Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-21-2003, 04:55 AM   #91
jaypuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Johnny.... you missed a great opportunity.

and with that comment, let's segregate every bike to it's own race. run the ducati against ducatis. put the rc5 against only rc5s. it's only fair, right? who wants to see a different motorcycle race against a different configuration competitively? the answer to that question is me. and a LOT of other people. I do not want to see every bike on the track have the same style engine. no, it's not real world. but it's also not fun to watch a v-twin get eaten alive by the i-4 (and we all know that it will in stock form, we've covered all the engineering reasons in every thrice damned forum on this site. thank kpaul for that) so you need rules making the v-twin competitive.

I'm not going out to buy a ducati or rc5 in hopes of outrunning an inline four, it can't be done (except by a more skilled rider and my name is not hayden, mladin, or even sean alexander). I buy bikes I like and I like seeing those bikes racing (in non-stock form with less restricting rules) competively with other manufacturers bikes. that's what most everyone wants and that is what the superbike series' try to give us.
jaypuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2003, 05:07 AM   #92
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: '03 Best of the Best Feedback

Good. Long as I don't get beat by one of those torqueless 600-4s.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:58 AM   #93
sarnali
Founding Member

What a coincedence, I'm blazingly fast yet ruggedly handsome myself!. I've shown "true sportbikes" my bandits tail light a time or two. Though I usually just ride my own pace, it happens to be pretty quick at times.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 06:02 AM   #94
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Hard times for KPaul

Says so right there on page 32.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 06:53 AM   #95
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Go back to school Sean. Intuition can only be used by sucessfully by women

Why he maybe correct is material science i.e. some limitation of the material used. Not some law of physics limiting big pistons going fast. By your logic it means that the Space Shuttle can not go faster than a Cessna 182 because the Shuttle is bigger has more mass. or more interesting by your logic the turbine blades of a 777 engine can not turn faster than a propeller blade on Cessna 210. One could argue a big piston and rod made of titatinum could go faster than one made of Harley grade iron. Given prefect materials you and him are incorrect. One can make an equally intutive argument that big pistons and rods are more substantial and structurely sound Sean go back to school pal.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 06:59 AM   #96
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Hard times for KPaul

You are a funny guy. Opps I had trouble on bike today cause I have to keep my rpms between 9000-14000. At 9000 in 6th gear I am going 90mph but hey you Harley boys are right.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:38 AM   #97
Mashuri
Founding Member

Default Re: Peak HP vs Torque (Ftlbs, Newton Meters) be clear what you are talking about

Wow...Your incomprehension of my response is staggering. Are you for real??? Let me help you understand then.

IF the Buell and GSXR had the EXACT same gear ratios, final drive ratio, etc., to give them the same exact leverege to the rear wheel then, yes, that Buell is gonna out-pull that GSXR, despite it's higher HP rating. Read my posts again to understand why the real-world GSXR smokes the Buell. I'll spell it out for you just to make sure: IT'S BECAUSE THE GIXXER CAN USE SHORTER GEARING!!! I've been saying all along that a liter 4-banger will out-accelerate a liter twin. You just have the reasons why wrong.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:40 AM   #98
mad1
Founding Member

Default Re: Peak HP vs Torque (Ftlbs, Newton Meters) be clear what you are talking about

"If you are talking about torque the 2 cylinder bikes have an advantage at low rpm levels" - Not True .....

Just look at the dyno chart for the GSXR vs the Aprilia - at no RPM (other than the IMHO insignificant dip for the GSXR at 3500) does the Aprilia make more torque OR power. Factor in the extra weight of an additional set of cams, chains and whatnot (I'm not a mechanical engineer) and the GSXR clearly beats out the Aprilia here on all counts.

Sure, you can now quote another dyno where (your favourite V-twin) produces more (power and/or torque) than (your scapegoat inline 4), but my point is that, "If you pump equal amounts of time/money/design cycles into a V-Twin and an inline-4, all other things being equal, the inline-4 will produce more power and more torque at ALL rpm.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.....

mad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:53 AM   #99
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

And he probably wouldn't be doing any better than any of the other guys on the RC51, probably no better than Eric Bostrom. The G1000 is bringing a gun to a knife fight.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:58 AM   #100
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

If I'm not mistaken there are several veteran or at least far more experienced riders that are also riding the RC211V that are behind Nicky in the standings. And don't give me the "they don't have the best bike" stuff. Every RC211V is basically a custom race bike that is the best money can buy. These aren't guys buying GSXR750's off the showroom floor and putting pipes and race tires on them, then going out and racing Matt Mladin on his (highly-modified, non-factory) factory race bike.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote