Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-10-2003, 06:47 PM   #51
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: 2003 CBR600RR Reader Feedback

I think your rev limiter idea is a good one. I was a good boy and followed the break in instructions of my owners manual. So that kind of helped me get used to it. I also used an empty parking lot at Boeing (lots of those these days ) to practice every day after work for a month before I took it out for a serious trip. On my Ninja you could seriously never have to get above 6000 rpms to learn on. People who don't believe that haven't been on a 600 lately.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2003, 06:49 PM   #52
sarnali
Founding Member

He meant "KA-KA"
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:53 PM   #53
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Why can't they make bikes with adjustable pegs, seats, etc.

Double the price and you got it, well I got it. The bars on my bmw move to 4 positions, seat, pegs and windshield have 2 positions each. Or for about the same double price tag you can move your 999's footpegs from painful to painful to painful or just crampy...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:59 PM   #54
12er
Founding Member

Bite the bullet and get the abs. Its saved me about ten times so far. From sand and mud to antifreeze and oil. Granted its over $2k but have you priced a skin graft lately? Just a thought...
Old 05-10-2003, 07:14 PM   #55
sarnali
Founding Member

When I got my K100RS in '86 the *system cases* were about $650, plus I had to buy the luggage rack seperately. Apparently the luggage rack on the '04 R1150R is integrated with the bag mounts. Frankly I was surprised they'd only gone up $100 bucks in 18 years. The windshield I was looking at was (around) $250 plus $150 for the mounting kit plus tax. The whole deal still comes in around $12000 otd @ 4.9% for 60 mos. So I'm pretty pumped. When I got my K bike I got the 600 mile service done then my ex and I took off for 3 weeks through Montana, Yellowstone, southern Oregon and Idaho, What a blast.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:37 PM   #56
sarnali
Founding Member

I like the idea of ABS, both my nissan and my ranger have it, in the Seattle/ Tacoma area it's almost required. Do you notice any negitive's about it on your K12? From what I've read the testers say how great it is, then turn around and say they'd rather not have it, or they'd pay to keep it off! Is it just some kind of "I can brake better without ABS" snobbery going on or what? I ride pretty much year 'round, and it's damp for about 7 mos. out of the year, so I can see the appeal of ABS. Does it take awhile to adapt or what?
Old 05-10-2003, 08:19 PM   #57
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default My Foist Bike?

Okay, so some of you think that a newbie should avoid the 600 supersport. I take your advice into consideration, and if you had thought otherwise, regardless of the sheer gravity of my desire, I do have enough sense (not to mention a hamstrung bank account) to not buy the RR. That being said, and the fact that I refuse to be caught dead on the Ninja 250, I ask if a 1992 Honda CBR 600 would be a good newbie mount (there are some good deals that I can actually afford and still have money to buy a good helmet and an Aerostitch). Yes I promise to keep it under 7000 rpm until I have logged some serious miles and gained good experience.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:28 PM   #58
12er
Founding Member

Default Longwinded responce:

Well my K12's brakes are linked and running the ABS II servo assisted system. So to some it should be the antichrist of braking systems.

Why with power antilock brakes that activate with one simple one or two fingered pull on the lever slowing roughly 1000lbs faster than anyone would think possible, I can see where some manly mens pride could be on the line.

Frankly the only thing I had to adjust to was keeping myself from going over the bars when I grabbed a handful. That and not having to think about braking again. It allows you to focus on what your trying to avoid instead of not tucking the front tire. In the rain its a godsend especially with our favorite wet crosswalk paint stripes and manhole covers. Though the first time it fully kicks in will freak you out.

For me that was on my way home from work, doing about 45mph turning into a left hand turn lane to get on the freeway. The light was red so I waited till my normal stopping distance (translation; late braking) and I hit the brakes, nothing happened! A fraction of a second later they kick in and I stop safely. Once I swallowed my heart I started to give the bike a once over then looked behind me. Right in the middle of the lane was a 2ft puddle of oil then a 3 inch wide river running across the lane to the right. Looked as if someone dropped a rod then pushed the car off to the side of the road. Now I don't know if you watch racing but when I see oil on the track and the pro's hit it, its not pretty (a certain world supersport race last year comes to mind). So this whole "I can outbrake the computer" mindset is a load of cr@p. What cutting a perfect light in drag racing is .04 of a second reaction time? Thats the best we humans can muster and not many of us at that. When the computer is running in the thousandths of a second I want it on my side. Add in the ham fisted among us and it looks even better.

Now if your on a race bike, on a race track and are one of the immortals that can back it in, save it on your knee and wheelie out, yes its a waste of money. It wont allow you to do the wizardry you do so well. But if your like me, trying to get home from work to your family without ending up on rotton.com I'd highly recommend it.

But why take my word for it? BMW is nice enough to offer test rides. Talk to your dealer and take one out, find a safe spot and hammer the brakes. If you havent ejected yourself over the bars I think you will be sold.

Doh! Rambled until 12:30am, best head off to bed so I can have breakfast out of the way before the 9am pst start of the 250 gp race on speed. So what everyone think about the ducs sitting 1-2 for the Moto GP race? First year! Uh, hello Suzuki...
Old 05-10-2003, 10:43 PM   #59
12er
Founding Member

Well my bike was going to be the demo so they had the "System Case Mounts" already on the bike. Being the first person to demo it, upon returning I bought it. Needless to say they forgot about the mounts and noticed it only after all the paperwork was signed. So I did get one freeby out of the deal. Bags go for $309 each, same key locks are $22 each then the pinwheel logo and reflector are $12 per bag. I called 5 shops, same price...

Sounds like one fine trip, Ive been waiting to take off to colorado and back threw NM and AZ for a couple weeks now but with the weather I dont want to end up in Oz...
Old 05-11-2003, 01:01 AM   #60
danno
Founding Member

Default Nice call

Of course! My bad to have suggested RC30 or RC45. And here I thought I was being clever. Oddly enough, I own a vtec VFR. I have also owned a gear-driven VFR (and even a pre-gear VF750F -- mine behaved quite well, thanks). I do occasionally miss the gear-drive whine, but the new bike is a sweet machine. I even like the vtec. It might be a gimmic, but sometimes passing through 7k can be a real rush. It still galls me that our friends over a Motorcyclist left that "porkomatic" comment in their summary table even after most testers said that the new bike handles marvelously and doesn't feel heavier.
danno is offline   Reply With Quote