Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Why don't motorcycle journals present hard data? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1793-why-dont-motorcycle-journals-present-hard-data.html)

machine539 04-22-2003 03:01 AM

Re: Why don't motorcycle journals present hard data?

It seems the paucity of information regarding bikes is limited to north american magazines. pick up any British bike mag and you'll get dynos, acceleration, roll-on, braking, etc. IE all the info you could possibly want. They also seem to be a lot more objective about the bikes too.

Cornering isn't something that will be easy to measure with any bike, and as mentioned previously, is very dependent on the rider and the weather conditions, not to mention the road and the tires.

Magazines with actual meaty reviews to look for:

Performance Bikes

Superbike Magazine

Fast Bikes

T.W.O.

Bike

Basically, they make any north american mag look like a joke.

grubz916 04-22-2003 03:15 AM

They also seem to actually do tests, instead of giving 1 page riding impressions, whatever that is. Death to Cycle World, Death to Motorcyclist.

longride 04-22-2003 03:35 AM

Re: Read rather than ride I don't think so (facts and data)

WOW! 72 whole miles every weekend? And a current rate of 8000 miles a year(even though you will end up with 4000)? Boy, you have me beat by so much it isn't funny. I could never ride as much as you. If you ride like you talk, I think you should leave the betting at home. Make sure you keep it under 9 grand in any race, because you will really smoke him then. If you get your bad azz ninja over to Chicago, look me up.

HelterSkelter 04-22-2003 04:22 AM

8000 miles a year!!

*Poof*Is that the sound of KPaul's credibility disappearing? My (worthless, poser mobile, ill engineered) Harley riding friends will be amused to hear that "the great KPaul" rides 72 whole miles every weekend. We'll be thinking about you next time we put in a 1500 mile weekend.

No wonder your Ninja is so much more reliable and smooth running, it's not even been broken in yet!

seruzawa 04-22-2003 05:04 AM

Wheeeoooooo. 8 thousand whole miles/year? An entire 34 mile commute?

My knees tremble, you frag-bait ex-puking-officer.

seruzawa 04-22-2003 05:14 AM

Re: Apple vs. orange

It's been a lot of years since I did my Statics and Dynamics courses, but as I recall the formulas will still give the edge to the lighter vehicle given similar contact patches.

In any case you need only drive a Camry vs a Miata to experience how a Miata will wack a Camry on a twisty road.

The same weight advantage is what allows a motorcycle to stop more quickly than a car in spite of the bike's relatively miniscule contact patch.

giuliom 04-22-2003 05:16 AM

I agree. I occasionally read Italian bike magazines and they present lots of data. This is particularly nice in the case of comparos, since it gives data that is collected in similar conditions. After reading some of the comparos from _Motociclismo_, for example, you really feel like you know a lot about the bikes reviewed.

electraglider_1997 04-22-2003 05:45 AM

Layback. What is "In like a"?

KPaulCook 04-22-2003 05:56 AM

How many miles do you put on your bike?

You can tell me unles you can't handle hearing my laughing all the way from Seattle.

electraglider_1997 04-22-2003 06:03 AM

Give me

And give me cost of parts. Whether a bike can do 11.2 or 11.6 sec in the quarter is fine but most of us will never have our bikes timed except by that smokey who'll be writing us a ticket. I like to keep the two tires on their natural contact patch as much as possible and I hate going down to the bike shop and finding out that air cleaner is going to set me back 30+ when a car air cleaner costs $2.50 at Walmart. I know that these motorcycle publications cater to the immature that only care about quarter mile time bragging rights and how fast the bike made it around some track in California. Heck, I live in Nebraska and haven't seen California since 1975 while in bootcamp at MCRD in San Diego. All I want to know is how fast does the bike eat tires and if I ride sensibly how far will it go on a tank of gas. Hey, I love to ride and do so daily but wouldn't for long if I rode at 11 flat quarter mile speed everytime I went to the gym. Besides, with all the nonriders trying to legislate bubbleboy bodysuits for us, isn't it at least as important to present us biker types as interested in more than just trap speeds?