Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-26-2003, 01:00 PM   #31
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: I guess I am not ready for this crowd.

With KP the explanation is simple; Harley has a V-Twin and its "Price to Performance Ratio" is unacceptable. So every V-Twin on the planet is of the same character. Same motor just different chassis no matter who makes it, water-cooled or not. Performance orientated or cruiser makes no difference, its all lies in his eyes. Yet I believe an 883 is the only twin he has ever ridden. With extensive motorcycle knowledge like that who wouldnt listen to him?

Now speaking of twins, MO when are you going to get your hands on a KTM Adventure 950??? Inquiring minds want to know!!!
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2003, 01:28 PM   #32
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Stop! Don't go there!

Please don't ask for any of KPaul's explanations. He knows not of what he speaks. He probably thinks your Aprilia has a vibration problem.

Don't get sucked into any attempt at logical reasoning with him. You've been warned.......
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 01:31 PM   #33
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Sport Tour 2003 Feedback

This test comes at a good time for me because I'm in the market for a new touring/crappy weather bike. I've pretty well narrowed it down to a new Trophy 1200, mainly because I like the total package, For me an ST4 is too spendy to buy and maintian. New ST2's might be hard to find anymore. I love HD's but the T-sport is spendy and I don't like playing games trying to get one at MSRP. The ST1300 Honda doesn't really grab me. And I already had a VFR. My house re-fi thats paying for the bike isn't going to close till mid May so I don't want to pay a deposit on FJR and have to back out if there's a problem. That leaves the Sprint and the Trophy, I already have a sporty toury bike with my Bandit so,,,,looks like the Trophy is it. Plus since the weather up here blows 8 mos. out of the year the bigger fairing will be cool. Nice reveiw on the FJR, I just don't know if my timing would work with it. And really I just like the Trophy better.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 01:34 PM   #34
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: One thing that's wrong...

I don't mind seeing tests with performance enhancing goodies on the bikes because most of us will add those anyway.

The ST4s is notorious for being geared way too tall (I believe to pass Euro noise regulations). Most owners drop a tooth on the countershaft sprocket immediately and the bike really wakes up.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 02:22 PM   #35
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Re: I guess I am not ready for this crowd.

I test-rode a KTM 950 Adventure yesterday. The clutch and throttle action is very light, and the handlebar position is comfortably close. Low end power is decent but this motor loves to rev -- spin it past 6 grand and it really starts to haul the coals. And it feels like a featherweight compared to my 1100gs. Even at a walking pace it feels lithe and light, and at higher speeds you can fling it about like a motard. The firm suspension is top shelf. I have a feeling even hardcore offroad guys won't feel the need to do any upgrades. The seat is hard, but it's wide and has plenty of room for a passenger.

The downsides? It's not a bike for short arses. Even with my 30" inseam, I can comfortable ride my GS with the seat in the high position, but the KTM left my legs dangling in the air. And adding a passenger didn't make a difference. A 10 minute ride through city traffic with temps in the 70s had the fan kicking in constantly. And then there's the price. For an armchair adventurer like me, it's too high for this barebones bike. But those who want bike that can be pounded hard offroad and still cruise interstates will probably won't mind ponying up the bucks.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 02:47 PM   #36
F451
Founding Member

You might want to speak with your dealer as the FJR doesn't sit on the floor and my son tells me that others quickly step in when others leave their position. The deposit is refundable at my son's store, but he just got off the telephone with me and said that there are always several buyers who missed the deadline looking for people backing out to take their place. However, each dealer might be different and you need only look at the fine print that your dealer will have you sign before laying out $500. Here is Yamaha's basic terms (without the fine print):

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products...promo-mcy.html

Also, each state has different consumer rights and laws and your state might forbid "nonrefundable" funds, entitling you to all your money back.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 03:18 PM   #37
runner00
Founding Member

Great article and very well written. I too wanted to get that aprilla but when I saw the george jetson futurist design it completely turned me off. Looks like it was made for batgirl. Thats too bad because I'm partial to v twins. These are all good bikes when you compare to everything else out there.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 03:26 PM   #38
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

- Passenger comfort and wind protection does matter on any type of touring bike.

- While I'm sure that Ducati, Aprillia, and Triumph parts are widely available at every gas station in California.....I wouldn't want to get too far from civilization on them anywhere else.

- I think BMW is the gold standard in this category but it is just as well you did not include it because you would have knocked it for being heavy and slow (but you would have fought for it when the weather was less than perfect).
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 03:46 PM   #39
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Second on ABS

Exactly. Any control intervention that saves us from panic reaction without preventing us from doing it ourself is justified, that is worth the money.

Purists may risk their nether parts, but they shouldn't criticise the prudent among us.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 03:49 PM   #40
jmeyn
Founding Member

Don't forget belts! No class, but they work great!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote