Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-25-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Sport Tour 2003 Feedback

Nice article. Still would have liked to see the VFR compared with the bunch. Hmmmm..where would the Honda have fallen place-wise....??
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2003, 08:43 PM   #2
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

Good test - but what about passenger accomodations?
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
F451
Founding Member

Good read. Sad to see Ducati starting to lag so far behind...time for a facelift. Aprilia needs to put away the ugly stick and redesign.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:50 PM   #4
arizonagerg
Founding Member

In MO's last review of the Aprilia in 2001 (vs Ducati) it stated the the Aprilia's range was horrendous.

So what gives? Is it better now?
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:30 PM   #5
Betamax
Founding Member

good review!

I also want to give kudos to Burns for his defense of ABS. I've been coming to the same conclusion lately, particularly after reading this article online which offers supporting evidence:

http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html

A recent test ride on a VFR convinced me of the importance of ABS...I braked successfully in a tight spot, but also I never panicked for a second because of the confidence I had in the ABS breaks...and that presence of mind in an emergency situation is priceless.

I had been looking at 600's or the SV650 as my next bike...maybe I should just go heavily into debt and get a VFR instead...hmmmmm, I'll have to think on that...
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:19 AM   #6
dardas
Founding Member

Yes, this review is seriously lacking the VFR, and I just don't think the "it's a GT rathern than an ST" excuse works considering the bikes that were tested.

Pity, cos it was a good article.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:36 AM   #7
piinob
Founding Member

Very good, thanks for the rider specs guys. The comments on ABS were indeed interesting and useful. Sound as if there are actually four winners in this comparo, depending on planned uses. Thanks again.
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 05:06 AM   #8
nweaver
Founding Member

Default No Pillion Passanger?

On bikes like this, which include "Tourer" in the name, pillion accomidations are an absolute must and should be evaluated.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 05:15 AM   #9
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Second on ABS

Doing parking lot braking from about 35 MPH with a friend (always good to practice), I locked the front wheel.

I did the right thing (released the brake, then braked again), leaving a 6 foot streak of black on the asphault and a 2 inch brown streak in my undies.

Let me tell you, there are few things spookier than feeling the bars go ABSOLUTELY dead in yoru hand. A locked front wheel will cause the steering to go totally dead. No stability from the front, no control, have a nice day.

If you are LUCKY, you will release the brake and only add about 6-10 feet of stopping distance which hopefully won't be so much that you smack into the left-turning H2 which has decided to block your path.

If you are unlucky, you just lossed all steering and >1/2 your stability, and you will be tasting asphault in about a second as the front wheel slides under the bike.

In a panic situation, you don't want to have to worry about the gravel, the oil patches, or anything else. You want the bike to just stop. Reverse thrust, fire the retros, throw out the anchor STOP. And the only way to get that is ABS.

Yes, under perfect conditions a good rider can outbreak ABS by about 1%. On bad conditions, the ABS wins. When you include that ABS is designed for when even the good rider doesn't have time to think, there is no question.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 05:51 AM   #10
cycleguy26
Founding Member

I rode my Sprint ST from Houston to Wilmington, NC and back this past January. Besides being cold, I remained comfortable the whole way. I took backroads up to Texarkana and then backroads all the way across Arkansas, Tennesse, and North Carolina. I especially enjoyed the Lookout Mountain area. I used the hard top-mount box and soft saddlebags and tankbag. All the extra luggage dropped me about 8 mpg in fuel mileage.

My wife rides on the back sometimes and says it's comfortable, especially with the top-box on the back. Triumph sells a back pad to place on it. This way your passenger has something to lean back on. For my wife, it provides both comfort and confidence that she ain't gonna fall off the back.

Anyway, good article. The Triumph has seemed to be the perfect compromise for me, especially when money is an issue. But I have never felt like the bike has let me down in any department. And though I enjoy riding twisty badkroads with my friends, I always feel as though I have to work harder. Reading your article has me thinking about the Futura. It seems to do everything the Triumph does, but does better in the twisties. Maybe it's time for a new bike.