Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-10-2003, 06:10 AM   #141
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Fat Boy Styling

Well, in the 60's there were just 2 Harleys to buy, a Sporty and a FLH (Glide). No Superglide models then. Some guys didn't like all the bags and fairing, so they stripped off the bags and fairing, "chopped" the front fenders and fitted a smaller seat. Harley took that look that the guys rode back then and made the Fat Boy. Basically a stripped FLH from the 60's. Check EBay and look at mid 60's to 70's FLH Shovelheads and I'm sure you will see almost exactly what I'm talking about.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2003, 07:56 AM   #142
lostdog
Founding Member

Default Post-mortem

What a piece of work I was last week. I could try make excuses for my rants, but I won't.

I violated the two self-imposed rules that I try to follow in all internet discussions. The first, and most important, is no name calling. My standard response, when someone applies this debating "technique" on a discussion board, is to reply with "By resorting to personal attacks, you only demean yourself." This exchange proves that emphatically. So, when my initial assumption was proved to be false, making my entire point moot, I was handed my ass. As I should have been.

The second personal rule I didn't follow is based on advice a friend's grandfather gave me many, many years ago. He said, "Son, if you're already in a hole, there's no use to continue digging." More than once I've thought, in retrospect, that I should have heeded his advice. This is one of those times.

Everyone has their blind spots. One of mine happens to be the use of motorcycle helmets. Who knows why I chose last week to pop off on the helmet issue when a heated discussion had taken place on MO a few days earlier.

Mea culpa,

Evans
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:19 AM   #143
Badwinger
Founding Member

Default Re: '04 Yamaha Road Star Feedback

CENSORSHIP!!!

WHY WAS MY POST (first one posted) REMOVED?? A LITTLE TOO MUCH HONESTY FOR YOU?? NO BAD WORDS, NO CURSING, JUST HONEST CRITICISM OF AN ARTICLE THAT I PAID FOR WITH MY SUBSCRIPTION DOLLARS.

YOU WILL NOT SEE ANY MORE OF MY DOLLARS, HOWEVER.

WHAT WILL YOU DO, REMOVE THIS POST, TOO????
Badwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:51 AM   #144
jaypuck
Founding Member

hell, if *I* could I would. jesus man, lose the caps lock.
jaypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #145
Badwinger
Founding Member

Use of Caps Lock is meant to convey yelling, according to standard internet usage.
Badwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 11:04 AM   #146
jaypuck
Founding Member

yes, and so are multiple punctuation marks (which this person also uses very well) but there is a point when it loses all meaning and just becomes sandpaper for the eyeball.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #147
jaypuck
Founding Member

well, what a moron (me)...my mistake, it was so civil a post that I could not fathom you posting it.

to answer your question initially, your post was modded down as 'idiotic troll' and is below your current view threshold. view everything as -1 and you can see your posts as well as kpaul's. have fun.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:37 AM   #148
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I think it has to do with his bike - you have an E-glide, right buz?
Old 06-10-2003, 11:50 AM   #149
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Harley didn't invent that style of motorcycle. It evolved over time as a conglomeration of styling elements from many other brands and models and Harley is just the company that has been doing it the longest and have been the most successful at it.

I'll grant that the R1200C has some original style to it, but the Valkyrie really doesn't (IMO) other than the engine. The fenders, forks, tank, and seat shape are all basically the same as a Road Star or Fat Boy or a Vulcan.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:48 PM   #150
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Of course you know that. I wouldn't expect anyone with the handle 99R6 to be able to figure that out.

Actually it started with my previous bike (Low Rider) which is part of the Dyna Glide family.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote