Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-22-2003, 03:04 AM   #11
VFR1273
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 600 Shootout: Is 636cc Cheating?

No...636cc is not cheating...Honda is...Honda does not like it when the truth gets out.

Honda traditionally is the most expensive of the Japanese big 4, both with motorcycles and cars as well. I like the Honda motorcyle products and have owned several, but they are often overpriced and have crappy suspension. The British press worships Honda products (The GSXR1000 whoops the 954, but the 954 still "wins"). MO tells it like it is...BIG MISTAKE...Honda, used to such codelling by the press, must be pissed off goood!. The other magazines say "every bike is good, no real winner, it depends what you want...blah, blah, blah". No real commitment inother words. MO-Kepp up the good work!
VFR1273 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2003, 03:22 AM   #12
uberhawk
Founding Member

Interesting, as the 500 class gave way to the 550s of the GPz era, which later begat the 600 class now we are back to 650 class.

Sad about American Honda, my guess is that the RRW review has them spooked. Maybe after Kurtis saved 'em at Daytona they will loosen up... Not that Kurtis rides anything resembling what's on the showroom floor.

Daryl
uberhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:03 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Maybe VTwins aren't so "obsolete."

One can only wonder how much more competitive the Duc would have been with a 50 lb. weight loss.

Perhaps it's the steel trellis frame that's "obsolete."

Cheers to Kawi for launching itself back to the top. Now if I could just clear out a little more space in my garage.......................
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:17 AM   #14
Haru
Founding Member

a Kawasaki is the featherweight of the class?! This has got to be a first! This is really turning me on! Bring on the ZX-10R!!!

two more points:

1. 636 is not cheating. Kawasaki has been competing against the litre bikes with a 900, against the Hayabusa with a 1200, and now they go one up on the 600s, suddenly everybody starts whining? I guess people just don't like their favorite brand for once being given a bloody nose by the dunce.

2. Honda, SCREW YOU.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:58 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

If Honda can call the old 736cc CB a 750...

If Suzuki can call the 1157cc Bandit a 1200...

If Honda can call the old 325cc CB a 350...

If BSA could call the old 625cc twin a 650....

(insert other examples here, ad nauseum)...

Then Kawasaki can call the 636cc bike a frikkin' 600 if they want.

What's the matter? Didn't po' widdo Honda get sufficient @$$-kissing? I guess they expect you to be a complete Honda toadying sycophant publication like Cycle World.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:28 AM   #16
Jimmm
Registered Member

Good Review, some comments on the R6

1. Checked the british mags; they all mention the front end feel in their road tests (with d208's) but not the launch( with pilots). In one launch review the 120/60 tire size is discussed, so I think the launch bikes were 120/60.

Could it be that the Dunlop is not a good choice for the R6? Weird that Yamaha would put them on the bikes.

2. Did you ask Yamaha why we got the MOST BORING COLOR choice? No red, no yellow. I like the blue design the brits get better. If I buy one, and I am considering as it is the one I like the look of, I will get the siliver, by default. I'd much preferred the red or yellow.

Jim
Jimmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:01 AM   #17
Nem
Registered Member

can't deny kawi might get whooped again if others made a 600+ too.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:33 AM   #18
dbrunell
Founding Member

No, 636cc is not cheating. The only thing that matters in commercial sales is the performance-to-cost ratio. It's notable that Kawasaki also has the lightest bike, despite the displacement advantage. Isn't that what it's all about?

Pity about Honda. They seem to be shooting themselves in the foot lately. First the VTEC VFR, now rumors of a VTEC Blackbird. What travesty will they commit with the CBR1000? Their race results and street performance are going in opposite directions. The same could be said about Kawasaki, fortunately to the consumer's advantage. If current trends continue, I'll be trading my Honda in on a Kawasaki next year.

dbrunell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:49 AM   #19
Betamax
Founding Member

Default you're either unprofessional or not

you say that Honda accused you of 'drunken unprofessionalism' on the part of Minime and you also brag about being fired for the same from Motorcyclist.

Well, if you are unprofessional, then don't bleat about when people treat you accordingly.

If you want to be a rebel, fine. I applaud your individualism. But don't cry about how you're treated afterward. That just makes you a hypocrite.

And if you're not unprofessional, then don't suggest that you are. Make up your mind.

Either you're professional and have been unjustly treated, or you're unprofessional as accused and have been justly treated. You don't get to have it both ways, and you don't get to play both rebel and victim.

Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 07:20 AM   #20
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I have always liked Honda motorcycles and still do. I'm a past and very possibly future owner of Honda motorcycles. I'm a fan of Honda. Guys, it seems to me Honda's been dropping the ball lately. First the whole Edwards deal and now this? Honda, nobody says you have to always stand tall but your fans would like to see you at least stand up. Motorcyclists, I think, are passionate by nature. Where's your passion Honda? Don't be that cold, indifferent, Mega Corp. that would lose it's ability to excite or to have fans. If your products will only appear in Magazines guaranteeing a "favorable" review I'll not purchase them. The "Motortrends" of the journalism world seem very obvious to me. If "drunken unprofessionalism" has any part of making Motorcycle Online the fine and informative (passionate?) Magazine I have found it to be then so be it. I'm not MO's momma or a cop and Honda, neither are you. MO, John, Sean and Will thank you for a GREAT and to me highly anticipated comparo. Congrats Kawasaki! Every bike there looked like a winner in it's own way to me. PS I'd be glad to buy any of you a drink and talk bikes anytime.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote