Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-14-2003, 11:17 AM   #1
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: '03 600s, Part II: On the Dirty Boulevard...

Excellent report guys. This shows that the street is always the great equalizer. Bumps, blind corners, debris, cages all conspire to slow us down quite a bit compared to the racetrack.

The sound effects of the Ducati would probably send me in that direction but the R6 is a sweet-looking machine as well.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #2
rsheidler
Founding Member

I was gonna suggest that the Kawasaki needed a Corbin seat, but that was before I read today's article on the Corbin Motors bankruptcy!

Speaking as one who has not ridden any of the current versions of this class, it does sound like the R6 is the one to buy -- especially if cost matters -- argueably the best looking of the bunch, with the best suspension and best fuel injection, and it won't crush my nutz. And, for those for whom that matters, their race record ain't too shabby.

Although I gotta say that the Speed 4 appeals to me in some undefined way.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #3
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I hate to admit it but the Speed 4 appeals to me also. Kind of funky looking, but nothing really stand out as ugly, or out of proportion. Also I have always wanted a Triumph, but the old ones where always cursed by the prince of darkness (Lucas). I spent to much time helping my friends get get there old Triumphs running in the 70's. They have some interesting looking bike's now. Guess I might stop at the dealer to get a closer look.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #4
cycleguy26
Founding Member

Nice job on the report- both parts. I am partial to Kawisakis, so I have been glad to see their current success in the reviews and superstock racing, though not too pleased with supersport results. But it's good to see them make an all killer no filler racebike. Now I just wish they'd make a good sportbike for the real world, as they have in the past. How well does the ZZR600 thing sale anyway? It's totally outclassed by the YZF600R and CBR600f4i. What are the possibilities of rebadging last year's ZX-6R as a second tier sportbike? Anyone else agree, or even care for that matter?
Old 04-14-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
KPaulCook
Banned

Great review. It is seems like folks are picking bikes in this order (Sports Rider, Cycle World, etc. ..)

1. R6

2. CBR600

3. ZX-6R

4. GSXR-600

Which is consistent with your review. For me I would try the R6 and CBR out. The ZX-6R and GSXR are too track oriented for me. According to Sport Rider the CBR has the lower pegs than the track model and R6, which would make it my choice. Also like the looks better. I think Kawasaki made a bad choice to go to a so race oriented design and not keep the 02 ZX-6R. Honda was smart to keep the F4i.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:17 PM   #6
cycleguy26
Founding Member

I have a 2001 Sprint ST and I love it. But it's a tough love thing. Unless you live very close to a dealer and don't mind doing all your business with him, buy something else. I go to any other bike shop, for tires, a chain, basic stuff and it's all, "Go find a Brit-bike shop. We don't work on those things." All the parts are unique. So it gets to be a real hassle, especially to your bank account. If you live near a reputable dealer with a good service department and aren't planning on moving any time soon, you really can't lose. They do have a great product line. Something for just about everyone, and there is that thing about being different that appeals to some.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:21 PM   #7
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Nicely reported, Gentlemen. Thank you.

I didn't think we'd see anything until after the tax deadline.

This was a pleasant surprise.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

Definelty agree I have a 01 ZX-6R I love. Can't believe Kawasaki didn't keep it.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:27 PM   #9
dardas
Founding Member

Yes, absolutely. I have a zx-6r and I love it for it's flexibility. However, I do love the look of the new 6r. Maybe they could build a version with different geometry, gear ratios and tuning; kind of like the differences between sv650 and sv650s.

I've heard they're concocting a z600. Maybe they'll release one with good wind protection.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:42 PM   #10
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

The only problem would be cost- it's still $1000 more than the YZF, and in performance it's not close enough to the F4i to justify the same price.