Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-15-2003, 06:28 PM   #11
JoeBlade
Founding Member

Default Screw Clooney

No not literally.

What I want to know is what does the Highwayman have to say on the subject?

Harley clones assembled by an ex-brit who hates yellow and lime green.

Is he an atrociteur? Only the Highwayman can tell us.
JoeBlade is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2003, 07:16 PM   #12
YZFknucklehead
Founding Member

Default Re: Exile Cycles Videos Reader Feedback

If I'm going to spend 30-40 thousand dollars for a bike, the damn thing better look *****in!! Mitchell's bikes are definitely unique, but where's his sense of adventure? His plain paper bag approach to motorcycle building leaves me flacid.
YZFknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:49 PM   #13
F451
Founding Member

Mitchell build motorcycles that are of a "timeless" design. Viewing his motorcycles conjures memories of the first Triumph choppers... he's a modern day minimalist who has a breath and depth of design understanding you rarely see today.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 08:51 PM   #14
Sam_Freed
Registered Member

Default All right already!

Give it a rest Mrs. Mitchell.
Sam_Freed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 03:18 AM   #15
aknopak
Founding Member

I have to say I really like the approach, the unclutteredness is refreshing. Very 'clean' indeed.

I do have my doubts on the functionality of the rear brake though... It looks great, but the rearsprocket is about the dirtiest/greasiest place on the entire bike, and considering you would have to buy a new brake disc/sprocket combo whenever the sprocket or chain is worn, it does not seem to be a very practical solution.

Actually, I think the best thing about Harleys is the belt drive, now that's functional.

And that front tire! It's amazing the thing can turn at all. Of course, the side stand is no longer needed

In Britain (maybe in the US too) there's a class of bikes called 'survival bikes'. They are all about functionality, and chopping off all unnecessary bits. The exile bike reminds me of those, although in general the starting point of a survival bike is an old bike instead of a brand new one...

(see for instance www.radicalbikes.cjb.net)
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:32 AM   #16
nokneedragin
Founding Member

A few years ago, brainstorming in the garage with beers and bud's, after beating ourselves sensless all day on our dirtbikes, we thought up the same idea of combining the sproket and brake rotor. Came to the same conclusion, that the grease and general grime would kill the brake.

Otherwise it might work on a limited use motorcycle, or with a belt drive setup.

Interesting bike, not my cup o tea though.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:59 AM   #17
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Iron Giant

I'm refering to the first picture in the Exile article. The two little lights remind me of the eyes of the cartoon movie robot in "The Iron Giant". I love that movie. Actually the front tire makes the bike look like it should be a float in the Macy's Day Parade. As for the gimmick brake ***** sprocket, apparently you are never to oil the chain. When I was a Marine down at Camp Lejeune back in the middle to late seventies I owned a 77' cb900F. I had a bottle to heavy weight gear oil bungied to a back turn signal that I used to oil the chain with practically daily. I still have that bike stored in a garage and it has over 30,000 miles on it and the chain never stretched over a quarter of an inch. I attributed the chain life to keeping it heavily lubed. It was the stock chain without o-rings and I'd take it to the car wash and blasted the crud out of the links and then lube it with the trusty quart bottle of gear lube. Anyways, o-ring chain or not, the Excile gimmick brake/sprocket is not a very good long haul solution. Tell me if I have this all wrong.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:39 AM   #18
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: He's bonafide!

Can I be George?
Old 05-16-2003, 05:47 AM   #19
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Why do they all look the same?

Ok, so here's another 45 degree V-Twin custom cruiser designed to pick the pockets of the Yuppie wannabes. Excuse me, but so friggin' what? I just got back from doing some work for Uncle Sam in Germany, and there's lots more custom work being done over there that we just don't get to see over here. Why are we Americans so hung up on this concept? Do people really pay for this stuff?

Old 05-16-2003, 05:48 AM   #20
pplassm
Founding Member

You're kidding, right? I thought those cars actually CORNERED! Look at the thing! OK, it's a neat cruiser, but SPORT, it's not!