Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-09-2003, 10:09 PM   #31
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Re: Anyone read the twin comparo in some brit mag??

Yes, it was in a recent (March, 2003 I believe) issue of "Superbike" magazine, which used to be my favorite print bike mag. I bought this one before a plane trip just to read this comparison between the Piega, Mille, RC-51 and the 999. But in comparison to, say, their openbike shootout of two years ago between the R1, the new GSX-R1000 et al, this test was lacking in the irreverance and entertainment factor that I used to pick up their magazine for.

But I digress. Yes, the three main gripes they had about the Piega were: 1, the proprietary EFI system conked out, cutting their test short; 2, ground clearance limited handling on certain corners; and 3, powah. The third one is particularly surprising to me as it's a hopped up RC engine (albeit a first-gen 2000-01 type) which was never known to be a slouch. In fact, most of the tests I've read found the RCs to be throwing down the consistently highest hp numbers. But these guys were going with pretty subjective testing and ranked the Mille as having the best engine (read: strongest) of the test group.

The fact that they didn't include any lap times or hp figures from the 4 bikes in the test pointed towards a level of disorganization above and beyond the patented 'MO Method of Organized Chaos.' Basically it was one of the weakest multi-bike reviews I've ever read-- it was hard to take their criticism as being especially credible. Note to "Superbike:" regain your lost 'edge' lest you join the ranks of every other boring print moto magazine that blathers about boring details and makes no attempt to distinguish themselves from the pack. That, and get better centerfold models.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2003, 02:03 AM   #32
SHU
Founding Member

Default Re: Scoop! 2003 Mondial Piega Feedback

First time poster here. I have been riding a Cagiva Raptor 1000 for the past year. I feel sorry for you stateside riders who will never get to enjoy it. It cost $8000. The specs on this $30000 don't justify that kind of $$. When I pull up on the Raptor it gets tons of attention, almost as much as my Ural.
SHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:52 AM   #33
SRMark
Founding Member

It's good to see another fine piece of Italian history turning past glory into current sales. It looks to be a stunner. Except for the blah paint job. Reminds me of a Duncan yoyo I had 40 years ago combined with a bit of that Kawasaki blue laser paint from the old 750 triple. Yuck! Ducati reds and yellows show the boldness of that company. Benelli green/silver is muted but quite stunning. Aprilia carbon fiber is even ok and Laverda orange will do. Maybe if I offer $35,000 they will let me pick my own color.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:55 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Golfzzzzzzzzz...............

If you want to race me after you fill your bummer with golf clubs and people be my guest. Might as well drive a Taurus.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:09 AM   #35
buck000
Founding Member

Wonderful article. Droolicious bike. Liked the old pics, as well...
buck000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:46 AM   #36
Andrew_Mai
Registered Member

Many thanks for the old photos. They really bring back the memories. They are lovely.

Andy
Andrew_Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:00 AM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

My point was that you were making an apples and oranges comparison. Cars and motorcycles can't be compared on a performance basis. I was saying I would bet on the beemer if you had yourself and three passengers plus their golf clubs on your Suzuki.

I don't own a beemer (I drive a Toyota Tundra) and god-forbid I ever golf.

Shouldn't we be bashing KP or something?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:00 AM   #38
Jexter
Founding Member

Dag-freaking-nabbit! I was wondering what happened to Cagiva after I read the article here. I REALLY wanted one of those things. Stupid Cali...

*whine* Hey Jex, are you smoking inside? Put that thing out! Put your helmet back on! Put that stick down, it's considered a lethal weapon! HEY! Is that bike from a small overseas manufacturer? Put it back where you got it this instant!

Aaawwwwwwwwww, heck.

-Jexter
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:16 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Let the KP bashing fest begin!

The only reason I make the comparison is that I frequently run into suits in Acuras and Bummers who try to play racy racy on the street. You'd think that by now even all the cagers would know how pathetic their wundercars are compared to today's bikes.

Hey, I know! The reason they rhink their cars are fast is because, like KP, they read all the magazines and begin to believe the crap about how great their cages are! It's all KP's fault.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:28 AM   #40
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I agree. Not long ago I torched a guy in a Porsche on my Duc and I think he was quite surprised. Even a Harley will torch most cars in a 0-60 or 1/4 mile drag race.

Can you just see me drag racing on my bagger?

And yes everything is KP's fault.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote