Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-15-2003, 09:02 PM   #61
spoon3
Founding Member

Default Re: '03 600s, Part II: On the Dirty Boulevard...

I'm going to buy either the 636r or r6 within the next month. Seems like trying to decide which girl to take out: do you want the feisty, unpredictable one that might hurt you but give you an exciting ride (636r), or the one that's you know what to expect, nice to ride, won't hurt you but just a little something missing (r6)hmmm...

Would a rear shock replacement and steering damper on the Kawasaki take care of it's handling problems or would it be like dumping money into a broad, hoping she's going to come around but never really does?

spoon3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2003, 10:42 PM   #62
aknopak
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell, however, has a LOT of rotational inertia

This is not true.

Actually the Firebolts wheels are exceptionally light, even with the brakedisc. I remember a comparison with R1 wheels, if I remember correctly, the Firebolt's wheels were in the order of 3 kg. lighter (I think the pair together...).

I think the low unsprung weight together with the low centre of gravity of the bike are what makes the frontwheel behave nicely.

The modest power output probably helps too.
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:00 AM   #63
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Speed Triple.

Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple.

(Seruzawa salivates.......)
Old 04-16-2003, 06:34 AM   #64
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

That's exactly the problem with the Brit Mags- they have an incurable case of the "newest technology = best bike" syndrome. American mags seem to have a better handle on reality.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:35 AM   #65
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yeah, I know, I should go to Vegas and gamble with those odds.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:41 AM   #66
Sprint_97
Founding Member

I purchased a 2003 R6 three weeks ago and love it. Last summer I rode a brand new F4i, and my R6 is more comfortable (the handlebars on the F4i vibrated a lot at highway speed) and the R6's motor is way more powerful! It's really an awesome bike. Your test just confirmed that I made the correct purchase.
Sprint_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:45 AM   #67
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

With Boehm I think it has nothing to do with ads and everything to do with his own personal biases being foisted onto his minions- he used to work for H**da.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:19 AM   #68
Tigercub
Founding Member

JB - why the Speed 4 and not the TT600? Maybe you mentioned this allready.

It's a little less than the, "TT600 with missing bodywork". It also has a milder cam, which accounts for the lower HP on top.

I'm not complaining, it's lightyears ahead of, well, my old Triumph. It's funky and I like funky.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:24 PM   #69
OGWG_Jack
Founding Member

I just wanted to add my two cents.

I have now ridden my brand new ZX-6R for a week and am in heaven, but thats from someone who doesn't have a hard time contorting to fit a bike.

I can't say anything about the suspension until I have had time to break it in and really go to town tweaking it.

But the seat sliding and possible tankslappers

are spot on, I find myself pushing back away from the tank every few minutes to let my balls breath.

Also I just looked up the Scotts steering damper online, it's $450 and I am ordering one first thing next week. I like that one because it keeps all the parts away from the sides of the bike.

So of course all these 600's are totally amazing, I just happen to have fallen in love with the ZX-6R.

-Jack
OGWG_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:45 PM   #70
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell, however, has a LOT of rotational inertia

The PHYSICAL inertia is low: The wheel has lighter spokes, which helps the suspension.

But the ROTATIONAL inertia is actually higher, alot higher. By having all the brake disk mass out at the edge, the rotational inertia (gyroscopic behavior) is very high, as this is proportional to the mass times the radius squared.

Cut the mass in half, but double the radius, and you double the rotational inertia, which is basically what Buell has done.

High rotational inertia means the wheel is harder to deflect when spinning, and contributes greatly to the Firebolt's stability. This is a GOOD thing on a streetbike, as it makes the suspension work better while making the bike more stable (slower steering).

Racebikes have been going the other way, with smaller disks so the wheels have less rotational inertia, even if it might mean a minor increase in unsprung weight (4 brake disks vs 2).

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote