Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-26-2003, 09:27 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Sport Tour 2003 Feedback

Thank you Bob for saying things so much more diplomatically than I ever could. I've got many 500-600 mile days under my belt on my ST4 and have had no problems whatsoever. The Sargent seat and helibars made it all day comfortable.

On a recent trip up to Monterey my friend and I were pulled over near that crazy bridge on highway 1 next to a dozen ST1100 riders who immediately came over to check out the Ducati. I had to sit there and rev the throttle just so they could listen to it. I eased down the road with a wheelie and a wave as I left.

Later at the entrance to the Hearst Castle, a Japanese tourist came running up to me and asked if he could take a picture next to my bike because Ducatis were his favorite. I'm sure that one would have left KP speechless.

I'm a huge admirer of Eagan who I believe recently set a NY to SF record.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2003, 09:43 AM   #22
Yamahanian
Founding Member

Default Re: FJR Heat Problem?

One of the knocks against the FJR is that its engine generates a LOT of heat. You may have appreciated this warmth during the snow storm, but I wouldn't want to experience it while waiting for a light in full leathers in D.C. in mid-August. This heat problem, if it exists, would be particularly irritating since you have to order the bike without having an opportunity to test ride it. So whats the deal with the heat, JB?
Yamahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:45 AM   #23
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Sport Tour 2003 Feedback

Theoretically you have a point. Practically, what if we've already ridden the R1150RT, K1200GT, ST1300, Triumph Trophy and Concours enough to know the FJR would make wasabe out of all of them, no contest?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:50 AM   #24
johnnyb
Founding Member

I give up. what is the deal? I'm not feeling it myself, and have ridden the FJR on hot days in stop and go traffic too. Are you thinking of the ST1300, now with new/improved insulation according to Honda?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:56 AM   #25
Yamahanian
Founding Member

No, I meant the FJR. I've read a few posts on an FRJ owners website about excessive heat and some home-grown attempts to alleviate the (alleged) problem. I understand all engines generate heat, but I really hate to buy a motorcycle on faith. Can anybody else confirm/deny the excessive heat shots against the FJR?
Yamahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:45 AM   #26
KPaulCook
Banned

Default I guess I am not ready for this crowd.

Nice review love the pictures. The closest thing I would get to these bikes is a VFR. I am suprised that the Ducati is included but the VFR is not. Ooops I remember why now. The Aprilia is a cool bike but it has that V-Twin thing going against it. 60 degree with counterbalancers ouch. The Yamaha seems large to me.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:05 AM   #27
F451
Founding Member

Yes, this is a concern, but it is not as hot as the ST1300. Honda is still trying to deal with the heat issue. Depending on where you live this might not be an issue at all, but if you are dealing with severe stop-n-go traffic, then you might want to speak and maybe ride one owned by someone else (if they are amenable). But all of this set aside the last day to put down your $500 is coming up for this year's models. My son works at a motorcycle dealership and they have had no complaints with with FJR1300 customers. Customers have backed out of ST1300 deals after reading talking to some other ST1300 owners.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:21 AM   #28
FalcoSC
Founding Member

Default Re: I guess I am not ready for this crowd.

I suppose you have ridden the Aprilia Mille, Falco, Tuono or Futura and thus have first hand knowledge upon which your negative bias of the V-twin is based. Please enlighten us so that we will know why I-4's or other configurations are superior.
FalcoSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:31 AM   #29
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Re-read the end Bob

Thats only if you listen to Burns.......the consensus was the Aprilia
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:58 AM   #30
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: I guess I am not ready for this crowd.

Personally, I love the torque that only a v-twin can deliver. There's no substitute for low-end grunt.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote