Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-26-2003, 04:30 PM   #41
Pacer
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Sport Tour 2003 Feedback

Would the ZZR1200 fit here? I haven't ridden these sport tours, but I have ridden the ZZR. It felt like it could hang with this crowd minus the luggage.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2003, 05:04 PM   #42
Vlad
Registered Member

Good article. The fact of the matter is that the current battery of sport tourers is so good, the real answers lie in this type of testing more than in the sport bike wankers testing of dyno charts, torque tables, and lap times arround some track.

However, it should be remembered that the Triumph Sprint was built to copy the VFR. In fact, while it was being designed the joke internal designation for it was TFR. Bike magazine included the VFR in a test against the Aprilia Futura. Their reluctant conclusion is that the VFR is still the best sport-tourer in the world.

All that said, I would be interested in sitting on the Yamaha. With my short legs, I would like to know how low that puppy really is.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 05:20 PM   #43
nitrofly
Founding Member

Good comparo but I think you guys should have done the test with a pillion on all the bikes. Most ST bikes see a lot of 2up duty...although it hardly matters because the Futura would still have won hands down.

The Futura has the comfort of the FJR...but hangs with the gixxers...imagine that! Fortunately for me I don't have to.

BatGirl
Old 04-26-2003, 07:14 PM   #44
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Re: I guess I am not ready for this crowd.

What sort of torque monster V-twin are you riding? I've test driven a few sporty V-twins and run my GSXR beside them and the GSXR just walks away in top gear roll-on comparisons. Who's got more torque? If you want some hard numbers check at the back of Motorcyclist magazine. They keep stats on the time it takes a bike to accelerate from 60 to 80 mph. Here's a few samples.

Honda RC51 4.94 seconds

Honda VTR1000F 5.00 seconds

Suzuki TL1000S 4.61 seconds

Suzuki TL1000R 4.30 seconds

Ducati 996 5.35 seconds

Ducati Monster S4 4.11 seconds

Ducati Supersport 900 5.61 seconds

Aprilia RSV Mille 3.35 seconds

Aprilia SL1000 4.56 seconds

Now how about a few of those torque deficient inline fours?

Honda CBR929RR 2.98 seconds

Suzuki GSXR1000 2.62 seconds

Kawasaki ZX9R 3.18 seconds

Yamaha YZF R1 2.82 seconds

Oh, and by the way, the '01 Honda CBR600 runs right with the torque monster V-twins with a time of 4.12 seconds.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:45 PM   #45
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Stop! Don't go there!

My work is done here thank you
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:51 PM   #46
KPaulCook
Banned

Default GSXRWOLF don't confuse these guys with facts and data.

They flunked math. You see now that the AMA has removed the 250 cc advantage V-Twins had over inline 4s in Superbike, these guys are having trouble proving that V-Twins have a real-world torqe advantage. Just think in their eyes a Ducati 748 is faster than the GSXR750. In their Harley heads, the Ducati 998 is faster than the GSXR1000. You and I both know that without the cc advantage V-Twins are a dying breed in road racing.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:58 PM   #47
rmenk
Founding Member

The BMW R1150RT should have been included. It's omission suggests a continued bias against BMW bikes at MO. Why? Talk to me...
rmenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:00 PM   #48
KPaulCook
Banned

Default VFR Rules I'ts the future Twin-heads, get used to it.

Given Cycle World's and Bike's reviews on STs, I think the Honda VFR would blow all these bikes away. Too bad MOrons will never know. Of course you V-Twins fans could never handle the truth anyway. (Jack N voice). Put a Triple in the Futura an you got a nice package. V-4 in the ST-4 becomes an instant sales winner. I'ts the future Twin-heads, get used to it.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:06 PM   #49
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Time and place for ABS and the VFR rules.

VFR will be my next bike but I am going to wait for the next model change. By then my Ninja will be old. But on a rainy day in Seattle, or BC as well, when a lady talking on cell phone pulls in front of you with as SUV, hitting the brakes on a bike with ABS would be a great safety advantage. By the way VFR does have one of the highest resale values of any sport bike.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:38 PM   #50
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Re: GSXRWOLF don't confuse these guys with facts and data.

Right you are KPaul. I've got an aquaintance with an RC51. He's been so smug about the RC51 winning AMA Superbike and World Superbike last year. Fact is, the only people that can build a competive RC51 are HRC. If the RC51 was a good start for a superbike the privateers would be riding them. Check out the grid of an AMA Superbike race. See any RC51's beside the factory bikes? Nope. How about Aprilia's? Nope. How about Ducati's? A couple. And even with their vast experience and success with the V-twin, what does Ducati build to race in MotoGP? A V-four!!

Anyways, I like to carry around a photcopy sheet of those "hard numbers" with me and when I hear the tired old whine about the V-twin's superior torque, I drag out my sheet and start spooling off the numbers. Then, if they want to, we head for the open road and I give them a little demonstration.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote