Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-24-2003, 06:31 AM   #41
zelatore
Registered Member

Default A4 Q vs....

I just returned from flogging my A4 3.0 Q down around big sur. Yes, it's a wonderfull machine but I still think the 330 offers just that little bit more enjoyment when pushed. Of course, I just couldn't see myself buying the 330 when they are about as common as hondas here in the bay area. At least I only pass my twin in an A4 twice a day instead of the 20 times each day I'll pass a 3 series.

zelatore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2003, 06:37 AM   #42
zelatore
Registered Member

Default marine manifolds

Oh yeah. Nothing rusts like a boat's manifolds. Hot gasses and salt water....a great combination.
zelatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:32 AM   #43
MrBear44
Registered Member

Default Re: JB's Mental Breakdown: Mechanical Nightmare #3,621

ItÂ’s not just me! I am not alone!

When I was young, and we had carburetors and breaker points, I had some successes. Now it seems that I usually retire from the field of mechanical battle not only having failed to meet my objectives, but having worsened the situation and reduced the value of the object of my labors in the process. ItÂ’s a sort of mechanical anti-alchemy.

Anyone up for group therapy?

MrBear44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:14 PM   #44
crankin500
Founding Member

Default Acura's suck!

Under powered, inefficient, ugly, overpriced junk. The small block chevy is the greatest engine of all time. Argue all you want but the S.B.C. has won more races than any other engine on earth- PERIOD.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:13 PM   #45
rdsmith3
Founding Member

What's this sh*t doing in Motorcycle.com?

Actually, I just renewed because of this.

Keep it up, Burns.
rdsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:23 AM   #46
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default M-B 240D

I picked up a really well-maintained 1978 Mercedes 240D a couple of months ago with 192K miles on it, but a new engine was put in at 50K due to oil pressure failure (not sure if it was due to the same situation you described).

Things are going well with it so far- I've been very happy with the way that it runs and handles. And yes, the handling and turning is quite impressive for a car of its heft and girth. I've taken it on some long road trips and it's like rolling down I-5 on my easy chair. Granted, it's the slowest vehicle I've ever owned (both acceleration and top speed), but it's a fun car in its own way. The four-speed manual is its saving grace.

I didn't know that about Volvo building the engine- that's funny. I'm really happy with the car so far, but who knows, I could be singing your song some day.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:17 AM   #47
kawazuki
Founding Member

The next thing I have to do is work on my trailer because now they have introduced a rule that says I can't have the safety chain welded on uless it has a welders certificate available. So I gotta cut the chain off and bolt or shackle one on. Its all in the name of road safety and I think our bureaucrats have gone mad.

I'll vouch. Your bureaucrats have gone mad. With power. It seems to be a universal truism that people who are given power to make rules for other people will do so ad infinitum.

I imagine the strait jackets they make y'all wear "for your own safety" will be very nice and new and well inspected.

Damnit. And I was still considering moving to NZ. Y'all probably aren't allowed to own firearms either. Hah. With politicos making rules like that I can be almost sure of it.

Damned pretty place, though.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:26 AM   #48
kawazuki
Founding Member

It's a shame to hear that about MB. My only experience working on them is very positive.

For several years I owned a 1966 MB U404 Unimog. Every task that one had to do to that vehicle was designed to be as easy as possible. The example I always site is this one: when removing the voltage regulator from the wiring panel under the hood, one has to take out a couple of screws. One of them is directly behind part of the hood support strut bracketing, and would normally require the use of some wierd 90 degree screwdriver. Except MB had thought of that and put a hole in the bracket for a screwdriver to get at the screw. Everything was designed to be done with a minimum of fuss and bullsh!t. Even taking the entire body off of the vehicle only takes about 4 hours.

Now it may be that the only reason that this much effort went into the design is because it was a military vehicle, or at least an industrial vehicle, but still, it was one of the most pleasant to work on vehicles I've ever had to.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:28 AM   #49
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

Amen and Hallelujah. Original post: Take it to a Benz dealer. JB's original reply: It is to laugh. Accordingly, I laugh. Mostly with him.
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:04 AM   #50
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: M-B 240D

It IS a wonderfully drivable car for its size. In toto the maintenance was cheaper than the POS '80 Mustang we had that began to eat cash at a phenomenal rate after 60K miles.

If we had bought the comparable 2.5 liter gasoline powered MB I might still have it. But the lack of power and unsolvable problem we had with constant smoking just got to be too much.

It is more than mildly embarassing to be passed by 70's Beetles while grinding up Parley's Canyon in second gear (6% grade).

It could be worse. I knew a guy who bought a MB 190D many years ago when he graduated from law school. He was so proud of his new car, until he discovered it would not go up the steep hill he lived on, even in first gear. He had to back up the hill to his driveway in reverse. Germany is very flat you see and.....