Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-08-2003, 04:01 PM   #171
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Yammie won by a massive margin

uh...'cept the Yamaha weights 80+ lbs. more than the next heaviest bike....so it has no hp-to-weight advantage and the torque-to-weight advantage is far less impressive than the raw numbers (though 96 ft-lbs is still impressive)

plus, bigger, heavier and wider are disadvantages in CA, where lane sharing prowess is an important feature for any bike.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2003, 04:26 AM   #172
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Re: I guess I am not ready for this crowd.

Sure those twins are fast..... if they're factory supported bikes. If the RC51 is such a great starting point for a race bike, why wasn't the grid full of them? Why don't the RC51's kick some butt in Formula Extreme? Because off the showroom floor, they suck, and no privateer effort has the money, or skills to build a competitive RC51.

As far as Matt Mladin goes, it doesn't look like he had much trouble with the 3 Honda guys at Fontana or Infideon.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 04:39 AM   #173
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Re: A dork in true Kpaul fashion

No, I don't carry stats in my tank bag, I carry them in my jacket pocket so the info is handy for whenever I run into an uneducated v-twin guy. Don't forget I also offer "on-the road" training to the uneducated v-twin riders. Just another public service from your humble servant, GSXRwolf.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 05:42 PM   #174
longsnowsm
Registered Member

Default Re: Futura Mileage - Excused?

I was wondering the same thing on the fuel economy. I like the way the bike looks and was interested in what I have been reading about it. Went down to the local dealer yesterday to see one in person. Looks really sharp... The little sign on the bike said "Do not sit on the bike"... Dang I hate when I don't see those things until I am already on the bike... Felt good... But this gas mileage thing would definately take it off of my ST list.

The bottom of the shootout lists the bike as getting 44mpg. So what is the skinny? Is the 44mpg a figure from Aprilia or actual observed mileage?
longsnowsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:56 AM   #175
Concours1995
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Sport Tour 2003 Feedback

OK Some one has to ask. Why did you not include the brand new for 1986 Kawasaki, ZG1000, AKA CONCOURS? It is still a respectable performer that tours well and can be had brand new for less then $9000.00 now that is Bang for the Buck!

Great read!

Yes, I own a connie.

Steve
Concours1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:08 PM   #176
deerhunter
Founding Member

Thanks for going first. MO last rode a Connie in 1996, seven years ago. One would think that the current, possibly wiser staff would give it another go. Having put a whopping 1200 miles on my new 2003, I feel qualified to comment.

Let's see now...

Cons:

1986 design, updated in 1996 (design still ain't broke).

No dammed computers (fix it yourself)

Price tag of under $8000 (will make you look like a cheapskate).

Pros:

Ride 250 miles between gas stops

Great protection by the fairing and windshield.

Good handling.

Plenty of power.

Comfortable seat.

Full-face-helmet capacity hard luggage that is not painted so you don't have to worry about it.

I could go on, but writing this review is your job, MO staff. How 'bout it?
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:30 PM   #177
mattlyxr
Founding Member

I forked up my $11.95 to read a review of the bike I already bought, the Sprint ST. Everything in the review is true. It may not be the best in any category, but it is good to great in every category. It definitely transmits a surplus of heat to the rider's personal area, not a bad thing in winter, but not a great thing in mid-summer in mid-California. It may be shor on power compared to the FJR, but there is still plenty there, and when you take into account the lighter weight and more sport oriented riding position the Sprint more than makes it up.

The VFR certainly belongs in any sport-touring test that includes the ST and Aprilia. The FJR should be tested with the Honda ST1300, Kawi Concours and BMW R1150RT.
mattlyxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 05:57 AM   #178
NorseThunderGod
Founding Member

Default Great Review: Going through this decision as we speak...

Having been the owner of a 1993 GTS1000, all I can say is that I have high expectations from my sport-tour bike.

Ive narrowed it down to the 2005 FJR1300 ABS, and the 2004 Sprint ST.

Now the trouble begins, making the decision.

Im leaning toward the FJR1300, for only 3K more you get shaftdrive, ABS and an electric windshield. I could buy the Sprint ST today however...and ride home.

Im used to a heavy bike, the GTS was close to 600lbs. I need to testdrive these bikes....but the FJR is nearly impossible to find.
NorseThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 05:41 PM   #179
slenk
Founding Member

Hello,

Please provide some insight on how effectively the ABS functions on bikes that have it.

Jeff Dean, for example, has an interesting discussion on specific ABS functionality while turning and braking on a sandy surface.

I'm curious how effective any given implementation is in real world circumstances.

Perhaps you could try full power braking on a wet or loose surface, and braking on a turn with sand or water and see if the ABS allows a safe turn to be made.

Safety first, of course, but I figure that if ABS saves your bike or body even once, its got to be worth a reasonable cost.

BTW, I thought the review on the Multistrada was on the button, as I had one to ride for several weeks. It changed my view of motorcycling.

Thanks, Steve
slenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:08 AM   #180
bmuhlenk
Founding Member

Default Re: Futura Mileage - Excused?

"The bottom of the shootout lists the bike as getting 44mpg. So what is the skinny? Is the 44mpg a figure from Aprilia or actual observed mileage?"

I have 5000+ miles on a stock '03 Futura and regularly get 42+ mpg.
bmuhlenk is offline   Reply With Quote