Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-02-2003, 05:29 AM   #41
vfr101
Registered Member

Default Re: 2003 Ducati Multistrada Reader Feedback

Hasn't anyone else noticed that this thing looks a lot like the BMW R1100S?
vfr101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2003, 05:30 AM   #42
nokneedragin
Founding Member

"In reality these DP/Adventure-tourers/Everyman bikes are what most of us should be riding anyway, if we had any sense"

Since when did anyone on this site have sense?

nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 05:39 AM   #43
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly? You're crazy!

I saw the one at the motorcycle show in Long Beach, and I woiuld have to agree about the body work comment, but I didn't notice the seat thing - that may have been caused by simple wear from people sitting on it.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:00 AM   #44
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly? You're crazy!

they let people sit on it? In San Mateo it was roped off. I feel really ripped off now. No KTM booth and they didnt let us sit on the multistrada.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:21 AM   #45
Haird
Founding Member

Nice story on an intersting bike. I like the way it looks. One question: How many ft/lbs to a kg/m?
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:26 AM   #46
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

They had one at Laguna last year. In person, well, it doesn't get any better looking.

I'm sure it works and is great fun to ride. I agree that this is exactly the sort of thing that the moto world needs. Two problems:

1) "Pretty" will never, ever, be associated with it.

2) KTM is about to drop the nuke with their 950's. Game over. Please come back and play when you have a real engine.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:32 AM   #47
waepoint
Founding Member

Default mmmmmm .... naked bikes

nobody writes 'em like JB. Great CW comparo. Having just tested a Tuono, I can see why you'd ignore the questionable styling on the basis of its killer performance (although, yeah, the base model looks better than the pimped-out R). Want one. Won't pay for one.

But the Speed Triple more than halfway down the list? C'mon ... in three years, your 'dated' Triple will still be the dog's bollocks to ride and turn a few heads, whereas people will point and laugh at something like a Z1000 and snicker "that is soooooo early-millenium-Japanese-urban-hooligan-esque" ... or something like that.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:56 AM   #48
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 BS Alert!

What a load.

The Ducati 916 was pretty different. It's now considered a quintessential sportbike.

The streetfighter look of the Speed Triple is generally regarded as sw33t.

The new Buells look purty badass too.

It's not that the bike is non-conventional; see the TDM850, the Transalp, the V-Strom, the Cagiva Gran Canyon, etc. It's that it's ugly.

Newer doesn't always mean better, and the reason mfgs. stick to recipes that constantly evolve is: it works.

The designs coming out of Ducati since the 900SS changeover have been less than inspired, IMHO.

Oh, and I don't agree with your first assertion. Most people I know who ride consider themselves pretty normal on the whole.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:10 AM   #49
runner00
Founding Member

ugly is as ugly does.

Did willie g design this from his feminine side with his skirt up.

I married an italian so I know how they could actually think this is good and then also come up with the 998.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:46 AM   #50
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: 2003 BS Alert!

"What a load."

In your pants or your mouth?

"The Ducati 916 was pretty different. It's now considered a quintessential sportbike. "

Different than what? It was a sportbike.

"The streetfighter look of the Speed Triple is generally regarded as sw33t."

By all five people that actually bought one?

"The new Buells look purty badass too."

Yup, the showrooms are full of em. Two good examples of unconventional bikes that dont' sell. Next.

"It's not that the bike is non-conventional; see the TDM850, the Transalp, the V-Strom, the Cagiva Gran Canyon, etc. It's that it's ugly."

Which one of those bikes haven't been called ugly? You just proved my point. More worst seller candidates.

"Newer doesn't always mean better, and the reason mfgs. stick to recipes that constantly evolve is: it works."

No, the reason they stick to recipes is it's safe. Newer is always better. When was the last 10 year old bike that won any shootout lately? Are you proving that Harley really was right all along, or are you just full of shyt?

"The designs coming out of Ducati since the 900SS changeover have been less than inspired, IMHO."

And opinions are like a$$.... Need I continue?

"Oh, and I don't agree with your first assertion. Most people I know who ride consider themselves pretty normal on the whole."

I bet every loony in the sanitarium considers themselves normal too. What does that prove? Anyone that rides a motorcycle is automatically bucking the norm, otherwise they just would buy an SUV. In case you haven't heard, most people think motorcyclists are nuts.