Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-22-2003, 07:57 PM   #31
ats1911
Founding Member

Default Re: VW Golf?

I also had a 1983 GTI, and I have to agree with Bob about the handling, feel,... that you just can't get (in my experience, at least) in American or Japanese cars.

Now if you'd care to explain to me the 50lb hunk of iron that held the piston (?!?) AC compressor, the split, spacer-adjustable belt pulley for same compressor, I'd be glad to hear it. Not in my worst nightmare could I have designed that. It sure made changing the waterpump (twice) in January a rare treat.

After two Rabbits, a Golf, and an Audi A4, I'm convinced that there's really something to that Farhvergnuegen ad campaign. Some quality issues at times, but the best driving experience on 4 wheels. The A4 Quattro was the most confident-feeling car I have ever driven. Nothing upset it. Ever. Quite the opposite of my F-250, but the A4 doesn't pull a camper worth a hoot....

Aaron
ats1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #32
ats1911
Founding Member

Default Re: JB's Mental Breakdown: Mechanical Nightmare #3,621

1984 Volvo 240DL. The wife's car before we were married. That !$%^* thing seemed so simple, but never was. NEVER by a Swedish car.
ats1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:43 AM   #33
triumph900
Founding Member

Worst cars I ever had to deal with were my mothers rusted ass P.O.S. Honda Civic, which ate water pumps, had the clutch peddle snap(!), and generally sucked, and my ex-in-laws rusted ass P.O.S. Hoda Accord, which puked the camshaft at 90,000 miles, and yes they did change the oil every 3K...now those Chevy's we've had with 140,000, 125,000, etc. They REALLY sucked :>)
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:12 AM   #34
VFRider
Registered Member

Do we really need to see JB naked?
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:59 AM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I totally agree. I stopped attempting to work on any vehicle of mine in my early 20s. I just factor in the cost of services into the cost of ownership before I buy something and in my mind that becomes the total price.

Unlike some who claim to enjoy doing their own maintenance, I derive no pleasure from it whatsoever.

Now on the other hand, give me a gasoline powered demolition saw and I'll take out your kitchen in a hearbeat!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:53 AM   #36
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

LMAO. Been there done that. Dude, that boat thing, Nooooooooo!!!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:50 AM   #37
rocketorM3
Founding Member

Default interesting perspectives

Hmmm. Timing chain, I am sure chevys have a requirement as such, but Nobody does that. To be sure MB or BMW chains are a bigger pain as the dampener likely needs to be removed. But most BMWs don't have 100K replacement specs.

BMWs are damn simple for the normal stuff, belts, alt, plugs, air filter, water pump, tstat,brake rotors, pads, bleeding, oil filter(beauty), oil change(unless it is an M like mine sitting lower to the ground). Of course the newer VANOS types are not so much so for valve train issues which are mostly nil. However unlike an american car the studs will always come out if the nut doesn't come off. BMWs only seem hype from fast and furious types. Y is it that Honda bikes have timing chains mostly while there cars have belts what a pain. Also, my M3 meets or surpasses many hi perf car specs of today and it is a '95.

I feel your pain. It seems that most would normally check a head gasket with a wet dry leak test first.
rocketorM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:13 PM   #38
rsheidler
Founding Member

I hear ya there. Over a few year period, I went from a BMW 530i to a 4X4 Chevy pickup (tired of getting stuck in Denver snow and needed something to haul my race bike) to a Rabbit GTi (had quit racing) to a Honda CRX (wrecked the GTi) to a BMW 320i (adopted a kid). I wish I had half of the money I have p!ssed away on cars over the years!

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:33 PM   #39
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: VW Golf?

My GTi didn't have air conditioning so I don't know about the compresser thing, but what you describe fits what I know about other German cars.

I also had an A4 Quattro 1.8T when I lived in Park City. Really loved the car, although the steering feel was just a touch less satisfying than a 3-series BMW. Beats hell out of it when there is snow or ice on the roads though.

Only quality issue I had was with the rear wheel bearings which failed just past the 50,000 mile warrantee, and the side moulding that came loose after the clips that hold them rusted -- not covered by the no rust-through warrantee. Damned Utah road salt!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:17 AM   #40
zelatore
Registered Member

Default Re: at least it wasn't an Alfa...

Yeah, but JB's boat is a Uniflite...probably powered with old 440s. Just as much an orphan as any Alfa. I speak from experience haveing owned examples of both.

(kudos for at least spelling Alfa correctly though!)
zelatore is offline   Reply With Quote