taken from the S4 and have much improved ground clearance. As an owner of a 99 M900 and 99 SV650 though, I can agree that the older Monsters dragged peg way too easily.