Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-24-2003, 01:09 PM   #181
davefzr
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 600 Shootout: Is 636cc Cheating?

I believe that it is. This 636cc engine is just a way of competing with the other brands without falling back on sound technical practices for producing motorcycles. It's almost like saying, Hey, I cant compete with all these great motorcycles out there so I am adding a new class called above 600cc and making everyone try and catch up. To me that doesnt make much sense.

Thankx.
davefzr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2003, 01:11 PM   #182
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending Honda and the CBR600RR

They're Honda, and they're the best motorcycle manufacturer in the world- just ask them and they'll tell you all about it.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:12 PM   #183
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default I was wondering where you were.

It's about time you chimed in. Were you out cruising around in your chick car with your 5" daughter?

The mods are official. I'll post them in another thread since this one is too huge to follow anymore.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:13 PM   #184
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 600 Shootout: Is 636cc Cheating?

"Not that Kurtis rides anything resembling what's on the showroom floor."

Yeah, especially since you can't buy one... I don't understand how you can race a bike in a production class that no one else can buy.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:17 PM   #185
rsheidler
Founding Member

So....el Flaco dumps the scooter while testing it -- I guess no testers ever crash test bikes? He and the rest of the MO staff apologize, and in any case, el Flaco is back at the UW.

MiniMe gets drunk (presumably on Honda-supplied booze) and supposedly acts unprofessionally. Dunno if that is true, but he is gone from MO so where is Honda's beef?

If they are still p!ssed as JB for his overindulgence while at Motorcyclist, why don't they hold that against Motorcyclist like they apparently hold el Flaco's and MiniMe's indiscretions against MO?

Personally, I don't have anything against Honda -- I have owned several (both 2 and 4 wheeled) and respect the quality and engineering in their products. While I am ticked off over some of their PR issues, I doubt I would allow that to influence my buying decision (except maybe as a tie-breaker) -- I an not gonna deliberately chose an inferior bike just 'cause I'm p!ssed at the maker of the best one.

BTW, the tests from the magazines I trust (aside from MO, I include Roadracing World) rank the Honda near the back of the pack. Frankly, I think that the mainstream print rags have a pretty strong pro-Honda bias. Maybe s omething to do with those Honda ****tail parties?
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:18 PM   #186
KPaulCook
Banned

Thanks for making my point.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:28 PM   #187
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Enough Apologies

No reason to keep apologizing. If you REALLY test a bike, you have to push it close to the limits. If you do that, you will occassionally crash. If you were testing a $30,000 exotic or Rossi's GSV or something like that, it is reasonable to expect a little more restraint, but it's an effin' scooter, for gods sake!

Regards

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:32 PM   #188
KPaulCook
Banned

Default I apologize

Fair enough. I read Burns "Maybe they just decided to adopt the old "protect the product" strategy, knowing they have a 20 or 30-pound heavier bike on their hands in an important and highly competitive class, and that MO is not known for pulling punches? "

This started the bandwagon that the CBR was a dog see notes by HolyKaw, longride others. So went into KPaul mode...

Do not get me wrong I love the review. But maybe you guys need to use a good cop/bad (or not as good) cop thing with bike makers. I love your reviews, video pictures, etc. I think you are way ahead of me on this. I want you guys to succeed but sometimes maybe someone should be the good cop as opposed to the bad or irreverent cop like Burns. Maybe I am being much too presumptuous.

I'll shut my mouth now and go back to enjoying your great videos and pictures

Old 03-24-2003, 01:34 PM   #189
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Confucious say....

I like that one.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:37 PM   #190
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Not to pile it on but. Where is.....

?????

What???

What does this have to do with anything?

Okay, here goes:

The Buell isn't a racebike, and isn't meant to compete in any way, shape, or form with the CBR. However, on a winding road, (where the Buell was designed to be used) the Buell would probably em-bare-ass the CBR, because of the following features:

Wheelbase - 2.7" (might as well be a mile) shorter than CBR

Torque- 50% more than the CBR at 1/2 the RPM

Fully Adjustable INVERTED Forks

Aluminum frame

You can buy one, TODAY!

All of which are vastly more important on a winding road than the following CBR features:

Shift Light (worthless)

10 more HP at 15 million RPM

You can't buy one.