Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-27-2003, 06:54 AM   #61
rmenk
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Sport Tour 2003 Feedback

"You gotta have a $500 deposit down by the 30th to reserve one. Do not ask us why, we know not."

You should know. That's the business your in. The reason is that Yamaha may not want a bunch of expensive iron sitting unsold on dealer's showroom floors. Duh....

The sport touring market lags well behind the other categories and future sales of this machine are at best uncertain. There is some tough competion in this segment and the FJR1300 is hardly a household word in the USA. The machine has a tiny niche in the marketplace and sales depend not on jaded motojournalist's praise but rather on macroeconomic conditions and perceived value. Take a look at bmwrt.com to see what constitutes intelligent dialogue with regard to the sport touring market generally and BMW's place within that market specifically. There is no equivalent FJR1300 website where experienced professionals exchange constructive criticisms of bikes to the ultimate benefit of us all. Maybe if - and only if - the FJR1300 is successful in the marketplace will the motorcycling public feel the FJR is a safe, proven bike rather than a work in progress in need on continued modification.

rmenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2003, 07:19 AM   #62
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'm going to print your comments and put them in my tankbag to show the guys at the burger barn!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 08:42 AM   #63
cota
Registered Member

Sick of sportbike and cruiser reviews? I guess your right, ages ago there were reviews for commuter bikes, value bikes, standard bikes, dual sports, etc, etc,,,. I liked that because they provided real information for the type of bikes I've actually purchased. It's fun to read about sportbikes, but personally they've always turned out too narrowly focused for my 30+ years of riding, the cruisers just aren't my style. I'd suspect the market for the UJM is still alive and although not so exciting, the potential customers would like to see the data. How about a poor MORon's track bike article, bike that can be stripped down, beefed up, and be respectable on a budget?

Not too many years ago I read an article by Mr. Burns that characterized the Bandit 1200 as the "worlds fastest couch", that statement along with the wind protection, range, performance and reliability statements really helped me make what I consider a good selection. Thanks! Next year, at about 40K miles I'll be looking for an article, in a class of bikes I'd really consider, be looking for that kind of information again. Here's to the hope for someone to write those more general motorcycle buyer oriented articles.

Cota
cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:15 AM   #64
rags23
Registered Member

JB,

there is no review or first ride of the r1150rt on MO that I could find... with the k12kRS review, you mentioned that you will be testing it with others in the same category, but I understand that you have made up your mind that the FJR is the best in the bunch...

so you took a GSXR1k to the 600 shootout, without the kawi-zx6r (VFR in this case) and then concluded it to be the winner ? great...

what's next? Naked bike shootout with bandit 600/sv-650, speed-4, ducati baby monster, zx-7 & the FZ-1/Tuono-R (note that I didn't mention the Honda cb750 since 'you won't get it')?
rags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:38 AM   #65
Ow595
Registered Member

I just want to second that remark.

Love the videos, more the better but please muffel the wind noise. You can usually mount a remote mic to most video systems. Place the mic on the rear behind the rider. Blocks the wind and we can hear the bike better.

Or surround the mic with a chuck of foam (If done this too and works great)

Otherwise great!

Thanks,

William Ow

Santa Cruz, Ca
Ow595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:16 PM   #66
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Sure enough. Our 5th (and 6th, 7th 8th 9th.....) test rider hated BMW (or Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki) so much, that they decided to not show up for the test, so that we were forced to leave the BMW (or was it Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki?) behind, so it finished so far behind that we didn't even bother to write about it in this test. Keep up the good detective work, and Oliver Stone will be calling you any day.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:37 PM   #67
designeraccd
Founding Member

Default Re: FJR Heat Problem?

I just returned from a lil 2 day ride home on my FJR. Yesterday, as I cleared the Loop in Chicago, a sign said it was 47F. A bit over a hour later a similar sign near downtown Milwaukee showed 44F. I would have been to lightly dressed except that I was on the FJR. With only leather chaps on over my heavy boots, my Gerbing jacket liner (under a heavy H-D sweatshirt, under my Belstaff (without liner) and my Gerbing gloves I was fairly comfy...well a bit on the cool side of real comfy! I did not have the electrics at full blast tho. Coming back today I turned the juice off at the Highland House, but kept everything on. By the time I reached South Bend, IN...the windshield was lowered, too. On the few 70+ degree days we have had I can definately feel the heat coming from the engine...much more noticeable than it was on my ZX12R.

Despite that, I am really beginning to like the bike a lot: good power, handling and brakes. Reasonable (compared to the GL1800 I traded for the FJR) comfort with the opt. Corbin built saddle, Gen-Mar bar risers and opt Yamaha windshield. Did I mention decent power and handling??? LOL Turned over the 3K mark on the way home today. Regards...DFO
Old 04-27-2003, 01:02 PM   #68
john
Founding Member

from sitting on it, the zzr was quite similar to the busa or blackbird.......the zzr really is closer to those bikes then these.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:31 PM   #69
r1derbike
Founding Member

Chain-driven semi-sportbikes with bags really shouldn't be compared to shaft-drive sport-tourers (or super sport-tourers) as has been noted earlier. The industry needs to separate them when comparos are penned. Mechanically similar bikes lumped in several classes should do it. No cheating by throwing some bags on GT-class mounts like the XX, ZX-12, or Hayabusa.

The buying public is so well informed because of the internet, one's choice of motorcycle usually follows a lengthy research period; the buyer knows damn straight what he wants, and what he is getting these days. Buyers go to a dealership knowing more about the motorcycle he or she is buying than even the sales staff of the dealer.

Buy what you want...to hell with anything else!

BTW, the FJR just rocks!

Outta here...Charles

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja (other pics too).

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...A0B19C25C12&cb
\'00 RWB R1 #34...\'cuz there can only be THE ONE.
\'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha\' of all modern sportbikes.
\'03 FJR 1300...\'cuz ya\' gotta keep HER happy.
Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.
http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19
r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:47 PM   #70
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: I guess I am not ready for this crowd.

Dear Dip Sh!t,

Please read the second sentence:

"There's no substitute for "low-end" grunt".

Now go out and wind-her-up all-the-way, then let her go into on coming traffic. Have someone record the numbers when you hit and post them here at MO.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote