Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-14-2003, 01:54 PM   #11
micty
Founding Member

Default Re: '03 600s, Part II: On the Dirty Boulevard...

I wish Kawasaki would bring over the 02 636 that they had in Europe. I think it would make an excellent streetbike, and can certainly replace the ZZR600.
micty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #12
Closet_Bad_Ass
Founding Member

A conclusion! I love it! Great job all around, MO staff. I would have really liked to hear what you had to say about the Honda in the company of these other bikes. But then again, there are a lot of things I would like.

Three cheers to the safe return of our troops, and our allies' troops, from Iraq.
Closet_Bad_Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:12 PM   #13
brickl
Founding Member

Default Please tell me it ain't so...

The reviewer wrote of the Ducati: "Now that ours has had its break-in service, it revs on out to 11,000--a thing that might've moved it much closer to the front of the pack at our track day."

Are you telling us that you guys are adhering to the break-in instructions while testing? How are we supposed to tell which one would actually win if you don't ride 'em to the limit?
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:25 PM   #14
merv
Founding Member

Default Re: Please tell me it ain't so...

Also it sounds like a rather pointless exercise if all the engines aren't broken in properly and aren't realising their full potential.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:06 PM   #15
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Please tell me it ain't so...

It's programmed into the ECU for the first 600 miles or something like that, and Ducati could've easily turned down our request for a bike until it was broken in. They didn't. We love them for it. The extra thousand rpm is mostly overrev, really, but might've saved a tenth here and there on the track.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:14 PM   #16
lant5
Founding Member

The old Triumph reliability rep is the first thing I hear about anytime someone wants to talk about my Triumph. The modern Triumph's are proving to be reliable machines. Yes, like any mfgr there are issues but these bikes are not the oil leaking, electirical gremlins, shody made bikes that caused the Brit bike industry to fail. As for dealers turning you away because it is a Brit bike, good for them if business is so good that they can turn a customer away for something as basic as tire and chain maintenance. Aftermarket parts have proven to be plentiful and easy to locate, factory parts are priced like any of the competition and the supply has improved in the last year. Factory parts delivery was an issue for some owners as reported in an owners survey. I have no issue with trusting my Triumph and have taken it on many a multi day trip 100's of miles from home.
lant5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:13 PM   #17
CONMAN
Founding Member

Great comparison! As a owner of a 02 R6 I'm glad to see the Yamaha win, but I don't think anyone could really go wrong with any of the new 600's. They are all great bikes. I read some of the U.K. bike mags and was kinda surprised of how they trashed the R6 for not being updated enough, but the R6 has done well in the U.S. mag reviews. Whats wrong with those crazy brits? Ride Safe!!
CONMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:40 PM   #18
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Great article as usual guys, thanks. Still looks like not a loser in the bunch to me. I could understand someone choosing to buy any of them. Too bad Honda chickened out. That Ducati looks like one easy to go rapidly in the rocks/dirt showing up in the middle of the corner world of canyonriding ride and sounds like music to my ears. I liked that sentence.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:39 PM   #19
srleadjb
Founding Member

It's weird, every magazine picks a different bike.

Roadracing magazine picks the zx6r

Cycle news magazine picks the zx6r

sportrider mag picks the r6

Cycle world r6

All the British performance bike mags have picked the kawi zx6r, except one that picked the Honda RR.

What gives. Just goes to show that its not about which one is the best, it's about which one is the best for you! I picked the Kawi zx6r and absolutely love it. You can't pick a bad one though.....Good luck.

srleadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:08 PM   #20
david_tucker
Founding Member

Where will the Triumph Daytona 600 fit in ? Tested in MCN UK this week the mag claims suspension better than the R6.

I have only demoed the R6 and found it a brilliant bike, and like you , was particularly impressed by the compliant suspension, so was surprised to read the comment in the MCN report "Where an R6, for example, would be kicking and bucking and the rider backing off,the Daytona would feel serene-if it wasn't so

damn quick"

I really wonder at the differences testers claim to find. I've seen some claim the new Honda to have a poor midrange, others to claim it has more than all except the Kawasaki 636, ditto the R6.

Surely this must be capable of objective analysis?
david_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote