Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #101
lostdog
Founding Member

Default Re: Puns

<blockquote> From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):

Pun Pun, n. [Cf. Pun to pound, Pound to beat.]

A play on words which have the same sound but different

meanings; an expression in which two different applications

of a word present an odd or ludicrous idea; a kind of quibble

or equivocation.</blockquote>

Hmmm.

DRAG racing. Dressing in DRAG. A photo combining the two.

You're right, no pun here. Thanks for the tip.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2003, 02:52 PM   #102
lostdog
Founding Member

Default Mags

<blockquote>I don't think he wrote for Sport Rider - I think it was MC Cruiser or Cruising Rider or Rider or one of those.</blockquote>

With the exception of Rider, all of the above plus Motorcyclist, ATV Rider, rideamotorcycle.com, Friction Zone, and Backroads.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #103
lostdog
Founding Member

Default Re: honestly

<blockquote>2) it has been my observation that people who ride cruisers wearing beanies are at CONSIDERABLY lower risk than the average R1 organ donor wearing full racing gear on the street.</blockquote>

You might want to do a little research. The trends appear to be changing. However, until a dedicated study is conducted, no one can be certain.

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/2002fatals/

A selection from the article:

<blockquote>These numbers have led to a lot of speculation about the causes. Sales of new streetbikes have more than doubled during since 1997, so it seems apparent that more people are riding motorcycles. Many of the patterns seem to run counter to those traditionally seen in motorcycle accidents. For example, the motorcycle accident caused by the driver of another vehicle who violates the rider's right-of-way at an urban intersection is apparently becoming less common than the motorcyclist who crashes all by himself on a rural road. Where riders in their 20s once formed the largest group in fatal motorcycle-accident statistics, older riders (over 40) have become the dominant segment. Alcohol involvement continues to be a major factor, but has declined during the last few years. More and more riders have received formal rider education even as the fatality numbers have risen. The apparent increase of fatal accidents as a percentage of the total accident pictures suggests that we are doing a poorer job of protecting ourselves--perhaps because fewer states have helmet laws and more riders are wearing non-protective novelty helmets that don't meet DOT standards in states where helmets are required--or that we are crashing harder. Cruisers are apparently a bigger part of the accident picture, but then they are also a bigger part of the bike-sales picture.</blockquote>

Evans
Old 06-06-2003, 03:31 PM   #104
saaz
Registered Member

Default Re: '04 Yamaha Road Star Feedback

I thought the review said as much as you need to say about cruisers. I thought cruisers were a lifestyle thing, not like doing a sports bike shhotout or touring review.
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:43 PM   #105
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Evans, please go away

Resident idiot? I thought that was your job....
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:54 PM   #106
Betamax
Founding Member

An entertaining article, well written and funny.

Ebass: the hotel staff weren't intimidated by your appearance because they saw that the cruiser was a Yamaha and recognized that you were a sheep in wolf's clothing (so to speak).

As for the bike itself: if I wanted an air-cooled, push-rod engined cruiser, I'd just suck it up and buy a Harley.

The Yamaha line of cruisers clearly embodies the 'wannabe' principal of design, lending unwarranted credence to the Highwaymanesque cry of HD owners everywhere---to whit, that all metric cruisers are HD knockoffs.

It's too bad that Yamaha is trying to re-invent the past instead of inventing the future.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 05:18 PM   #107
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: honestly, evans ..

Hear Hear! I saw about 5 of those donors today, all stretched out, lanesplitting up the Harbor Freeway. That is they were lanesplitting while the traffic was running at about 60mph.

Future organ donors indeed.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:54 PM   #108
12er
Founding Member

Here here, if EBass just stuck to the facts here would be the review;

15% hp increase, 7.5% torque increase. Rides like a cruiser, looks like a cruiser. Stats are as follows...

What else can you write about a cruiser built to cruise as priority one? With hog crawls being about the only "racing" really done with a cruiser any well balanced bike will do. At least I was laughing out loud reading the article, high entertainment value on what I figured would be one boring read about a boring bike.

Now to finish packing for my ride to Hearst Castle in the morning, lunch in Carmel anyone?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:05 PM   #109
12er
Founding Member

Sorry to hear about your experiance, I'm now really glad the RT didnt fit me and I had to buy the K. 21k miles of bliss so far... 600 more this weekend, hopefully...

Wish you luck in finding a ride that does it for you.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 03:49 AM   #110
sarnali
Founding Member

#@$^%&#@-smart-ass-$#%^%$#
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote