Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-27-2003, 02:00 PM   #1
NO1ZX6R
Registered Member

Default Re: Onboard @Suzuka Reader Feedback

pretty cool, we do need a deal like that here in the States. Bridgestone? are you listening?
NO1ZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2003, 02:03 PM   #2
KPaulCook
Banned

Excellent Story. Love the videos. Love the track. Great discription of Craig's ride. Look forward to more stuff from Craig. Like Yossef in Europe it is great to hear things from overseas.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:30 PM   #3
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Mecca for inline 4 fans

I forgot to mention that I envy your opportunity to live in the land of inline 4. Look forward to some scoop about the latest bikes CBR1000RR ? Anything you have heard or seen in Japan.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:47 PM   #4
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Great videos and story! If at all possible, please continue to post stories like this.

On a side note, I always thought that the MotoGP video games' claim of being so accurate was exaggerated... until I saw these videos. It's amazing how accurate the game is.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
jmeyn
Founding Member

The drawing of turn 130R doesn't show the wall placement. Could you point us to a drawing that shows Kato's course? The outside exit has a huge asphalt run-off area; I understand Kato actually hit a wall on the inside of the 340' radius segment. So strange.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:24 PM   #6
smythie
Founding Member

It wasn't at 130R that Kato had his problem. It was in the braking area into the chicanes after 130R IIRC. At least that's where I saw the aftermath during the race coverage.

Ride Careful folks - They're out there
Old 05-27-2003, 07:02 PM   #7
Denroll
Founding Member

Default I was there, too!!

Ouch, not even any photography credits. I, too, was there, being brought along to take pictures of Craig. Here's my newbie point of view. Not too many people can say that they rode Suzuka for their first track session, but I am fortunate enough to. I was riding a far-from-race-ready Honda VTR1000F equipped with an Ohlins rear shock, Yoshimura slip-ons, and shod with a new set of excellent Bridgestone BT012SS shoes. I'll have to admit, lining up with 50 or so other bikes for my first track session was a little intimidating, and sometimes down-right scary, but fear soon gave way to pure bliss... until some guy on a 250cc two-smoke burnt me on the outside, mid-turn. Kinda breaks the concentration the first few times. As the day progressed, I stopped getting passed and began to do some passing of my own. I fondly remember trailing a Moto Guzzi for almost an entire lap before passing him in the chicane. The long right hander after the hairpin left is an absolute blast, just like Craig said, and my favorite part of the track. Just lean over and crank the throttle forever...awesome. I was consistently hitting 240Kmph on the front straight and one lap, I felt like I had a very good exit speed onto the front straight. I decided to try for 250 this time up. As I'm barreling down the straight on my 400 pound bumble-bee (yellow V-twin), I'm watching the tach and speedo like a hawk, perhaps a bit too much because I looked up and I was past my usual braking point. Approaching turn one way closer than usual and going 245Kmph, I suddenly learned how to use my brakes to their full potential. Exhilarating, to say the least.

End of the day status report; I've got a set of balled-up Bridgestones, scraped up knee pucks and toe sliders, missing my peg feelers, and an insatiable hunger for the track. I managed to run a 2:46. Not bad for a newbie on a streetbike on street tires, eh? The only negative part of my riding here is that every other track may pale in comparison, but I'll still have fun. With any luck, I should be riding Fuji Speedway and another Bridgestone day at Tsukuba this June, this time on some BT001 Pro's. Watch out, Craig!
Denroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:50 PM   #8
ducfast
Founding Member

Default Re: Mecca for inline 4 fans

Funny you ask.

One of the Japanese riders on our team has a friend who was recently hired by Honda R&D to help work on the new Honda 1000.

This guy is one of the test riders/engineers. I'm having a BBQ on 14 June and after a few beers, will pump him for some info!

Craig
ducfast is offline   Reply With Quote