Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Corbin Motors is Bankrupt:

I can't imagine that there would be any market for this thing except for the tiny demographic of bad British secret agent movie parodyists and henchmen.

As far as the investors go, well you takes yer chances, too bad. Darned thing stood no chance to begin with. You'd have to be able to sell ice to Eskimos to sell many of those things.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

I was out at Sturgis a couple of years ago and talked to one of the head honchos of Corbin motors about their Merlin. He tried to talk me into buying shares at $4 each. I liked the look of the Merlin but couldn't get myself to buy into the idea that 1000's of people were going to lay out 20K for a 1 seat oddity. I mean, you wouldn't even be able to give a chick a ride in the thing since it had only room enough for one person. A motorcycle can at least carry a passenger. Thankfully I steered clear of investing. I'm sure all the unfortunate investors will get stuck in the rump on that deal.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:44 AM   #3
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Ron Huch

Ron Huch is the guy I talked at length to at Sturgis 2 or 3 years ago. Apparently he is a shiester.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:18 PM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You mean you aren't surprised that the Eco-Wackos didn't start ponying up the dough for this machine? They sure talk a big game at awards events and on talk shows.

Why didn't the tree-huggers buy this? This supposedly is the car of their dreams.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:59 PM   #5
theDuke
Founding Member

Ah, I guess the end of the Electric Vehicle mandate by the California Air Resources Board last week was the final straw... While Corbin would not have been affected by this law, the end of the mandate also means the end of any state support for EVs.

To be fair, the state, while mandating zero-emission vehicles, gave no meaningful support to any of the manufacturers anway. They do like to talk the talk, though.

What a bunch of maroons.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:09 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

You've forgotten the cardinal rule when understanding Eco-Wackos. Overpriced electric cars are supposed to be used by the masses, you know, the riff-raff, like us.

The Eco-elitists themselves, being fully enlightened and superior intellects, deserve the full luxuries of society as their just reward for their guidance.

After all, have you ever seen a big opponent of "Urban Sprawl" like the President of the Sierra Club give up his big Marin County spread and move into a small apartment himself? Fat chance.

I've yet to see any big mouthed pol that gets bent out of shape about "urban sprawl" give up his or her own home in the 'burbs.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:30 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

It's a good thing to see THAT mandate go. Recharging an EV to go 50 miles creates more hydrocarbon emmission at the El Segundo Power Plant than you'd get just driving a modern efficient gasoline powered Tercel 5o miles.

When you let people without the slightest understanding of science pretend that they can force scientific progress you get at best a clusterf**k.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:40 PM   #8
_searcher_
Founding Member

Default Necessity is the mother of invention

Or - engineers only work with a gun to their head. It's not the responsibility of the government to pay car manufacturers to produce cleaner vehicles. It's the governments job to create laws and force car manufacturers to produce cleaner vehicles.

It's called a level playing field - right now, SUV's are exempt from laws cars must abide by - why? Government corruption because SUV's offer substancially higher profit.

The point? Corbin Motors made an ugly car that has NO market (I'd love to have read the market research on THAT). I can't believe anyone put a dime into what I saw in that picture (I have seen some on the road at UCD).

The other point? Requiring cars to be fuel efficient and clean burning is only going to hurt car manufactures if there are loopholes that certain manufacturers can take advantage of that others can't.
_searcher_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:40 PM   #9
KPaulCook
Banned

Good point. I agree I grew up near two large coal fueled power plants. We would always laugh when folks said electrical is clean.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:46 PM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

Excellent post man. Here in the Peoples Republic of Seattle we see a lot of Eco-Wackos elitists. The freeways are like parking lots during rush hour and Boeing, Kenworth etc want to leave because of the traffic mess. But no we can't build anymore roads cause that would Eco-unfriendly. Meanwhile the blue collar folks and us techies have to move cause Seattle doesn't like the "dirty" industries that built the city.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote