Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-16-2003, 08:25 AM   #31
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Exile Cycles Videos Reader Feedback

Let me describe this bike to you in case you missed the pictures. It's an evo motor hardtail with raked front end and a round oil tank that looks like some guy built it in his garage and did a very nice job of it!

I did a Triumph version of it about 25 years ago, as did many other gearheads - it was a piece of sh... But, hey, if you've got more money than experience go for it! You only live once.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2003, 09:22 AM   #32
sjriott
Founding Member

That was one of the most gay burnouts I've ever seen. I'm glad I don't have to put water down on cement before I try to spin the tire on my Vmax. How embarrassing is that? Even my WR426 Dirt Bike is capable of roasting the rear tire off on the pavement.

Overall, the looks remind me of an old bike that someone just wanted to get running again so they shot it with some flat black paint.

Why can't somebody build a custom that looks like the standard Hardley's with the new Porsche (Vrod) engine? Something with some balls that won't shake itself to death?

Old 05-16-2003, 09:22 AM   #33
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Can you say Fugly Deathtrap, boys and girls?

Will put yout you down as "no thanks and please don't send sales brochures". I agree for 30K I'll buy a Ducati a new car Kia for my daughter. But I do get bored of the same old custom chopper thing Jesse James stuff. Maybe I don't get out much but there is a clean and simple thing I like about these bikes. But after what you said these bikes definitely need a reality check. Great post thanks.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:24 AM   #34
KPaulCook
Banned

"I did a Triumph version of it about 25 years ago, as did many other gearheads - it was a piece of sh..." Looks like wide ties are making a come back. Just goes to show you styles recycle over time huh.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:52 AM   #35
F451
Founding Member

The theme is the connection with the road and machine, not the sports aspect. Having owned several British automobiles of that era there is a certain aspect about those cars that one never forgets.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:54 AM   #36
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: All right already!

Cute.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:54 AM   #37
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Harley Night Train has nice clean lies...

The Night Train softtail actually has nice lines, understated look, black engine, and a very light amount of chrome (forks, headlamp, pipe). AND you get a more civilized (counterbalanced) engine, decent suspension, less rake (but still a fair amount for that look), etc etc etc, for a fraction of the cost.

Likewise, the SuperGlide Sport in black, a very similar look but steeper steering angle. IF I ever (god forbid) became a CruiserPoseur, and was going to plunk the money down on a MoCo barge, it would be one of those, as they do have clean and simple in the styling.

The HDs don't have the super-raked-out front, but when you think about it, those super-raked, superhigh fronts are just plain silly: they kill handling (and suspension), make teh ergonomics even worse, and leave this huge GAP in the frame simply becaue the gas tank is so tiny.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:03 AM   #38
F451
Founding Member

Mitchell's shop did the laced wheels for the Confederate Confederado's. Probably never got paid either. The first generation Confederate's were gorgeous bikes with a myriad of problems, reflecting not only the bike itself, but the internal business workings of Confederate. The new H2 is a gimmicky bike. But the best question to ask is whether an owner of the first generation of first Confederate's would ever buy another bike from Confederate? Unfortunately, the majority will say no.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:17 AM   #39
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: Iron Giant

Since this is not a dirt bike, chains have come a long way and he probably recommends a chain lube with wax content, plus given that centrifugal force will sling the lubrication outward and that the brake piston is inboard, added to the fact that owners of these bikes keep them detailed means that the rear brake most likely works fine. Also, in the category of expendables, given a rotor and a sprocket are two separate items, but in this case they are one, your replacement costs should actually be less.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:57 AM   #40
ender
Registered Member

Default Re: Why do they all look the same?

No kidding, I can't believe he is criticizing others for lack of imnagination when his sole claim to fame seems to be satin black paint jobs and a questionable sprocket design.

I don't get the cruiser market at all, and I don't understand how something can be custom when everything else is essentially just like it.

Could it be because there isn't chance in hell that a truly "custom" bike could exceed in any way the performance of a factory machine (except hardley's)?
ender is offline   Reply With Quote