Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-02-2003, 03:21 PM   #71
Xylene
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Ducati Multistrada Reader Feedback

The 'strada strikes as being like a beautiful girl with perfect face, smile and body but cursed with large bulbous nose. Hard to look past it....
Xylene is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2003, 03:26 PM   #72
Xylene
Founding Member

The KTM D2 WILL be in my garage!!! Can't friggin' wait!
Xylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 03:34 PM   #73
Dervish
Founding Member

Default Re: Gran Canyon

Of course I agree with the above, since I own a Gran Canyon. Of the 35+ bikes I've owed, my Gran Canyon pegs the fun meter as much as any of them. It eats up ugly twisted (i.e., "real") back roads better than any pure sport bike ever could, including my R1, 748 and ZX9R. Plenty of power to run over the ton, with tons of grunt and flawless fuel injection and shifting. Add the hard bags and do everything from commute to ride to Alaska.

Ducati looks to have a winner with the Multistrada, as it picks up where the Gran Canyon left off. I'm sure they'll sell every one. But for those of you with a budget, look for a good used Gran Canyon. You won't be dissapointed.
Dervish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 05:45 PM   #74
Van
Founding Member

I don't really care to add to the discussion concerning the Multistrada's looks. Love 'em or hate 'em, this bike and bikes in this class are all about function and they're mostly all somewhat quirky looking and the target market for this class of bike is old enough to know better anyway....

Here's my deal with this bike: Why choose this bike over either the Aprilia Tuono (standard, not the R) or the naked SV1000?

I'd wager that either of those thoroughly modern liquid cooled bikes will far outlast the Multistrada, while also requiring less (and less costly) maintenance along the way. Both bikes will also make so much more power as to be ridiculous, and in the case of the SV it's not even going to be significantly bigger or heavier.

This review states that the wind protection of the Multistrada is insufficient above 85 mph, which is also true of the Tuono and the naked SV, so there's no real advantage with the Multistrada's vestigial windscreen. Besides, the aftermarket will soon be rife with windscreen/fairing options for the naked SV, and at an msrp of only $7999 a person will have ****loads of cash left over with which to accessorize the crap out of his SV, while still maintaining a healthy $$ surplus vs the Ducati.

I suppose there's something to Buying Italian and all that, but if that's the case then the Aprilia still fits the bill and it'll positively rip the lungs out of the Ducati.

All in all, I dunno about this one. Sure, it'll be a great bike, a very useful and fun bike, of that there's little doubt. I'm just wondering: What compelling reason exists to choose it over both the Aprilia and the Suzuki, for anyone not completely married to the idea of having to buy a Ducati, and only a Ducati?

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 05:45 PM   #75
smomack
Founding Member

My math says 7.15 ft/lbs to 1 kg/m.......

I love the looks of this bike, by the way. Just way out of my price range. Dammit.
smomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:00 PM   #76
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Nope, it is not a Ducati. Pity, you only have to adjust your "strom's valves every 15K mile and you have about 20 more horsepower. Yep. It is not a Ducati.

Call me a heretic, but i would like a 916 with a TL1000 motor in it.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #77
Grappelli
Registered Member

He's an overview of most of the tires avaliable for the bike. My experience though is that the Metzlers are the best as long as you don't want to go through any serious mud. I have fallen off every time I'd hit mud roads on these tires.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:50 PM   #78
Grappelli
Registered Member

Woops.. here it is:

http://www.micapeak.com/bmw/gs/gs_tel2.html#tires
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:58 PM   #79
v2-90
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly?...Nah, I think it's rather cool actually...

Yossef mention "11K" Euro as the price of the bike, which converts to about $12,350 USD (currently). My guess is that the Multistrada is going to MSRP in the US in the 13K range - maybe something like $13,695...

Again, just a guess though...