Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-16-2003, 06:27 PM   #11
Captain_1
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Victory Vegas Reader Feedback

Finally Victory has a bike with style and substance. Too bad they priced it too aggressively in a down market. What's left of Victory's dealer body has been encouraged to "custom order" each Vegas driving up the price. I believe my local dealer has yet to deliver a new Vegas from his initial shipment last month. To successfully compete against H-D (and others), they need a compelling value story and a stronger dealer organization. Low APR financing and/or accessory credit will go alot further than a free t-shirt. In today's fierce competitive environment you can finance or lease a new luxury car for less than a "good" motorcycle. ie. Jaguar's X-Type is only $279/mo. w/$2800 down. JB, why bother with nasty headbolts -- new is better.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2003, 06:55 PM   #12
Sam_Freed
Registered Member

Default Cap'n is selling Jags to bikers now?

Who gives a hoot what you can lease a Jag for? A gilded cage is still a cage and I have nothing but pity for the air conditioned, Bose stereoed, rich Corinthian leather seated losers who dump $30K, $40K, $50K on a rolling prison cell. I only own a car for trips to the grocery store and rainy days, and I'll never spend more than $5K on one. I'm interested in comparing bikes to bikes and it sounds as though when you consider the Vegas' target market, which is obviously the American-made-or-bust H-D crowd that is used to spending $15-20K for a stock bike, that at least there is now a viable Plan B.
Sam_Freed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 07:23 PM   #13
mecima
Founding Member

If Victory wants to visit VROD price territory(18k in FL) with its Vegas then it aught to stay home, if wants to travel the successful VTX/Valkery (14k) road then here is my CHECK!
mecima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:04 PM   #14
Kirby
Founding Member

I agree....but I do hope Victory comes out with a few goodies for go fast. To keep up with the Yamaha big dog. Nice bike, I REALLY like the looks of the engine. The easy belt change is a big plus it seems.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:06 PM   #15
theDuke
Founding Member

I also attended the San Mateo show and thought the Vegas was the most compelling new bike there... and this from a guy who's never owned a cruiser-styled bike.

I'm still not a fan of riding with my feet streched out in front of me, but relative to some of the other bikes like this on the market, I thought the pegs were at least a manageable distance forward.

I love the sanitary lines of the bike in person.

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:09 PM   #16
theDuke
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Victory Engine Paint?

Some of the pictures I've seen of the Vegas show it with a blacked-out engine with polished fins and others, like in this story, show the engin in gray. Do they make the entine in different colors depending on the color of the bodywork or are these all just photos of pre-production bikes and they haven't made up their mind?

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:23 PM   #17
sarnali
Founding Member

I checked out a Vegas at the Seattle show, looks like it might turn it around for Victory. I think it's alot more compettitive than the "Indian" or other clone's. Hope things work out for them.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:33 PM   #18
Betamax
Founding Member

If you want cruiser speed for cheap, then buy a Magna.

Cruisers aren't about speed. If it's all about showing your tail-light, then forget about cruisers and buy an FZ1 or a supersport.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 04:22 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Eric has to do all the cruiser testing for MO from this day forward, because he has "the look" down cold. Nobody else on the MO staff comes close, so Eric is the lone cruiser wolf at MO. Same with the Victory. It has "the look" down cold, but lacks all the other necessities to make it sell well making it a lonely wolf of a bike. Marketing, dealer support, price, heritage, and name recognition are most of the problems with backup. A nice motorcycle alone won't sell if it doesn't have the rest of the package. Sportbikes sell on numbers. Win at the drag strip, track, or top speed and you have a winner. Cruisers sell on all the intangibles that can't be copied in a factory. Ask any confused Japanese cruiser engineer. The Vegas is the best effort that Polaris has made to date. Sadly, the owners will probably spend more time explaining that it isn't a Harley, than actually explaining how nice it really is, and that's a shame. The bike deserves more support.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:10 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The medications are finally kicking in. Good to see a better life through chemicals.