Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-22-2003, 09:17 AM   #1
Sean_Burke
Founding Member

Default Re: JB's Mental Breakdown: Mechanical Nightmare #3,621

There is a time when the admirable thing to do is to admit defeat and pay a professional to restore domestic tranquility.

At least it wasn't an Alfa Romeo. Good luck running down to the dealer to source a missing widget.
Sean_Burke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2003, 09:26 AM   #2
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

LOL

Were you following the directions in the Hayes manual for this project? Do whatever you have to do to get rid of this piece and buy any model Jeep or Honda vehicle. They are reliable and dead-simple to work on. A Honda, in fact, can be almost entirely dissasembled piece-by-piece with a phillips screwdriver, a socket wrench, and 10 and 12mm sockets.

I can't put my finger on it but there's got to be some kind of cultural difference between German and American common-sense engineering. American cars are easy in my opinion, and I'm sure Germans think their cars are logically assembled, but there's a crossing of wires somewhere between the two.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
rsheidler
Founding Member

Good Stuff, Burns!

Now I see why you have been ignoring our repeated requests for an update on the head bolts -- you were working on this story. Well worth the wait.

The story reminds me a lot of my misguided attempt to work on an old Alfa Romeo Gulietta Spider. Every time I turned around, I encountered some odball tool requirement or something that was done totally differently from anything else I had ever seen. As I recall, the ending was not so different either -- except in my case, the car just sat parked on the street until someone called to offer to buy it and my wife insisted I take the ridiculous offer, just to get the damned thing out of there.

Just to show that I am a slow learner, I bought 2 Fiats and a Ducati since then!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:32 AM   #4
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

There there, Johnny, you put up a brilliant effort...

But it was you against a thousand German engineers who were bolstered by innumerable mercenary marketeers and salespeople.

Sure you could've licked any one of them - hell, any ten of them. But all of them?

Oh well, you've gained some character out of the deal. Now get on your bike and ride!

...and while you're riding, how about a naked bike shootout?
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I always have the 20 lb sledge handy in case the other tools and me mess up the job sufficiently. Damn sounds like one of my projects, where you want to cry and smash the living crap out of the vehicle at the same time. JB I feel your pain.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
caderider
Registered Member

Gotta love the 'Percussive Maintenance Implement" - the good ol' fix-it hammer! It'll make your intermittent problem no longer intermittent!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:09 AM   #7
theDuke
Founding Member

I used to carry a big rock in the trunk of my MG to "unstick" the start bendix that randomly decided to freeze whenever I was in a hurry to get somewhere. On a car that simple, a hammer would be overkill... except to take off the wheels, that is.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:15 AM   #8
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: I love that moment

Where you realize you've just gotten way too deep into a mechanical project and it's too late to turn back...frustration and distemper rolled into one.

Really I love it.

Sure do.

Yep.

It's why God invented alcohol. For me at least...
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:16 AM   #9
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: BTW

Acetylene. C2H2.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:21 AM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

Been there bought a Honda afterward. My Dad still loves to fiddle and is patient with his fine GM products. Like Longride he works on everything he can. He remembers fondly his 67 Impala. Simple and sweet. Although he was going to get a BMW but Mom talked him out of it. Never to generalize I say that American products are simpler but cheap, have poor fit and finish, and have inferior designs sometimes. But look cool. German products are overengineered . Japanese cars and motorcycles are the best thing that happened to the world in the 20th Century. Never buy a Beemer or Benz when you can buy an Accura. My Accura Integra had 130,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. 0 problems. Bought a Chevy Blazer what a peice of junk, in the shop every 2 months, sold it 2 years latter for a Honda Accord.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote