Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-22-2003, 08:33 AM   #61
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Shrugs shoulders.

HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2003, 08:36 AM   #62
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Shrugs shoulders.

Whatever. Next time be honest cause your numbers don't add up. Facts and Data man. It will set you free.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:12 AM   #63
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Read rather than ride I don't think so (facts and data)

KPaul suddenly took "Ball Growing" pills, but the only thing that got bigger was his mouth. No KPaul, your skills didn't get better and your miles are still few, your experience still a thimble full. The exhaust fumes from cooking up McDonald's finest has seemed to cloud your brain. You are still a flunkie with a Ninja. WIthout the Ninja you are just a flunkie. Get used to it.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:25 PM   #64
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Apple vs. orange

Sure, Bob, but max g on skidpad is still a darn good measure of max corner speed. In fact max g is determined by lap speed. If you can get 1 G out of a Camry, you've done something really good for the suspension, f/r weight distribution and power enough to kill the horrific understeer. You can't get low skidpad lap times without decent static handling. Transitional handling measured in a slalom is something else.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #65
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Apple vs. orange

1) I don't think so, seruzawa. Not if the contact surfaces deform elastically. Anyone with more recent schooling want to weigh in?

2) No quarrel about the twisty road: that's transitional handling, not raw cornering power.

3) Motorcycles stop more quickly than cars because they have much better brakes and tires. Usually better riders, too. Cars with competition brakes and tires stop just as fast. And they don't endo.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:00 PM   #66
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Shrugs shoulders.

Heh heh. See how easy it is to get sucked into Kook's Entropic Universe of Circular Logic?

Take the pledge! Never again!
Old 04-22-2003, 02:04 PM   #67
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Why don't motorcycle journals present hard data?

regarding the first, motorcycles tilt when they corner, and none of the accelerometer-based lateral G measuring devices can take that tilt into account. They need to be mounted flat (like, on a seat, or in the trunk/package space), since the accelerometers can only measure acceleration in a linear vector.

An accelerometer strapped to a bike will measure the vector sum of the lateral (skidpad) acceleration and the vertical (weight) acceleration. The weight represents 1 G so skidpad acceleration = sqrt(measured acceleration squared - 1). 1 G on the skidpad = about 1.4 G as measured by a bike mounted accelerometer.

You can also compute the lean angle. It's the arctangent of the skidpad G over the measured G.

Old 04-22-2003, 07:12 PM   #68
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: Why don't motorcycle journals present hard data?

All of the magazines you list are excellent and I enjoy reading them when I get a chance. I wouldn't say the American rags are a joke...just written under different motivations.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:14 PM   #69
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: How many miles do you ride per year? Put up or shut up. You flunked math I see

Glad to see I haven't lost my touch.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote