Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-06-2003, 06:50 AM   #51
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: '04 Yamaha Road Star Feedback

Just as a Fat Boy was meant to evoke the classic lines of a 40's era Indian...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2003, 06:56 AM   #52
elitequest
Founding Member

Great looking bike...TERRIBLE attempt at a review! Save the self-indulgent, creative writing attempt for another forum. Reviews like this won't encourage me to renew my subscription.
elitequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:15 AM   #53
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Uggghhhh, where to start.

BMW riders are the LAST people that should give a lecture about riding boring motorcycles.

The last time I checked the Germans still used the metric system, and also designate their engine sizes with cc's... so the R1200C and CL are both metric cruisers.

"Original" styling is not necessarily good styling. There is a reason BMW sells about 50 R1200Cs and CLCs per year- it's because THEY ARE UGLY! I (and about 300,000 other people per year and counting) would much rather own an attractive motorcycle like a Road Star or a Harley than an UGLY bike like the R1200C and CL. If BMW understood anything about the cruiser market they would realize that styling is a huge part of why someone buys a cruiser, and they would make something that a mainstream cruiser rider would actually want to own and ride. Obviously they don't, and their failure to make any headway in this market will continue long into the future until they figure this out.

BTW, how is the 61hp R1200CL more high tech than a 65 hp Harley or the new (roughly) 65hp Road Star? Because it has the tarantula special edition headlight setup?
Old 06-06-2003, 07:17 AM   #54
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Let's destroy this point by point shall we?

You see more H-Ds on the side the road BECAUSE there are more H-Ds (many more) than other brands on the road. Proportionaly, do H-Ds break down more, in the last 10 years I think not. How many 20- 40 year old hondas and yamahas do you see still on the road?

Jesse James' $60000 chopper contains NO H-D parts, so what is this point to illuminate?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:22 AM   #55
markszrz
Founding Member

Where is your sense of humor? This read was worth the annual subscription alone. I hope Bass hangs around MO for many more reviews.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:26 AM   #56
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

>>Remember, for every disgruntled owner who posts online there are twenty happy owners out there in the real world who love their bike.<<

Yeah, go to the Roadstar riders forum on delphi and read the HUGE list of problems that Roadstars have, then come back and tell me I'm 1 in 20.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:28 AM   #57
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Re: Stupid helmet

I hear ya, but the manufacturers make no guarantees over, what? 22 mph?
Old 06-06-2003, 07:40 AM   #58
sarnali
Founding Member

don't waste your time, longride. they're expensive bikes with some neat features that run like crap, if you question why the bike surges like a '64 falcon with a bad clutch, they say" they all do that, you just have to adjust your riding style," mine's for sale after a week of ownership,( a personal best in dis-satisfaction for me) my '79R100RT w/ 75k miles was more fun than this one.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:44 AM   #59
CLAYBIRD
Founding Member

To the self declared literary critics. Find something else to compain about. Bass's article was the most entertaining MO piece in a long time. If you can't handle something different in your obsessive compulsive disorder lives just sit home and read the spec. sheet on your toaster.
CLAYBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:58 AM   #60
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Actually it wasn't cap, but if it makes you feel better to think it does then good for you.