Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-27-2003, 03:13 AM   #51
DialedIN
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Sport Tour 2003 Feedback

Maybe its just because I am a Kawasaki fan, but I really feel the ZZR-1200 should have been included in this test. MO you say its more GT than ST, but Yamaha calls the FJR a "supersport tourer". Wheres the line between supersport and GT ? The bags that Kawasaki sells for the ZZR are giviugly, but the corbin beetle bags are really awesome looking on it. Yamaha should have used a 6 speed gear box in the FJR that sweet motor is spinning almost 5,000 RPM at highway speeds. Thats great for being in the meat of the power, but a over drive 6th would be nice for the long haul.
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2003, 03:25 AM   #52
wfowade
Founding Member

Default Re: I guess I am not ready for this crowd.

As to this comparison you really should look carefully at the twin numbers. Note the significant difference between the Mille and the RC 51 for example. The twins are dealt a somewhat bad hand by overly tall gearing and other requirements to meet EPA requirements. Give the RC reasonable gearing and remove the flapper intake valve and it's much closer to a I-4 of similar displacement.

Some good things are just much more subjective than objective-beauty and intelligence are just two examples. But as to the V-twin vs I-4 raging debate, let me say this as I have both: Some virtues of the V-twin just don't carry over to a drag race time slip or even race results. The V-twin RC51 gives similar urge, below the 8,000 rpm range, as your vaunted GSXR 1K but it does it very differently. While I enjoy my R1 and agree that in mostly stock form it makes a better track bike, I think the engine in the RC makes a better street bike choice (not addressing ergo's here). The twin is just less tedious to ride.

And finally, you can go fast on a twin. Just ask Mat Miladin-he finished well behind three of 'em at Daytona.

I just hope that Honda will use the RC motor-without detuning or "retuning" it for midrange torque as a replacement or an alternative for the VFR

wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 03:51 AM   #53
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

i may not really know a whole lot about bikes, like some of the rest of you seem to, being that bikes are what i do for a living and all, but i do know that the twin lump on my SV1000 is quite nice on the street.

maybe my opinion has something to do with the fact that i don't race...
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 04:40 AM   #54
ssss
Founding Member

Default VFR missing

Agreed, VFR is certainly missing. MO should make peace with Honda.

ssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 04:44 AM   #55
sarnali
Founding Member

Maybe it's the lack of standard bags on the VFR and ZZR that keep them out, I'm surprised at not having any BMW's represented. Maybe MO needs to do a sport- tourer's- that- are- more- touring- than- sport artical. My vote would be a Trophy 1200, K1200 and ST 1300 test, I'm curious what MO thinks of the Triumph because I'm thinking of buying one.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:02 AM   #56
rvfrules
Founding Member

I love seeing football humping sportbike riders on the highway, doing their best "man in a gale" impersonation at 85mph. Meanwhile, I come cruising by on my 80hp R1100GS at 100mph, feet splayed out La-Z-Boy style on the engine guards, visor open thanks to the great wind protection..... And I give a smug chuckle as I think about which bike is really faster in the real world. Bwahahahahahahaha.......
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:03 AM   #57
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default A dork in true Kpaul fashion

Ha ha ha ha! I was right! You nerds carry magazine statistics in your tank bags.l

Sport-touring riders like myself who are interested in these types of bikes carry MAPS in our tankbags.

Repeat this chant 5 times for good luck....

OWA TADOR KYAM
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:09 AM   #58
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm sure everyone has their favorite in this catagory, as "sport-touring" is a broad definition. Do you like more "sport" or more "tour"? That makes a big difference on what you will choose. I have ridden all these bikes 'cept the Yamaha. If Yamaha thinks I would plunk down 12 large on a bike I can't test ride, they need to smoke a different filler. I don't care who says what about a bike, I want a ride on it myself, and I'll make the decision after that, thanks. Since when did Yamaha worry so much about resale value? Gimme a brake on that lame excuse. Maybe I can mug the one guy I see riding an FJ around and give his a whirl. I really liked the Aprilia in this bunch also. It has a sporty feel without the pain, and a wide powerband that makes shifting an option. The styling is nicer in person that in pics. It would be my choice for 1up touring. Basically, it all comes down to what feels best for the individual. There are no track times or drag-strip runs here. The MO staff gave us a good flavor of what each bike is about, but that flavor may lead to a bitter taste if the buyer doesn't judge for himself. I can't tell you how many bikes I really wanted to like, but couldn't live with after a real ride. Another job well done and damn hard work too, from the MO staff
Old 04-27-2003, 05:36 AM   #59
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Re: No Pillion Passanger?

Agreed.

To make it more interesting for us readers, get a 27 year old blonde with a beautiful heart shaped ass and have her ride pillion and evaluate. Take lots of wallpaper size rear end shots
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:52 AM   #60
rruspini
Founding Member

Who'd a thunk it. Replace the Duc with the VFR and you would be looking at all of the contenders in my recent search! Good for you MO, having narrowed it down to the Futura & FJR it came down to preferences. Ultimately it was "real world" comfort & performance and a recent experience where I locked up my Honda's rear wheel nearly ended up as cargo in the back of a garbage truck that convinced me to plop down the $500 commitment package on the FJR w/ABS. Thanks for confirming my choice!
rruspini is offline   Reply With Quote