Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Review: Fast Riding the Roberts Way (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1868-review-fast-riding-roberts-way.html)

12er 05-21-2003 07:49 PM

Re: Review: Fast Riding the Roberts Way

While we love the king, having the cruiser guru's thoughts on the subject may seem a little weird to many. Either way good work Ebass!

12er 05-21-2003 07:54 PM

Uh, that doesnt read like I meant to say it. It was to be more of a pun to the "3 hours without a comment" update, yet fell way way way short. Nevermind, feel free to moderate to idiotic troll status...

dmensch 05-22-2003 04:30 AM

Web Opinion (Was Re: Review: Fast Riding the Roberts Way)

Regarding people over-reacting to web opinion, motorcycle.com is even making into The Onion's sights:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3919/re..._of_human.html

obandoj 05-22-2003 06:58 AM

Ok,ok, you guys are the best, but not as good as The King, he was and still is the essence of what motorcycle road racing is all about. How I wish we had a time machine so that we could put Valentino Rossi and Kenny Roberts on equal bikes and let them rip! Two of the best we have ever seen.

rsheidler 05-22-2003 07:17 AM

It would be really interesting to see Agostini, Hailwood, Sheene, Roberts, Rossi etc all in their respective primes on equal bikes.

This kind of topic is allways good for some heated discussion/speculation.

Of course, there is always the probablility that the skills that were most suited for bikes of one era would not be ideal for the bikes of another era.

The flattrack style introduced by Roberts was going out of favor late in the 500GP era as the top riders used more of a 250-style, trust the front tire, approach. The 4-strokes have somewhat changed that around, but still, I bet that Roberts in his prime would get beaten by Rossi, if both were on RCVs, and conversely that Roberts would beat Rossi if both were on TZ750s with mid-70s tires.

FrankS1 05-22-2003 09:52 AM

Gotta sympathize with your reviewer on this one. Contrast what appears to be a documentary of KR taking some cash customers through the training with "On Any Sunday" as a case in point. If they had titled that one "Fast Off Road Riding the Malcolm Smith Way" people would say two things, first, I couldn't ride like Malcolm Smith, and second It's a great video.

Unless I've missed the whole point of the KR video, I'd say two things, first I couldn't ride like Kenny Roberts and second It's a mediocre video.

I pick on Malcolm Smith because he lives about 10 miles from my house in the summer, and he's the best rider I've ever met personally, as well as being pleasant to talk to. I've never met KR, but he comes across as too intense for me to want to have much to do with, even watching his video.

(Now johnnyB can start back in on ad hominem attacks.)

KPaulCook 05-22-2003 10:44 AM

Excellent Review, I going to buy it for my race with Sean

Great stuff. I only wish I could bow down to Kenny in person and take the class. In any case I have to get ready for the big race with Sean at Laguna. You remember Sean don't you. You are going to race me around Laguna on a Blast right???

SeanAlexander 05-22-2003 12:02 PM

Re: Excellent Review, I going to buy it for my race with Sean

Yeah that sounds like a plan. If the powers that be at Mo can set it up, I'm there!.

jmeyn 05-22-2003 12:07 PM

We seem to be missing the neatest part

...in the hopes of preparing them for 500cc street racing. !!!!!!

How much? When do I start?

wOzerd 05-25-2003 03:22 AM

Re: We seem to be missing the neatest part

Delete "street", insert "road", (what do you expect from a cruiser rider eh?).

Concerning the video-- hmmmmmmm pay your hard earned to watch some no names beat around on 100cc dirt bikes??? I'll PASS.