Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-24-2003, 07:45 PM   #11
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default Observation & a technical question

Bold words from J.B.... Thank God someone had the balls to say it. Now my question: Is there any hard-and-fast rule of physics or design preventing the VRSCA engine from powering some Buells? Why would H-D spend all that money to design its only reasonably high-performance engine, just to use it in one model, while Erik Buell is forced to contend against Japan with such an ancient powerplant? Imagine what Buell could do if he had some tools, fer crissake.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2003, 08:23 PM   #12
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

well, there were no Buells 20 years ago, but how old are those XLCR Harleys, and what's an `83 Suzuki selling for and were there any included in the Guggeneheim thing?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:29 PM   #13
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I haven't ridden the Duc, but I have ridden the SV650, the XB9R and S and I couldn't agree more. The SV650 is certainly competent and amazingly inexpensive but about as exciting to ride as a Western Flyer scooter. It hops up well, but that's beside the point.

The Buell's are amazing bikes: unique but cool styling, powerful enough (watch thay flywheel effect if you like your rotator cuffs intact), flat out fun to ride, and endowed with far better handling than I would have ever imagined without riding them. I have to hand it to Buell - they have forced me to respect them with these two bikes.

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:58 PM   #14
sqidbait
Founding Member

Yup. An '82 Suzuki Katana.
sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:38 PM   #15
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default New SV650

Thank you JB, for being the first paid journalist to actually come out and say the new SV's frame looks like crap. The tube frame on the first SV was beautiful, and IMNSHO really made the look of the bike.

I do have to agree with some of the other posters though, the 650 was kinda outclassed in this comparo - the 1000 would have been a better fit based on price and displacement, although no one in the print mags seems to think that highly of the S models they're testing either (although a lot of that seems to be because it has the same ergos as a GSX-R1000 which is kinda ridiculous for a non-superbike).

One more thing, *****ing about the SV650's stock suspension is like complaining about the stock horsepower of Harleys - sure it sucks, but no one in the real world rides 'em stock for long. $200 for Race Tech springs and cartridge emulators, or about $350 including labor at a dealer, will fix the SV's front end which goes a long way toward fixing the handling on less-than-perfect roads.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:44 PM   #16
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: Observation & a technical question

Yes, there would be one hard and fast rule of physics preventing the V-Rod engine from being used in sportbikes: Mass/weigh. It's just too heavy for that.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:46 PM   #17
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Oops

Doh, I meant to say "weight"... stupid typos.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:47 PM   #18
Betamax
Founding Member

So the SV suxors...I guess a Connie is the only bike worth recommending now...
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:21 AM   #19
pated
Registered Member

JB, you convinced me. I always wanted a ducati, but couldn't justify the price. When I get back to the States next year, I'm buying one. Thanks.
pated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:22 AM   #20
rider_md
Founding Member

GODDAMN ITS BEEN AWHILE!

i may not agree with the article, nor its slant (who advertises here?...hmmm), BUT it was well written, pulled no punches, and went against the grain. good definitely outweighs the bad in this article.

can we have more of THIS please? then maybe ill keep my subscription going to next year...?
rider_md is offline   Reply With Quote