Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-26-2003, 10:44 AM   #221
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Stop spying on me and you are comparing apples and oranges

Maybe YOU should bring this up at the next Harley Davidson shareholder meeting?
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2003, 10:49 AM   #222
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: stupid EBass not understand

Well played, Sir.

Good form.

Old 06-26-2003, 10:59 AM   #223
dominatr37
Founding Member

Default Re: Infinitley rebuildable

I do understand what you are saying, but it's not the utility of it for me. I own two bikes, and I enjoy riding both. One's the afforementioned '98 YZF600R, the other is a '95 GPZ1100. Every manufacturer the world over wants you to buy a new product every few years, it's what keeps them in business. they want you to sell your car or bike or what not on to the next guy , and then go buy a new version of their product. If I enjoy riding my bikes 20,000 miles a year between them, then that works for me. I don't enjoy riding 5 miles and stopping somewhere to have people oggle. My groups sunday rides are between 350 and 500 miles a day, and we have all kinds with us, on just about everything made. Some bikes are 10+ years old, some are brand new. To guys like me who really ride, it's about the ride itself, much like your saying. To me, my YZF speaks to me as much as your Duc speaks to you. I'm not going to throw away a bike I enjoy just because a new one comes out that's supposedly better. There's a serious misconception that Japanese sportbikes don't last. That's been brought about by the squids who smash them into walls when they're six months old. (Last weeks accident by the NBA player is the perfect example.) The sport bike wreckage thing boils down to a lack of rider training. I've heard (I'm sure you have too) of guys buying R1's and never having spent any time on a bike at all. yet there they are, dragging their feet out of the dealerships driveway, an accident waiting to happen. Yet I know a guy who last year was scrambling to get Bostrum edition Duc, when his 748 was only six months old. Isn't this the thing you're talking about exactly? It takes place all over , in every manufacturers showroom. The difference with the Japanese stuff is that it's a lot more affordable, and a lot easier to upkeep.
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:01 AM   #224
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

Hmm.

The Porche motor in the V-Rod is heavy compared to the Sportster-based mill Buell is using. And with the 60-odd degree "rake" (hehe) between the cylinders, it's also long. Heavy and long would wreck the XB-series Buells.

Have you seen the sales figures? Here in the deep South, the V-Rods are languishing. They're almost going for retail. (I kill me.)

--Prospective owners walk into the shop and find out that (whatever the power) the V-Rod carries less displacement than the Sportster 1200.

--It's mostly considered a nice wife's bike here in Georgia.

--They aren't anywhere near as customizable as the aircooler Harleys.

--They have a modern look, which can be rightly considered a liability in the context of the marque.

Don't get me wrong, the Buells may very wel get a water-pumping motor, but it won't be the VRSCA.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:30 PM   #225
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Suzook vs. Ducati Maintainance

I do ride over 10K a year, so yeah that does get expensive, especially vs. the Suzuki's (and most shim-under-bucket designs') 16K valve adjustment intervals or there's the 26K intervals on 5 valve Yamahas.

6K is nuts - even something like a Bandit with screw-type adjusters goes like 8K.

Of course that's not an issue with a Buell

Manual valve adjustments are a pain in the ass, period. Honda was able to make hydraulic lifters good for 10,500 RPM for the Nighthawk S 20 years ago. They were reliable and never a source of problems. I don't understand why all bikes that aren't revving to today's inline 4 sportbike engine speeds don't use them... Well actually I think I do, it's because most bikes only see a couple thousand miles a year, so the manufacturers don't bother going to the expense to make them self adjusting.

Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:37 PM   #226
boru4761
Registered Member

Default almost going for retail... that is funny ;)

I think that is kinda what I am talking about. A liquid-cooled, shorter-stroke (and thereby smaller) higher-revving version of the VRSCA. It would only be the same engine in the sense that the '03 R1 and R6 have the same engine. Sorta... but, a lot of things change between 600 and 1000cc. My point was that liquid-cooled and DOHC is the future for Harley for better or for worse just to meet the emission std that they will soon be facing. I think it will be a rebirth for them and stretch them into realms previously unexplored (like sportbikes where they may never beat the likes of Honda but they may steal some market share). HD is not going to just disappear because they will soon have to meet the same emmission std as everyone else but they will have to go higher tech. As a result I am predicting big changes across the line.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:42 PM   #227
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Excellent Post!

Truth hurts don't it.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:48 PM   #228
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: Suzook vs. Ducati Maintainance

I guess the solution is to own about a half dozen Ducs. If you only put 3k miles on each per year, it will be two years (and 36k miles of riding) before you need to have your valves adjusted
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:17 PM   #229
TuneREX
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

Geez...my neighbor just told me that KPaulCook IS John Burns. Is this true?
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:42 PM   #230
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default What shop is that?

I'm in Phoenix too - what shop would this be? Do you work on old V65's there? I may need work done on mine at some point and it would be good to know of a decent shop.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote