Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-23-2003, 02:02 AM   #61
Haru
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 600 Shootout: Is 636cc Cheating?

man, you are really reaching here trying to make a distinction between a smaller bike trying to compete with a bigger ones and a bigger bike competing with smaller ones.

the Kawasaki costs the same, weighs the least, rides and feels about the same, and as far as I am concerned, its a 600cc class bike. if the extra 36cc bothers you so much, don't buy one. Why is this 599cc thing so sacrosanct? why does it matter in the real world, to a real world rider whether a bike is 599 or 636cc?

the way I see it, your argument is purely academic and of little relevance to the real world. People who go around saying, "I want buy a 599cc bike and will not accept a 636cc" have perfectly good options available to them. However, I doubt that few actual riders would make a decision based on that. They will go on what the comparison tests are saying, on their brand favoritism, their stylistic tastes, etc. I doubt very much that ANYONE would buy the 6RR instead of the R just because its 599cc instead of 636.

In short, you don't have a case.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2003, 03:49 AM   #62
micro
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending the CBR 600 RR (Evidence contary to MO opinion)

Honda won the performance bikes shootout by overall goodness, but the big difference

trere is the honda is cheaper than r6 or 636 by 450 pounds.This would indicate they are worried.
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 04:35 AM   #63
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Sean, you should know better than to interrupt KP when he's frantically link posting. You could end up with html all over you.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 04:54 AM   #64
Van
Founding Member

Default Re: MR. ALLCAPS ON 600'S

This guy Gabe here is the best poster with the best concept M.O.'s seen in, well, forever.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 04:55 AM   #65
DialedIN
Founding Member

All I know about the 636 is that my local dealer can't keep them from flying off the showroom floor. I live in South Central Texas, so track days are few and far between, and expensive to run up to Texas Motor Speedway for a weekend. So street riding is what wins, and there is no replacement for displacement.

All this land down here and no one builds a track. I guess deer hunting for a month a year is more profitable.

MO great vidios, great reading.

Honda has lost sight of what the people want, just look at the "rune" or is that "ruin".

Ok 9 am the sun is warming up, my new zrx is calling. Glad the old lady sleeps late on sunday so she can't start the honey-do's untill I get back. Keep the beer cold for me honey, you know how I hate doing yard work unless I'm unproffesionaly drunk!!!!!
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:06 AM   #66
Metcalfe_500R
Founding Member

I belive he was refering to the ZX-12R vs. the busa.
Metcalfe_500R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:50 AM   #67
reepicheep
Founding Member

Honda US has some serious stupidity going on.

I used to participate as a volunteer for a NYPUM... National Youth Program Using Minibikes. This was a lot of work, I can't count how many non-running XR-70's I have had to push a quarter mile back uphill to the shed, and how many flooded engines I have had to coax back to life. I still have a bruised instep a year later.

Anyway, we did this as part of a church based group. Call us crazy, but we think that maybe long term and serious life change can't happen without the person being involved within a community of supporters (read: Church). Nobody was forced to do anything, and participation was not contingent upon faith. But we know that faith and group based recovery programs (which if these kids don't need right now, the will be needing shortly) work about 10 times as well as non faith and group based recovery programs, so we are happy when we see the kids taking a path that might work. These kids are on a short path to serious trouble, and it makes us happy to see them take a path that has a much better real world track record.

After like 15 years of this with everything being fine, all of a sudden Honda US Corporate tells us we either have to stop calling this an ministry program and stop talking about God, or they are going to take the bikes back.

So let me get this straight.... We try to get these kids to make real and lasting life change, tell them not to cheat, not to steal, to accept responsibility for their actions, not to do drugs, to work hard and be respectfull... but we can't pray for them or invite them to church or celebrate with them if they decide to become a part of a community of like minded individuals?

Give me a break. Honda showed up last fall with a truck and took all the dirtbikes away. I had to tell two at risk kids, who's dad had died under really bad circumstances the previous week, that this was going to be their last ride for quite a while.

It is Honda's business what they do with their bikes, but my right to call them idiots for doing so. Makes me wonder what kind of stupidity reigns at Honda US Corporate (motorcycle division anyway). Thanks for not pulling any punches MO!
reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:51 AM   #68
sarnali
Founding Member

The Italian site said the Honda stunk like a Napolian squid boat on a hot day, and the other test's were not comparison's but track test's, hardly representative of the real world, in fact from a street perspective it appears the Triumph won. frankly I'm surprised you'd even bring it up, is the bloom off the rose with your Kawasaki already?, first bike's are usually like first poon, something you never forget. If you're going to jump ship, do yourself a favor and get a Suzuki.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:56 AM   #69
Van
Founding Member

Somebody else here already made the point, and I happen to agree with them. Honda didn't decline to give M.O. a bike because they feared their bike would fare poorly. If that were the case, they wouldn't have let their bike be tested against the competition by every other mag out there.

On the other hand, maybe Honda felt they wouldn't get a fair shake from M.O. in this one instance, due to recent events. If that's the case, M.O.'s to blame. That'd be inexcusable.

I don't buy that theory. I'd REALLY like to think that M.O.'s above that sort of behavior. Moreover, I really doubt M.O.'s that stupid. No moto magazine could hope to stay viable for long by ripping off and intentionally alienating Honda, or even by giving Honda the impression that such a situation were possible.

No, I suspect it's probably just about the way Honda explained it to M.O. They decided to punish M.O., this one time.

Hopefully this won't happen again.

Moving on.....

In a literal sense, yes, Kawi is cheating a bit here by having the extra 36 ccs. Of course they are. Their ZX-6RR isn't faring very well in most reviews, especially in the motor department. It looks like the R6 and 600RR would have the ZX-6RR well beaten in a head to head shootout.

That being the case, who cares? Like someone said, there's no tear down on the street. Congrats to Kawi for finally coming out with a class leading bike. God knows it's been awhile.

All in all, with the possible exception of the somewhat long in the tooth seeming Suzuki, it would seem that devotees of the other three Japanese brands may now choose a 600 with smug confidence.

You're a Kawi fan? Your bike now looks modern, and it's the lightest, fastest and the only one with radial brakes and upside down forks. It has all the cool instrument features and it even offers the most color choices. From reading a multitude of reviews your bike seems to have the best fuel injection of the group, and that never sucks. Hell, Kawi's even finally gotten their valve adjustment intervals up to par with this one. It's priced right, as well. If I'm a Kawi fan, I'm thoroughly stoked.

Yamaha fan? Aside from the fact that your bike isn't the most powerful, you've got everything else you could want and it is plenty powerful enough. With the possible exception of the Honda you've still got the best looking 600, and dynamically your bike seems to do everything else exceedingly well.

Honda fan? You've been asking for it forever, and now you've got it: A no excuses, uncompromised, dead serious 600. With apologies to Kawi, your bike is the trickest 600 ever made. Your bike is right there on top end power. Your bike just won Daytona (for those of you that place any importance on such matters). Your bike is probably still pieced together better than anybody else's. Your bike may be the best looking 600 ever, which, for Honda, is a major departure! Is your bike heavier than the others? Yep. Will it feel like it? Nope. Beyond bench racing masturbation sessions, will it matter? Nope.

All in all, it just seems to me that this year 600 fans have really got it made. I typically don't like Kawis and I sell against Yamahas, and still I'd be thrilled to ride and even own any of the three new Japanese 600s.

I'd like to ask one favor, if I may...I've been unable to locate the Roadracing World issue with the 600 shootout, the one referenced by JB in this M.O. shootout. Roadracing World's website doesn't offer the actual story.

Could somebody here please cut and paste the story? If that's not possible, maybe just a brief summation of their opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of each bike, and their dyno findings?

Thanks, in advance.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 06:01 AM   #70
reepicheep
Founding Member

Honda US has some serious stupidity going on.

I used to participate as a volunteer for a NYPUM... National Youth Program Using Minibikes. This was a lot of work, I can't count how many non-running XR-70's I have had to push a quarter mile back uphill to the shed, and how many flooded engines I have had to coax back to life. I still have a bruised instep a year later.

Anyway, we did this as part of a church based group. Call us crazy, but we think that maybe long term and serious life change can't happen without the person being involved within a community of supporters (read: Church).

After like 15 years of this with everything being fine, all of a sudden Honda US Corporate tells us we either have to stop calling this an ministry program and stop talking about God, or they are going to take the bikes back.

So let me get this straight.... We try to get these kids to make real and lasting life change, tell them not to cheat, not to steal, to accept responsibility for their actions, not to do drugs, to work hard and be respectfull... but we can't pray for them or invite them to church or celebrate with them if they decide to become a part of a community of like minded individuals?

Give me a break. Honda showed up last fall with a truck and took all the dirtbikes away. I had to tell two at risk kids, who's dad had died under really bad circumstances the previous week, that this was going to be their last ride for quite a while.

It is Honda's business what they do with their bikes, but my right to call them idiots for doing so. Makes me wonder what kind of stupidity reigns at Honda US Corporate (motorcycle division anyway). Thanks for not pulling any punches MO!
reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote