Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   '03 Best of the Best Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1861-03-best-best-feedback.html)

dardas 05-19-2003 09:11 PM

any takers?

you and your green 'fro looking to stir up trouble again, [b]troll?

src="http://www.theshamrockgarden.com/gifts/troll.jpg">

maxriderdon 05-20-2003 12:56 AM

Re: '03 Best of the Best Feedback

As usual one of those with Hardly a clue. Sucking up to a name brand just because....it's a Harley. Prob a AOL user too. Death of the inline four??? Again clueless!

ShamanWS6 05-20-2003 02:01 AM

Dude, wake the ***** up. The more power you have, the more skill it takes to reign it in, and most people aren't worthy of the gsx-r 1000. But go and take a look at AMA times between the 1000 pros and the 600 pros. Ouch!

I'd also like to point you to the Master Bike comparo recently done... GSX-R 1000 takes it all, and convincingly.

Speaking of the 636 beating a 750. Oooh-wee... you mean one highly modified bike managed to beat another highly modified bike with a different rider... once? And you figure that means that the 636 was faster? Give me a break man. Obviously you haven't been around racing very long...

Buzglyd 05-20-2003 02:35 AM

Apparently some of the local yokels aren't getting the humor of your post.

Just make sure you bold some of the type in random parts of your rant to make it appear more KPaul-esque.

I gotta go find my bowling shoes.

fizzchem 05-20-2003 02:36 AM

I think Hayden is second in the points standings after three consecutive victories and a fourth at Road Atlanta. The Kawi 636 is competitive with the Suzuki 750 in the AMA Superstock races.

The larger point may be (as you eloquently point out) that most people do not have the skills to ride the Gixxer to it's limit. For lots of riders out there, a 600SS may be a better choice, especially either on the road (where top speed may not be attained by law or prudence) or a track that especially tight like the Streets course.

Grover 05-20-2003 04:08 AM

I normally stay out of flame-fests, but your argument is so full of holes and completely self-contradicting that I'm biting at this one.

First you suggest we go look at AMA times between "1000pros" and "600pros" to prove the superiority of 1000's. A few lines later, you downplay the significance of a smaller "highly modified" bike beating a larger "highly modified" bike... So what was your point with respect to comparing the times of the 1000s and the 600s again? I mean, talk about an insignificant comparison.

Wait, there's more...

The above-referenced 1000 to 600 comparison you suggest is on the most highly modified (save formula extreme, but I'll get to that in a minute) bikes there are, namely the superbikes and the supersports. Whereas the four (at least?) times the 636 has beaten the 750's it's been in superstock, a class with very few modifications allowed, suggesting that with respect to the bikes you and I can acquire, the 636 has a really good shot at being the faster bike for you and I when it comes to riding in the streets and canyons because it's cornering speed, not straightaway speed that matters in those situations.

Lets see, what else...

Oh yeah. The Formula Extreme bikes. Big bikes with big displacement and pretty much unlimited modifications, except they're slower than the superbikes. Say what you want about factory support and blah blah blah, but the fact of the matter is that the formula extreme bikes make tons of power, can't put it to the ground, and handle like dump trucks compared to the (sometimes) smaller superbikes. More proof that size and HP aren't everything.

And finally...

While I generally agree with your "the more power you have, the more skill it takes to reign it in" statement, I would like to point out the following: A mediocre rider on a liter bike (for example) might able to as to go fast as an excellent rider on a 600 (for example) for the simple fact that he can pu$$y-foot through the corners, whack open the throttle, and make up for his poor cornering prowess on the straights. Unfortunately, the mediocre rider thinks he's setting the world on fire and fails to realize just how poor his skills are because he's using the bikes power as a crutch. Obviously there's a level of rider skill where this distinction goes away, but I'd say most everyone that's at that level has been racing for a long time and fully understands their strengths and weaknesses.

My dream choice for the track? RS250, thank you. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to out-break and out-corner some squid on a bike with 4 times the displacement, only to have him scream past me on the straight, thinking he's the bomb while I chuckle to myself inside my helmet.

Any chump can go fast in a straight line on a big bike.

Abe_Froman 05-20-2003 04:26 AM

Getting his ass handed to him? 2 sevenths and one crash in his first three GP races means he's ahead of 2/3 of the rest of the field.

Hadji 05-20-2003 04:29 AM

Any Chump Can......

Way too cool! But I have to revise your last statement.

Any chump can go fast in a straight line.

Singles and Twins Forever!

Abe_Froman 05-20-2003 04:47 AM

I have to disagree with all the liter-bike bashing.....

I think a liter bike is far better for the street. You don't need to wind it out and have it on the boil to go fast. I can tool through the corner in a safe, higher gear than any 600 allowing me to feel comfortable with getting on the gas early, yet still have enough torque to take the 600 on the exit. The torque of a liter bike also comes in handy in numerous places in street situations, i.e. passing, etc.

In any case, the liter bike is more enjoyable on the confines of the street where ringing corners with the engine in the powerband isn't a good idea.

fizzchem 05-20-2003 05:26 AM

In any case, the liter bike is more enjoyable on the confines of the street where ringing corners with the engine in the powerband isn't a good idea.

Why not?