Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-28-2003, 06:40 AM   #101
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Sport Tour 2003 Feedback

I do find it ridiculous, however, that Honda charges $1000 for Goldwing ABS when they can offer it for $500 on a scooter...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2003, 07:31 AM   #102
jonxert
Founding Member

Default Ha, your all hypocrites! (MO staff I mean)

Ah ha, I have caught you guys in a bold faced lie. If I may quote you from the 2002 open class street review, I'll call this exibit A: "I suppose that's the important thing, and in fact now that we've stumbled onto that topic, let me say this: the street is not a racetrack, and while we at MO do enjoy a spirited romp, we are not about trying to pass each other, and stuff each other, ever, on the street. Any of these three bikes are easily capable of velocities well beyond what's safe on roads filled with blind corners and sand traps and cows, and so what we're really talking about is really NOT the fastest bike as much as the bike that can run at our chosen pace with the most grace and the greatest margin for error--while taxing its rider the least."

Exibit B is simply the rain passing video you have posted in this article. This video shows one of you passing other bikes at high speeds in a rain storm against on-coming traffic. For shame. Now I'm all for ridding fast on the street, but I draw the line at passing other motorcyclists on twisty roads (nudge nudge, wink wink). And now I shall gloat and scoff at you. Ok, I'm done. Nice Magizine, well worth my 12 bucks, bla bla, thanks.
jonxert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:33 AM   #103
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: VFR Rules I'ts the future Twin-heads, get used to it.

Don't forget Motorcyclist as well. Maybe it is the best bike.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:35 AM   #104
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Time and place for ABS and the VFR rules.

Huh? The VFR has an excellent price/performance ratio compared to your Harley.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:49 AM   #105
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Time and place for ABS and the VFR rules.

1- I don't own a Harley.

2- The VFR has a pisspoor cost/performance ratio compared to an R1 or GSXR-1000.

So why are you violating your own self-imposed requirement?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:57 AM   #106
seruzawa
The Toad

Whoops, you're right, I only checked the ST for the upgrade. BMW's $2,200 for ABs on the R bikes is a bit over-the-top. Especially when you get it on the F650 for $500.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:07 AM   #107
nweaver
Founding Member

Default However, the R1/GSXR...

Doesn't have factory available luggage.

Isn't designed to be comfortable for one, let alone two.

Doesn't have available ABS, 210 WATTS of high-beams to illuminate your path, etc etc etc.

The VFR is a compromise bike: it's not as agressive as a pure sportsbike and compared on cost/performance with a 1L I4 it will get creamed. But the VFR is not going to get blown over when your mountain road has crosswinds, it won't headshake or gripe when the pavement turns crappy, be a big pain in the wrist, have a passenger griping in pain, etc etc etc.

Also, the comparable bikes to the VFR were all on test: The ST4s, the Sprint ST, and the Futura were all built to target/beat the RC46/VFR800i (1998-2001) VFR as a "do anything" bike, and ALL attacked the biggest weakness of the 1998-2001 VFR, a lack of factory luggage.

MO really should patch things up with Honda, because without Big Red in some of these comparisons, things look weak.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:19 AM   #108
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

I've heard it said that Honda's target bike for the VFR is the Aprilia Futura. I'm thinking it would have compared very favorably in this test. Probably would have won.

How long can MO go without including Hondas in it's tests? They better start begging for forgiveness!

Ride red!

'01 VFR
BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:28 AM   #109
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: However, the R1/GSXR...

I agree with you 100%.

However it was KPaul who started this cost/performance ratio crap as the only measure of motorcycle buying intelligence. Therefore I can't understand why he is not buying the bike with the most bhp/ccs and most cutting edge suspension, etc etc etc.

After all by his own set of standards he is edging ever more closer to joining the dreaded Grey-Ponytailed Brotherhood(tm).
Old 04-28-2003, 09:36 AM   #110
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Geez MO, you could have borrowed my VFR.

You got my email. Now of course.........

you will have to let me ride a loaner bike.

What ya got now?
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote