Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-03-2003, 11:29 AM   #91
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: 2003 Ducati Multistrada Reader Feedback

Funny you should mention that. I have two computers, with the background being the Tuono on the desktop and the Multistrada on the laptop. One of these bikes will be my next bike. And I do think they go very much head to head.

Post Script: When checking what I had written before posting I found I'd written "next bike" as "sext bike". Freudian slip or serious problem? Answers on a postcard to...

Erotisism: Using a feather.

Fetish: Using the whole chicken.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2003, 04:09 PM   #92
JALacroix
Founding Member

Default Re: Chevy Avalanche, Cadillac Escalade EXT, Subaru Baja

M3? I certainly don't think so. I actually am somewhat attracted to the Multistrada but in no way do I see a similarity with the M3.

The M3 is a very high-output technological marvel of a car. The Multistrada...well, it is an air-cooled 80 hp 'real world' type motorcycle. The M3 (if you've ever driven one) has a kidney busting suspension and is built with outright performance as the only thing in mind.

Maybe not the Baja...but a Legacy GT perhaps. Great all-rounder but a smidge down on power.

JALacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #93
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Winkies on a Stick

It's better to have two things sticking out in the breeze than four things. Less drag is better, that's all.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:26 PM   #94
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly? You're crazy!

Ok, but please neuter one of them first.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 06:16 PM   #95
Van
Founding Member

Mikey, I specifically went out of my way to remove the aesthetic aspect of the bikes from my equation.

I said the Tuono will rip the lungs out of the Multistrada while also being every bit as Italian as the Multistrada.

I said the SV1000 will kill it on power, as well.

Your main argument reverts back to the looks of the three bikes, and looks are nothing if not subjective in the first place and by and large the Multistrada isn't going to win too many beauty contests anyway.

As for telling me to ride the air cooled Ducs, don't assume I haven't. I've ridden everything, basically. A lot. I'm a motorcycle dealer.

A Ducati's air cooled 90 degree v-twin motor doesn't feel significantly different than a similar, albeit liquid cooled, Japanese motor, except for the obvious fact that the air cooled Ducati motor first signals its protest by feeling rough and overworked before simply signing off altogether at the precise moment its Japanese or Italian liquid cooled counterpart is satisfyingly digging into another 30 or so top end ponies.

Though I know you didn't make the comparison I'd also beg to differ with those who'd compare the Multistrada with the V-Strom, Caponord, Tiger or any GS BMW. While those bikes obviously aren't serious dual purpose bikes they at least have some small off road ability, what with their long travel suspension, "adventure touring" semi knobby tires, skid plates, hand guards, etc.

The Multistrada has no off road pretentions whatsoever. It's an upright naked standard with a small fairing, period. As such it'll do battle in the Market Share Wars with the likes of the FZ1, ZRX1200, Z1000, Bandit 1200S, 919, Tuono, SV1000 and MAYBE the V-Strom.

As such it'll compete fairly well, in the handling stakes. It'll get comprehensively lunched on motor, durability, ease of ownership and value.

You can keep your air cooled Ducati v-twin, at least until you can make 'em go 100,000 miles at all, much less without expensive valve adjustments every 6,000 miles. If you can do that while also giving 'em 110 utterly reliable rear wheel ponies then hell yeah, sign me up.

Unfortunately, that'll happen right about never.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 06:19 AM   #96
Josh_1
Founding Member

if I felt confident in Ducati's reliability, and I didnt have to have the valves checked every 6K ($$ + hassle) I would be more interested (but not in the Multistrada - too quirky (i.e. Unattractive)).
Josh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:51 PM   #97
justaspeedfreak
Founding Member

Nope. Not even close. Ducati almost had me with the ST4s. Lost me on this one... I wish I wish I wish Aprilia had found a way to produce the Blue Marlin...
justaspeedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:13 PM   #98
odklr
Founding Member

"FWIW, I kinda likes it...."

A**holes or opinions?
odklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:20 PM   #99
odklr
Founding Member

Reminds me of the analogy between fat chicks and mopeds.
odklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:37 AM   #100
larsl
Founding Member

My shining red one will hopefully arrive in a couple of weeks. Since I havent had a chance of driving it yet this site got me paying right away with this scope.

The ST4S was very tempting but having past 20 about 23 years ago a more upright riding position was really appealing.

After looking at some really ugly bikes ( TDM900, V-STROM) this beauty had no problem convincing me when seeing it in real life for the first time.

larsl is offline   Reply With Quote