Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-28-2003, 11:09 PM   #31
odklr
Founding Member

Default Re: Doc Martens 2A42Z Feedback

The new combat (as of 12 years ago) boots are as durable as the older style. I wear black BDU trousers with my MX boots for dual sport riding. If I wore combat boots people would think I had joined a militia. If I had the $160 to spare I'd buy a pair of Danner Gortex boots. So what if I would look like a Mad Max extra.
odklr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2003, 07:22 AM   #32
pplassm
Founding Member

I was going to ask the same question. I notice no one has stepped up to the plate.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:57 AM   #33
rsheidler
Founding Member

I think I will try market flip flops with ti toe sliders -- make those nice sparks like Troy Bayliss!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 03:55 PM   #34
tumbler
Founding Member

Yea it seems like sometimes people on these discussion boards(unfortunately myself as of late) get into pissing battles over who can come up with the most insightful observations of the hypothetical instead of first hand experience. To get the good information from the people on these boards who seem to have genuine first hand knowledge on certain topics you need a pretty good BS-o-meter to weed out those who just want to throw in their two cents.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 04:28 PM   #35
kawazuki
Founding Member

I wonder if the premium on the "exposed steel toe" (assuming this isn't an early AFD joke) is more than the cost of a cheap 4 1/2" angle grinder from Harbor Freight. Because watching people buy broken boots that cost more then the cost of the new boots and the cost of the tool to modify them would just be funny.

Personally, I'll stick with my Wescos. Sure, they were $400 when I bought them, but they've lasted a lot longer than any other pair of boots I've ever owned, and since they were custom made for my foot measurements, they are also the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. And the only way I was going to get knee high boots for my giant self was to have them custom made anyway.

But I usually wear Hi-Points when I ride, anyway. Armor is your friend. Yay armor.

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 05:31 PM   #36
kawazuki
Founding Member

No, no. You want Mad Max, you need Hi-Points from Alpinestars. Nothing says Mad Max like a giant stainless steel plate across your shin. And a sawed-off double-barrelled shotgun. And the Hi-points actually have ankle support / protection, and those cool steel toe tips. I tell you, cars back right the f$ck up if you drag your toes across the ground on concrete freeways and start throwing a spray of sparks from your feet. It's like magic.

And then you need to repaint your motorcycle. Flat black. Rustoleum flat black. From the pint can. With a brush. And then lightly sand the dried finish with some 600 grit sandpaper to highlight the grain structure of the brush marks. Now that looks weathered, post-apocalyptic, and Mad Max as all get out. I can take pictures if you don't believe me.

Leather pants, a police duty-belt full of pouches and stuff, and a worn leather jacket with an overlayed canvas vest-of-many-pockets will help round out the look.

I still think the whole exposed steel toe boots article is an early April Fool's joke, though.

-Kawazuki
Old 03-29-2003, 07:37 PM   #37
kawazuki
Founding Member

I have a pair of recent manufacture jump boots made by Corcoran. They are of good quality, though I don't wear them very frequently, because I have other boots that are taller. And dangit, I just like the way it looks.

-Kawazuki
Old 03-30-2003, 06:42 PM   #38
sarnali
Founding Member

On the plus side the steel plate will keep the aliens from locking on to your brain waves and kidnapping you like they did with Elvis
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 06:53 PM   #39
sarnali
Founding Member

I had a cast iron valve body that weighed about 30lbs fall out of a vice and bounce off my steel toe engineer boots once, I'd hate to think what my toes would have looked like w/o steel toe boots.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:55 AM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

I always thought that longride was more a "Lone biker of the Apocalypse" from "Raising Arizona" than a Road Warrior type.