Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-14-2003, 08:23 PM   #21
dardas
Founding Member

Default Re: '03 600s, Part II: On the Dirty Boulevard...

I guess it depends on the test and the criteria they use -and which bike company gives them the most advertising cash-

Buyt you know.... I've nearly always found that the UK mags favor the race-oriented bikes
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2003, 08:49 PM   #22
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: '03 600s, Other choices

This whole 600 thing is getting confusing. I understand the need to test the "high end" 600cc (or thereabouts) bikes, but most of us, most of the time, ride on the street. For that realm, are any of these new guys better than the Yamaha YZF600R? Are any of them more fun to ride than the SV650? How about an article on the effect on the calibrated gluteous maximus of 300 miles on a 600?

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:24 PM   #23
dogdanz
Founding Member

The R6 is also the best looking bike (the new Duc is growing on me but still not near as pretty as the 74 of this bunch. Funny how the manufacturer's are inconsistent class-to-class with their approach: Kawi has the well-rounded 9R and the focused 6R. Suzuki usually seems to go for the sport side while Honda usually goes for a more capable overall package, with Yama and Kawa seemingly changing goals with each redesign, though Yama keeps the well-rounded older bikes in the lineup for a few years, when they start looking like great deals. If Yamaha would style the big FJR1300 like this R6, including the liquid silver with black paint scheme, I'd have no choice but to buy one.
dogdanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:33 PM   #24
pveiser
Founding Member

Couldn't agree more. It's a totally subjective thing. Even for bikes almost universally panned by reviewers you'll find a group of fanatical supporters.

I love reading the reviews (nice job once again MO), but certainly don't let it make my decision for me. In the end, the only way to decide is to ride it yourself... and if you like it, ignore what anyone else says!
pveiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:34 PM   #25
johnnyb
Founding Member

Not so weird when you think about it. Roadracing World? Well, the ZX-6R won the racetrack part of MO's comparison too. Cycle News, well, we love those guys but...

Sport Rider and Cycle World agree with us, and both magazines have very experienced testers. British mags for the most part travel to Spain to test cause it's too cold and wet in Britain in the spring, and they all want to be First! In Spain, you go 100 mph-plus all the time, and stiff bikes with peaky powerbands feel less so under those conditions. In the U.S., you don't ride that way and it makes a big difference. As with all information: consider the source.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:14 PM   #26
imported_Bear_3
Founding Member

Your review was bang on. I test drove a 2003 ZX-6R and R6 back to back last week. The R6 was a far more refined, confidence inspiring ride (not to mention a blast). The ZX-6R was a rocket, and curled my toes everytime I cranked the throttle open. Power everywhere, but not nearly as comfortable nor as stable a mount.

I couldn't find a 600RR anywhere to test drive. All of the dealerships were selling them out before they hit the showroom floor. They were even doubtful that they would have one available during an upcoming Honda organized demo ride. Hmmm.....

My 2003 R6 should be arriving in two weeks. Yeehaw!!
imported_Bear_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:47 PM   #27
shinnix
Founding Member

I was thinking the exact same thing! Old body + new motor = best street bike, if not as sexy as the new one. BTW, the MOrons were not kidding on the hardcore ergos on the new ZX6R. The theme song for this bike should be the Nutcracker.
shinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:57 PM   #28
grooves12
Founding Member

So, what are your guys plans once the 600RR is FINALLY released?? Will you do another comparison, a stond-alone review, or will you just let it b forgotten because Honda isn't playing nice??
grooves12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:00 AM   #29
grooves12
Founding Member

Default Re: '03 600s, Other choices

For the type of person that would enjoy a YZF600R or a SV650... they don't really CARE about the latest and greatest 600's. They care about a reasonable ride and know exactly where to find them and what they will provide, being as they have been exactly the same for about 5 years now.

grooves12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:06 AM   #30
smythie
Founding Member

Well the ZX9-R is an old bike relatively speaking. It was designed when Kawasaki were going down the same lines as Honda - building bikes that the populace should ride. Now HOnda and the big K are deciding to build bikes that people have been asking for for ages. Watch out for the 9R replacement the 10R, it should be very narrow focussed. And the new Fireblade will be another race bike. As for Suzuki, the GSX-R series are all fairly narrow minded sports bikes, just not quite as narrow as the R6 and 6R at this point