Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-07-2003, 04:27 AM   #51
drthompson65
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 V-Rod Vs. Warrior Reader Feedback

I would take the Warrior over the Harley most due to the 7800 dollar delta. For 12K plus another 2k in mods you can get the Warrior dancing.

What I would love to see is the VRod motor given to Buell and a real american sport bike be built.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2003, 04:44 AM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

You are right about the Warrior. Though at resale time the supposed money saved buying the Yamaha will be moonshine.

It's still an ancient air-cooled pushrod design that some here used as their main attack on the HD. I'm wondering where these souls are.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:26 AM   #53
erikthered
Founding Member

You really have to look at value to determine cost. The Yamaha may cost $6,000 less with the pipe and shtuff, but it's gonna get $6,000 less when you re-sell it. These things go for half of new a year after sale, and that won't happen to the V-Rod. Check e-bay.

That said, I think the Yamaha is the most convincing Japanese cruiser yet. It has "the stance". But I have to say, I'm a guy who actually likes the feel of my Harley, as a cruiser. I couldn't bring myself to buy a crusier with another badge, because they are just different, not better. I could never understand why the Japanese are so hell bent on copying harley, when they have their own stuff that equally unique. I loved my KZ900, why did they abandon standards for soooo long? Their sportbikes are without equal. But they want a peice of the cruiser pie, and they are imitating instead of innovating. Well, that's my opinion, anyway. I'm not a Harley Mountain Man either, I own some Italian hardware as well, for scaring the ***** out of myself on, and am eyeing an R1 as soon as the Mille is paid off.

Also- I've ridden V-Rods, and I don't like the ergos, I'm 6'2", 240 with a 32 inch inseam (Barney Rubble legs), and I'm fully stretched to get to the controls, which is not a comfortable perch from which to ride. It's a fast machine, I love the look, but couldn't own the bike without modification. I like my Road King as a cruiser and a tourer, so this may not be an area where I'm qualified to judge, but I think they both sacrifice too much for "the look".

Harley- Stuff that motor in some other platforms!! Lets have a sport tourer and a Buell with that monster!!! Come on!! Some of us Harley guys have an open mind!!!
erikthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:03 AM   #54
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Yamaha Warrior half price after one year??? Where do I get mine? Someone please explain this great Harley resale value to me. Here's how I figure it. Avg. 20K up front. Pipes and filter and recarb ~1000. Sell it two years later for 18K. Does not sound too bad. Oh! but wait! How about that extra 5K of chrome and goodies spent. Lets see. 20K+1K+5K=26K-18K=8K gone in 2 yrs. Also anyone heard of "Time value of money"? BTW I recommend cycletrader.com for MC searches, you will have more reliable results. Just a suggestion. Am I missing something with this resale thing?
Old 04-07-2003, 07:50 AM   #55
erikthered
Founding Member

Apparently you are. $20K up front? It's always the same Bullsh!t argument from you guys. If you HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW! you can easily pay that, but if you're patient, and you don't go to the dealers who gouge, it's not like that. I bought a 2002 Road King, $17353, list. No hassle, just an hour of phone research, found the bike an hour away. I put chrome controls on it, Hooker Headers, re-map, for a total of $1200. Everything else is basically chromed from the factory. $18600 total. I could sell it right now for what I have in it. Period. And the "Time value of money" is nothing I've heard of, despite years of cost accounting for my job, and a business degree. You may be thinking "transaction cost", but that doesn't wash here either. It's a matter of your personal motivation. If you want a good deal on a Harley, you'll find one. If you don't, you'll start *****ing that they cost $20K and buy an imitation.

I've been buying and selling bikes for some time now, mostly to "trade up" to better stuff, and the best place I've found to get a good deal, with a little patience, is E-Bay motors. Right now you could buy a basically new Warrior (Under 2K miles)for $8900 there. There are 3 right now. Give it a year, and you'll be in the $6000-$7000 range for a 5000 mile bike. I'm not guessing on this, I've bought and sold a few bikes this way. Now go look at the H-D area and see what those are moving for. It's a fact, whether you like it or not. Triumphs are even worse, they drop like a rock.

The resale thing is not a myth, it's reality, for now. The one thing all H-D owners want to watch is this- Every year the motor company makes more and more bikes. Exclusivity, or the illusion of it, is a large factor in resale. Permanence is another. H-D's are good platforms for customizing, and easy to rebuild, so they tend to stay on the market longer than the Asian competition. As soon as they're less rare, resale could take it right in the berries. Then- all bets are off.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:07 AM   #56
john
Founding Member

Depends on your area. I know in DFW, you would get abut 14,000, wholesale and could sell it private for 16,000. You wouldnt get 18 for it.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:18 AM   #57
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default "Latest and Greatest?" You're half right ...

you may have tested two of the "latest" power cruisers, but you've cleanly missed the mark on the "greatest." both the valkyrie and the v-max (both of which are still in production) would've turned the tables in the upstart chrome piglet; the v-max in stock tune, the valkyrie with an easily fitted blower.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 08:24 AM   #58
erikthered
Founding Member

My bad, It's a Road King Classic, worth about $1500 more than a standard King (hence the $17K+ price) and I'll use my e-bay analogy again. There are a couple on there, most notably a similarly equipped '02 with 26 bids on it, currently at $18200, with 1 day left on the auction.

It's a national market. You can safely ship anywhere in the US for $400. The value/re-sale value argument holds up.

For now.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:35 AM   #59
erikthered
Founding Member

Default Re:

Maybe, but both the "Chrome Piglet" and the Yamaha look better, and that's most of the deal in this market. A V-Max sure as hell is fast, but it's a rolling baboon butt, and it handles like one too. I owned one 10 years ago, and it was outdated then. Fast, but nasty. And a Valkrie is uglier yet. Some people just can't stand it when H-D does something right.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:38 AM   #60
erikthered
Founding Member

Amen to that. I'd be the first in line for a revolution powered Buell.....