Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-07-2003, 12:06 PM   #71
Meatball_1
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 V-Rod Vs. Warrior Reader Feedback

I just amazes me that you could be amazed! The Warrior should really be up against all the air cooled pushrod single pin engines out there, but it cuaght the bows at Milwaukee SO flat footed there is no comparison. As for the "Tarted up Warrior", it was an exhaust and a control module. If they'd have installed a speedstar kit it would still cost less that the Vster and blow it's doors off in every way.
Meatball_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2003, 01:45 PM   #72
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Agreed maybe the old stock exhaust was to hip for the cruiser crowd.

Ditto on that. It looked like a sportbike exhaust but supa-sized for the additional displacement.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:52 PM   #73
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re:

"A V-Max sure as hell is fast, but it's a rolling baboon butt, and it handles like one too. "

The V-Rod definitely doesn't handle any better (at least not the one I rode).
Old 04-07-2003, 01:54 PM   #74
Zapata
Founding Member

Default Re: The Runaway

The Highwayman desperately wants a moto-journalist gig at motorcycle.com or similar. His prose, to be sure, is overblown & florid, kinda like swimming through a swamp of molasses, but that never stopped J. Burns from moving up the ranks.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:03 PM   #75
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I don't know if I'd call it ancient- it is somewhat different than the H-d. Specifically, on two points:

1) It has a four-valve head

2) It seems to have much better natural balance, since they don't have to run a counterbalancer on it to get decent power out of it.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:26 PM   #76
Mr_Bigglesworth
Founding Member

I know all those things because I was a H-D tech for a number of years. Guys would bring those things in asking for "just a quick (cheap) tune-up," and we'd have to tell them it would take $2-3k of repairs before we'd even risk a test ride around the block. We called those bikes "tar babies" because if you just touched them once, to fix one little thing, you'd end up hopelessly ensnared forever.

Seriously, Evo-era and later H-Ds are actually very nice, reliable machines, at least until their owners take a wrench to them. A large part of the Japanese trouble-free reputation has to do with the fact that their riders seem less inclined to FUBAR them.
Mr_Bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:57 AM   #77
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default What's next, fighting dragons?

What's with the old soothsayer bit? Now the Harley men are being elevated to the status of mythic gods. What's next, fighting dragons?
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 05:26 AM   #78
seruzawa
The Toad

Screaming Eagle heads are four valve also. Anyhow the people I'm referring to don't make the 4-valve/counterbalancer distinction either. Just blanket "air-cooled = crap". On that basis their criticisms are hypocracy.

I'm not knocking the Warrior at all. If it weren't for the stupid ridiculously forward controls I would consider one. Well, then I guess I am knocking it. Those dumbass controls make me far more likely to go for a new Dyna-Glide Sport (after my kid graduates from college).
Old 04-08-2003, 05:41 AM   #79
seruzawa
The Toad

Ah yes, the nostalgia of the 70's. Everybody had extended fork tubes, even RD350s.

Then there was the door-to-door salesman I knew who had a local pair of "Harley mechanics" chop the neck on his Sportser and put on 15" over tubes. The rake was so radical that the sliders barely functioned and his main shock absorption was the flex of the tubes. These two criminals merely cut a section out of the backbone, bent the neck back and welded the incorrectly mated tubes together. The two forward frame members bend backward at different angles. I foolishly rode it once. The thing had a decided pull to the left. Of course the moron who rode it thought it was the greastest thing since sliced bread.

Then there were the criminals at AEE Choppers who were still selling fork slugs....

Ah, those were the days, weren't they? One cringes to think of all the Panheads and Knuckleheads that were permanently ruined with those stupid gooseneck chop jobs.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:46 AM   #80
seruzawa
The Toad

As if any of these things have what you could actually call "handling".